Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

XP Home or Professional?????

Options
  • 25-09-2003 4:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭

Just got a new home laptop from dell,
    it came with windows XP Home edition,

Just got a new PC in work, it came
    with windows XP Professional.

So my question is: Is Professional a better operating system?
    If it is...
    Is is advisable to install professional when it's technically licenced to my company machine?

Should i stick with Home Edition?

what are your opinions...?

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

Basically they're the same OS, Pro just has more features on it.
    As it says on MS's website.

"...plus premier security and privacy features, advanced recovery options, improved ability to connect to large networks"

or check out this link
    here

• Registered Users Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭GUI

win2k
    power users version of windows!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Win2k Pro Service Pack2

• Registered Users Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭The_Bullman

service pack 2?

isn't it worth getting sp4?

sp4 has alot of bug fixes alright.

create an integrated install..

ie. windows with sp4 already included in the i386 folder

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,779 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

improved ability to connect to large networks"
    RANT
    Windows 95/98/ME/NT3.5/NT4/2K home can all Process Domain login scripts and use domain authentication on file/printer shares, ONLY XP HOME CAN'T - so that bit about XP pro being improved is pure marketing bullshìt - XP home was crippled And what's more M$ pulled powertoys 1.0 because one of the tweaks could get you on to a Domain.
    /RANT

Seriously you are not allowed to transfer an OEM license. You are not allowed install a windows license on more than one PC at at time. You are not allowed to use a license once it has been upgraded to anything else.

From NT4 onwards the workstation / home / server versions of the each revision of windows have had 99% of the files the same - the differences (a few extra services files / registary settings) are only there to get you to buy the more expensive versions.
    If you are a home use there is nothing in XP pro worth paying for.

Note: Features like Drive mirroring / filesharing to more than 10/15 users, DHCP / DNS servers on Workstations for NT/2K/XP have been disabled - you are supposed to buy the SERVER versions instead. (or look at utils on www.sysinternals.com etc.)

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭whiteshadow

Thanks Kananga,

That link told me, on step 5, that if i want to develop ASP applications at home with IIS i'd need XP Pro.
    Dagnammit!

There are some alternatives but they sound a bit iffy.:confused:

Thanks all anyway.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

I'd say, and I'm open to challenge on this, that it comes down to one very simple qualification: If you're a power user, i.e. you do a lot of tweaking and adjusting and tinkering, go with Professional. If you just like to turn it on and start working, or you only make the occasional changes, keep your money in your pocket.

I'm still running Win2K, but that's because my rig ain't all that powerful. I'll be buying a horse of a yoke shortly and I reckon I'll keep XP Professional on that, with Red Hat 10 as my default desktop. Win2K is probably the best OS Microsoft ever turned out, but I reckon it's time to move on now.

adam

• Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭tomED

Originally posted by dahamsta
    Win2K is probably the best OS Microsoft ever turned out

I would have to agree there definitely.... Anyone know much about Windows 2003?

tomED.
    its server edition only

6 flavours

win2k interface but uses winxp start menu by default :/

that can be turned off in a click :-)

• Advertisement

Originally posted by GUI
    tomED.
    its server edition only

6 flavours

win2k interface but uses winxp start menu by default :/

that can be turned off in a click :-)

Cheers GUI,

Is it any good though - would you recmommend it like?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,146 ✭✭✭oneweb

Originally posted by tomED
    I would have to agree there definitely.... Anyone know much about Windows 2003?
    To be released 2005. Apparently. There's not going to be an OS release until then. (Assuming you're not referring to a server edition)

It is what it's.

Originally posted by oneweb
    To be released 2005. Apparently. There's not going to be an OS release until then. (Assuming you're not referring to a server edition)

2003 is already out !!! isn't it - I'm confused now.

Are you sure you're not talkin about the much anticipated Longhorn?

oneweb
    is referring to the next consumer market release.

the follow on to the windows xp.

this is slated for a 2nd quarter 2005 release.

probably be rtm xmas 2004 though.

the server family is windows 2003

one of win2k3 major features is locked down by default,
    part of microsofts new security model.

www.eu.microsoft.com/windows2003

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,779 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

2003 can be looked at as XP Server with a 2000 interface.
    (not too sure how accurate that is under the bonned)

It's the first m$ os after all this secure computing initive thingy - but it still needed all the RPC patches and since IE6 is integrated you still need all the IE6 patches too..

*** I still maintain that Dos5 was the last time M$ produced an OS that did not need three service packs / updates before it was relaitevly stable / usable and had all the obvious security holes fixed.

As for licencing - once I found out that you could install 2K using a 2K3 license and that they were going to charge for add ons to 2k3 I stopped asking questions.

As for needing 6 versions... add Xp home / Pro and you have 8 - add in OEM / RETAIL / UPGRADE / Corporate (no acitvation) flavours and there are quite a lot of very similar Versions of windows that differ ONLY in the Licensing / copyright protection / disabled features.

Office is just as bad - how many different office CD's are there at this stage ? (please insert Office XP SR1 OEM Premium competitive upgrade CD #2 )

Advertisement