Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Even more misleading "surveys" on drink

Options
  • 25-09-2003 9:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭

Saw on TV3 that the Economist says the Irish spend more on drink than Holland, Germany, France and I think Austria combined. We spend 50% more than the British. I saw news reports saying Irish top of “drinks table”. But the key word here is SPEND, all this survey proved is how ridiculously overpriced drink is here not how much we drink. We are usually in the top 5 per capita in Europe but so are the brits Germany and France and I am sure the Dutch enjoy a beer with so many good breweries so the fact we are spending more than 4 countries combined is a disgrace, not our drinking but that we are being screwed.

There seem to be many dodgy surveys at the moment that don’t give much info. The best was that only 51% of people are supporting the smoking ban, but this was taken in a survey about the government’s performance in general. After many questions to which most answered the government were wrong, people were riled up and therefore when asked about the smoking ban they again said “no the government is wrong”.

Whats that quote, 90% of statistics are bull$hit

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Reminds me of an article I saw in the Irish Times recently aout women become bigger spenders in the economy which said "50% of restaurant patrons are now female" :rolleyes:

In fairness though, I would believe the 51% for smoking. The only supporters are non-smokers. The opposers are made up of smokers, non-smokers and people who like to disagree with the government. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,279 ✭✭✭regi

I know smokers who are well in favour of it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 606 ✭✭✭pencil

I only smoke when in the boozer and am in favour of the ban
    (I may finally get off the bloody things)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭gollem_1975

yeah .. I smoke mostly when I am in the pub and intend to give up ( again ) at some stage. so in this way I am hoping it will make things a little easier. I fuppin chain smoke when I'm in the pub.
    It will be interesting to see how it works out . if I doesn't work the opposition can always say that if they get in they'll roll it back .. no ??

as for the surveys on drink ..

anedoctally you would have to say that no-one ( well I don't know about the scandanavians and I hear they put them away too ) drinks like us Drunk leprechauns!! until they come over to dublin of course , then they see what they've been missing out on and 'do as the romans'!!
    there is also something to be said for the price of drink here as well .. might be more accurate to say what quantity of pure alcohol per person or how many pints per person .
    however I think the stats for drink and smokes were €1,365 per person for a year in Ireland spent on drink.
    on average 5 ciggies are smoked per person per day in this country.
    main reasons for this I think are the convergence of a high proportion of people with increased disposable income in the 18 - 30 bracket over the last few years and this group ( myself included )have been partying like its 1999 .

• Registered Users Posts: 4,666 ✭✭✭Imposter

I seen an article recently which, if I remember correctly, put ireland somewhere like 3rd or 4th in terms of consumption of alcohol. Germany were first I think with something like 120-150 litres of beer (incl. guinness and other non-sweet draught type things) per year on average. That would mean many are well over that amount. Not sure if it was on a specific subset like 18-30's. Must find article!

• Advertisement
Advertisement