Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Review Request: www.babyjenks.ie

Options
  • 25-09-2003 4:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭

lo all,

After a while working on this site for some friends of mine, I've finally decided to cut it and run! Just wanted to throw it out to the peops here to have a look and tell me what they think.

A couple of things first...

1. It's intended to be a tableless layout design, I have used some tables, but not for main areas of the site. As a result, it might look a bit crap in some older browsers, (CSS used for layout).

2. Some document pages won't validate as they have target="_blank" in the odd anchor tag for images. (yes yes I know).

3. Apparently, It looks hideous on a mac.

4. Some content is not completed.

If anyone has any suggestions, comments, solutions for problems you spot, opinions etc. then yer more than welcome to post here.

So, www.babyjenks.ie, wan and have a look.

Oh, and download some of the tunes, they're free and quite good. ;)

TIA

Lucutus

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭Ph3n0m

Luc,

1. search box missing in Opera 7
    2. username and password fields missing on left hand side on all pages in Netscape 7

thats just a quick look

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

It's nice and clean (so much better than a lot of the junk out there)
    ALT and TITLE tags for images would be nice, you could use them for links too...
    I would suggest that the contact page have a form to mail as well...

Just a question - why did you put the 'home' link at the bottom?

I'd make the title bar link back to the main page

Another thing I found a little strange is the content distribution:

For example, the page introducing the band (http://www.babyjenks.ie/category/?cat=1) has very little content. There is a "read on" link, which takes you to a page with more, but maybe a re-distribution of the content might give a more balanced feel

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Lucutus

Originally posted by Ph3n0m
    1. search box missing in Opera 7
    2. username and password fields missing on left hand side on all pages in Netscape 7

Whoops, Thanks O Hairy One.

Blacknight:

ALT & Title depend on what those musicians fill in themselves, I'll spank them :)

Home link = force of habit, prefer it after content links, might just get rid of it.

Linked Title in, thanks.

Again, content distribution really depends on themselves, they lied and told me they had a lot more to say to the world.

More gems of wisdom welcome...

Luc

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭nahdoic

Overall I think it's nice and clean which is great. But there is just not enough colour. The brown is nice ... but it desperately needs another colour to blend and contrast with it.

Aye nahdoic, I agree, however, I'm not the most talented graphic designer in the world, so I don't even try anymore. If you have any suggestions as to what to do along those lines, please fire away!

Anyone else? Have to say, aside from the three above, I'm a little dissappointed with the lack of feedback. I thought there'd be lots more people jumping on here to rip that site to shreds :)

BRING IT ON!

Luc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭p

You want bitchy? ;)

The site really is pretty basic as i'm sure your aware.

The design of the site doesn't represent the band in any way, an dit doens't get me excited about wanting to see them. Content wise, there isn't any, so I can't judge.

Overall, it's passable, but I reckon a band's site should represent their personality and image. The visual aspect of it is paramount.

You say you're not a graphic designer, so taking that into account you've done a decent job, but I think you'd be better trying to find someone who's interested in beefing up their portfolio to help you with the visual side of things.

lo p,

Design: Yea, I'm not a designer. The site reflects that well. Any designers out there wanna have a go?

Content: Did you not download the mp3's and read the text? :) It is lacking in bios and that sort of stuff, they need to fill in some more content.

Luc

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭Fergal C

Looks clear and crisp to me. Which is normally good for a website but are bands supposed to have a clear and crisp image? Unless you are promoting classical music.

I think the point about the site not reflecting the band's personality is well made. A pic with the band on stage in action might give a better idea of what they do. I'd suggest finding a newbie graphic designer who wants to make a go of it in the music indutry have a look at it and give you suggestions.

Henri

Advertisement