Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

A very worrying trend

• 25-09-2003 12:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 679 ✭✭✭

Gary Kelly has resigned from international football. This is a very worrying trend of players retiring long before they need to in my opinion. First there was Keane, then Kiely and now Kelly. All of there players could have played for another few seasons. Its not like Ireland have a huge pool of players to pick from!

http://www.soccercentral.ie/viewstory.asp?id=10921&mainheading=Republic+of+Ireland&viewstory=yes

<edit>updated link</edit>

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

I didn't hear anything about it. Where did you get that news?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Originally posted by ciano
    Gary Kelly has resigned from international football. This is a very worrying trend of players retiring long before they need to in my opinion. First there was Keane, then Kiely and now Kelly. All of there players could have played for another few seasons. Its not like Ireland have a huge pool of players to pick from!

That is a pitty but I think players do this because they know there unlikely to play a part unless theres huge injuries.

I'm sure Kelly looks and sees Carr, Finnan, O'Shea and Harte all being before. Although I think he could still have done a job if called upon.

Hope he gets a testimonial he's done well for us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 679 ✭✭✭ciano

Originally posted by eireboy
    I didn't hear anything about it. Where did you get that news?

woops. forgot to give the link. Sorry 'bout that!

http://www.soccercentral.ie/viewstory.asp?id=10921&mainheading=Republic+of+Ireland&viewstory=yes

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Kelly was one of Ireland's best players at the world cup. If this is actually his resignation then it will be a huge blow to Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Is it a resignation or a realisation that he aint getting his game anymore???

He was a good player, still is but if both managers preferred to play others ahead of him he just having a hissy fit.
    No loss unless theres an injury but there are better right backs and right midfielders there. If he wasnt content to sit on the bench for Ireland not really much a manager can do.

But he did well for us when he played.

kdjac

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 46 brucealmighty

Where is the how dare he turn his back on his country Thread ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Originally posted by brucealmighty
    Where is the how dare he turn his back on his country Thread ?

He hasn't been selected for the squad since Kerr took over.

So I think you mean how dare his country turn its back on him.

Are you trying to draw comparisons here??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭Eron

Its depressing, but what can you do? Look at Irelands last few games, they have played mediocre, if anything. And when he is sitting on the bench (If even that!) he is thinking, ok, I am 29 and I am wasting time sitting here when I could be getting payed for sitting on a warmer bench in Yorkshire. - I don't blame him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 537 ✭✭✭Oswald Osbourne

Kelly hadn't played a single minute of football under Kerr's stewardship so the manager had pretty much made the decision for the player before he decided to 'announce' his retirement.

All the same it is not a good sign when players (who clearly have something left to offer the team) are turning their back on us. Noteably two players now (Kelly and Kiely) have already dropped out of the squad in less than a year under Kerr. This doesn't give the impression a squad who have complete faith in their managers ability to lead them to major finals.

And I'm sure if we don't qualify for Portugal that (as usual) others will quickly follow Kelly by their own choice.

Advertisement