Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RDS Higher Options Conference

Options
  • 25-09-2003 4:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 507 ✭✭✭

Who was at the show today in the RDS? What did people think of it?
    I went there without high expectations but actually found the day very helpful and informative. Basically I stocked up on information and leaflets about what I was interested in (psychology) and the available options that stem from that. It was jam packed but I still managed to get to see everything I wanted to see and I thought that the English Unis put in a good show. Apparently you only need 3Bs and 2Cs for one Uni course in psychology in the centre of London and 5Cs for another one near London which really caught my attention as Trinity asks for around the 545 mark to get in to psychology. I thought that the army section wasn't very good and having the tank, plane and jeep there was a bit gimmicky really and didn't add much to it, all flash and no content if you will. I didn't go to the lectures that were on as they seemed to be for people who hadn't decided what they want to do yet which is fair enough but since the only one I was vaguely interested in (Social Services) wasn't on for a full 2 hours after I finished going to the stands I wanted to see I decided to give it a miss. Afterwards I and the group I was with headed down to McDonalds in Grafton Street (which is looking better than ever) where a lot of the people from the RDS seemed to end up and have a great time there before heading down to the bus stop near Forbidden Planet and catching the bus home. All in all a great day.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭claire h

I was there yesterday. Went to the UCAS and CAO talks. The CAO one was utterly pointless - there was a story about soup and traffic lights. Yes. Would have skipped it if the careers teacher hadn't been there ticking off our names as we went in... sigh.

I think it's basically useless for people who know what they want to do - if you know that, you've researched it yourself and know about all the options. And if you don't know what you want to do, you're hardly going to get a sudden flash of divine inspiration...

Some of the people at the UK stands were also contradicting official stuff published by their university, which was quite interesting...

Waste of a day, but a nice break from 6th year, I think. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 507 ✭✭✭Roller Toaster

Well I think that if it's an option and you're allowed to go of your own free will you're going to enjoy it a lot more than if you were forced to go to it like you were which is a pity really. We were allowed go wherever we wanted in it, see whatever we wanted to see and leave at any time so there was nothing holding us back from just doing exactly what we wanted to do. What do you mean by "contradicting official stuff published by their university" by the way?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭claire h

For example, my friend was told that the University of Liverpool don't accept Irish applicants for veterinary medicine due to the course difference in certain subjects in the LC and A-levels, whereas the university prospectus and website says differently, and gives the applicant requirements for said course.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 761 ✭✭✭PrecariousNuts

I found it a brilliant day, had a nice chat with someone from the Royal surgeons college Ireland about pharmacy and whats involved. Had a great time and went out for a meal with some friends after.

It was extremely crowded and it was foolish of the organisers to cram UCD DCU and TCD into such a small area together. The army section was a bit gimmicky too, but they had got a steyr aug there exactly as I remember it from CS.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭snickerpuss

i didnt find it that helpful, i didnt find out anything i didnt already know and some of the places had no idea what they were on about. DIT thought culinary arts was a music course.... I mean.....what?! And they didnt know anything about their courses at all. I liked opportunities better last year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭Seifer

I didn't learn much but I thought the army display was pretty well pulled off. Its was easily the most interesting and had the best free stuff.
    The lectures weren't up to much really.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭valor

The talks were pretty pathetic, especially the one on 'Working with a Business/Finance Degree'. It was esentially a 'how to get employed by AIB' lecture. Very disappointing. The stands were helpful but only up to a point - nothing you cant get from the prospectus of the college.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

It was PANTS, to put it mildly. But at least i got 16 free UCD pens, and 2 free lolipops (which were from some small bogger collage). Other than that, it was fairly bad. The lectures were next to useless. What a waste of my money. :-(

Advertisement