Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Who deserves a callup?

• 25-09-2003 4:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭

Since Ireland's Midfield isn't the best in the world who do you think Kerr should call up to the squad for the match against the Swizz. One or two should get a call up and we need someone badly.

The only midfield position we are safe in is the left so we need players who can play in the centre and on the right. Andy Reid, Liam Miller and Graeme Kavanagh are performing well for there clubs and I haven't got a clue how McAteer is doing but he has the experience to cover for Duff as Duff looks like he will be playing on the right.

Who should be given a chance to impress.

Who should be given a chane to impress? 21 votes

Liam Miller
    0% 0 votes
    Graeme Kavanagh
    23% 5 votes
    Andy Reid
    4% 1 vote
    Jason McAteer
    38% 8 votes
    Don't risk any of these for the Swizz match
    9% 2 votes
    Other - Please post who
    23% 5 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,392 ✭✭✭jonno

I'd say Liam Miller and Jason McAteer (cover) out of that group.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 679 ✭✭✭ciano

Andy Reid, Liam Miller, Sean Thornton and Paddy Kenny (although injured at the 'mo) are all worthy of a chance at international level in my opinion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

I voted Reid but I think Miller as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭Space Coyote

Andy Reid. Maybe Liam Miller aswell. If we only needed a draw then I'd stick with the the usual suspects in midfield. We have to win, we need some creativity, so I think its worth risking one or two youngsters.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

Originally posted by eireboy
    Since Ireland's Midfield isn't the best in the world who do you think Kerr should call up to the squad for the match against the Swizz.

[...snip...]

Who should be given a chance to impress.

Roy Keane.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Originally posted by Bard
    Roy Keane.

:rolleyes:
    Some people just can't let go.
    :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Originally posted by Bard
    Roy Keane.

Oh please do stop it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 432 ✭✭ChumpStain

I would definitely put Kavanagh in there, hes a good anchorman and both Miller and Reid should be included because of their excellent form this season. Plus with each of those players you get a little of everything in the team. Holding the ball, tackling and experience from Kavanagh or flair and vision from Reid and a mixture of both in Miller. So hopefully all three get called up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

Kavanagh deserves to atleast get an international cap hes a class player and Reid hes very good to

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Miller has really really impressed me at the start of this season. Plus the fact that he's playing Champions League football. :p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭AngelofFire

Definately Miller. Hes one of our few players getting first team action in the Champions league. Kerr would be mad to leave him out considering that we`re going to need as many capable players as possible for next month.

Miller would probably be our best option for right midfield. Carsely is playing reserve team football and Reid is still unproven at any level beyond the nationwide league.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭Sundy

Originally posted by kmart6
    Kavanagh deserves to atleast get an international cap hes a class player and Reid hes very good to

Kavanagh has international caps and got a goal on his debut if i remember rightly against sweden i think

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

Originally posted by Sundy
    Kavanagh has international caps and got a goal on his debut if i remember rightly against sweden i think

Oop's my mistake

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

So far 5 people have voted for both Miller and Reid. A lot of people are saying Kavanagh but still no votes for him. Miller and Kavanagh would be my choices.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

Ok, I was kinda half trolling and half serious there... chill out :)

It was suggested recently though that the door was still open for Keane to return and now would be probably the ideal time. His skills would be massively helpful considering the current state of the team, and with the amount of water passed under the bridge since the "incidents", there should be no animosity.

It's not going to happen, but it would be nice if it did. People have come out of retirement before for Ireland, haven't they?...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭Kone

I would say Miller but I don't think we should tinker too much with the squad, we have to win and ok I know the midfield at the moment aren't exactly setting the footballing world on fire (with the obvious exception of Duffer!) but I think for this game we should stick with what we know.

BTW I am going to be sh1tting myself in Basle! :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 310 ✭✭rocco

I dont think any of the above should be thrown into a match of such importance .If they where not to preform to there full ability that could be the end of there short international career which would not be fair.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 537 ✭✭✭Oswald Osbourne

Rivald O'Reilly.

We need a decent player in midfield and I hear he's looking for a game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,838 ✭✭✭DapperGent

Given the trashness of our central midfield I'd like to see Kavanagh in the squad and getting a chance in friendlies to show what he can do.

Wouldn't risk any of the above lads for a game as important as the Swiss one though.

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Originally posted by Oswald Osbourne
    Rivald O'Reilly.

We need a decent player in midfield and I hear he's looking for a game.
    hah... Sounds like a Brazilian living in Cavan. :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement