Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CA is killing Quake.ie

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭Koopa

lolth, try what you just said youd do in a war, and tell me exactly what happens.

i on the other hand, will go onto the ca server tonight, and will proceed to NOT MOVE AT ALL from a 'chosen' area in the map(say the top of dm3 RA), and will tell you exactly what happened, and how many frags i got.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,339 ✭✭✭✭LoLth

Koopa,

try which bit? collecting rockets - read the word 'theoretical'. I'm sure someone could do it (why I don't know, but...)

so, you're not going to play a war tonight then, no? smile.gif Maybe I'll see you on CA.. hmm, top of RA huh? fair 'nuf..

J.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,279 ✭✭✭regi

right death my man, come to the next lan, we can have a mini one on one ca competition, and we will see whether the winner is a war/duel player or a regular CA'er...
    if enough of you are at wwmans lan on friday, sure ill play ya there...

[dan]

Hehehe sam I seem to recall us playing a 1on1 CA duel on dm3 in the nethouse a couple of weeks back... Wanna dredge up the scores? smile.gif)

Dan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 394 ✭✭DEATH

Forget That Fancy Smancy LAN affairs
    Modem o modem.
    soon koopa
    you say when ill play ya sure i have nothing to lose.

But what if ireland's most respected player (allegedly) wink.gif lost to a ubber ca brought up muppet , the shame eh.

koopa u know i have nowt against you and i think you feel the same but you over steped the mark , talkin bad of ca wink.gif.

toodle ooh

Tonite?

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Von Wrote:
    Point is Dev, people who only play CA (and are bad at it) shouldn't bother expressing their opinion about who is good or not at 4v4s or duels or anything else because they are wrong.

But its ok for people who only play wars to come on here and call CA players muppets and want to take down their server?

DeV.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 225 ✭✭earthworm_jim

Jas camping and holding an area in a clan war is fuccking hard. When you spawn in a war you've only got a popgun - you mostly have to do some major running, thinking and fighting before you get any kind of a weapon and then you have to get to your area (all the while worrying about health/armour) and hold it and then you'll probably get wasted by a quadrunner or start over again. That's not to mention all the other stuff you have to think about - how are your teammates doing in their jobs, does anyone need help, is there anyone who can help you, where do you get ammo, when's the pent/quad due back and who's closest/best suited to pick it up ... what else .. oh yeah, and jumping, aiming and shooting at people. smile.gif

Contrast that little headache with ca. Like koopa said in ca you can spawn, find a nice defensible high spot and start shooting. There just isn't as much stuff to be good at - therefore it's a less skillful game. No two ways about it. Doesn't matter though - as bunny says it does it for some ppl so that's all it has to do.

And it's only hugely popular in ireland - ffa is the popular pickup game of choice in most other countries.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭El_Presidente

OK, there have been some mighty long posts here so i'll keep this quick.

The original message in this post was that CA is killing wars, I dont think this is true.

I have played a good bit on the CA servers and like to think I have been in a good few wars and in reality there are different player bases for each.

Its my opinion that wars are a hell of a lot better and that the ppl who play wars are a lot more skillfull but i also believe that if the die hard CA'ers didn't have CA many of them would not make the jump to wars, it simply requires too much effort.

I summery: Let the CAers have their fun and the rest of us can keep playing real quake.

El

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

OI !!! POXY GIT !!
    NOOO!!!!!

You ! Me ! 1 duel server !!!

miffed gav

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭Koopa

hey dan,

"Hehehe sam I seem to recall us playing a 1on1 CA duel on dm3 in the nethouse a couple of weeks back... Wanna dredge up the scores?"

yeah dan, that was the time everyone was beating me at everything in nethouse cos i had a faulty keyboard with no spacebar and no ****ing 'v' key(i use xcv keys for movement).. so i couldnt jump, remember?
    and the scores werent half bad, considering i wasnt playing seriously smile.gif

death, heh this isnt personal like, just a difference of opinion on CA

sure ill play ya anyway, backing out just cos its not lan(different tactics) wouldnt look good now would it smile.gif

[This message has been edited by Koopa (edited 14-06-99).]

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭Slosh

How about we set the Quake.ie CA server to teamplay 2 ??? Its the same connect as Indigo so it should be fine....

Thats where u'll find me from now on too...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭ste

ah lads, CA aint just all fluke, you can actually have a damned good TP game.

Look at TKC for example we've had some damn good clan games in CA, and I can assure you that tactics were the winner in the end. OK yea hopping on for a blast is often whats done, and spamming is a huge part of that, so if ya want turn off the GL, doesn't bother me and more. But it aint all just spam and rjumping, and camping.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭Monty - the one and only

CA is easier for newbies as they actually have a chance of surviving. Where as in wars, duels and ffa, against good players they're toast. In my opinion this would put alot of people off playing Quake continuasly.
    I on the other hand will play wether or not I get trounced because it's only a game.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,339 ✭✭✭✭LoLth

CA teaches basic skills, and no, newbies are not 'as likely' to win. There are diverse skills involved. Just as SPQ has skills that you use in wars etc so does CA, and, just as SPQ has skils that are solely the domain of SPQ, so too does CA have it's own set of skills. Teamwork, though different from WAR, is still as important. Duelling, though different from duels is still important.

To say CA is less than WAR is to say that any game is less than another. I for one, can play chess, but I'm ****ed if I'll ever win a game of checkers (draughts to Europeans), I can play cards but I can't play Dominoes. Are you saying that because I don't know the skills of draughts , I am **** at chess? The fact is they are different. It takes a skilled player to transfer the skills of one game to another. Don't even bother comparing the two styles. It's like comparing pontulism to Renaissance art. Pointless (sorry for the pun), and a moot topic that will never, can never be resolved. Even if a match is held where WAR team beats CA team, what about next time? how do you allow for the situation at the time? forget it. CA is CA, WAR is WAR. We already have a divide between Q1 and Q2. Do we really need an internal 'you are a muppet' debate. if you don't like CA, don't play it.

simple.

J.

Advertisement