Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[Article] FF deputy faces drink-drive charge after pedestrian hurt

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

Just to clarify, I'm not defending what he did in any way, - nor would I EVER. I'm just saying that I don't think that losing his job over it should be a foregone conclusion.

I DO think his drivers license should definitely be either revoked or suspended for a minimum period of time (2 years, for example).

• Registered Users Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Originally posted by Capt'n Midnight

Was this an accident - NO - He drank.
    You can blame others for letting him drive - but that in no way affects his decision to drive. It's not as if he couldn't afford a Taxi on his salary, it's not as if he was unaware of drink driving being illegal etc.

And the Dail is only a stone's throw from Pearse Street train station, where he could have got a Dart to Malahide, saving himself a few € AND promoting public transport at the same time. Now there's responsible.

Originally posted by Bard
    This would all be very simple indeed if Mr. G.V. Wright was not a very good and hard working politician who has built up a lot of respect and admiration from the people of north County Dublin. He's certainly done a lot for our own specific local area here and I was frankly shocked to hear that he, of all people had been involved in such an incident.

While I don't condone drink driving in the slightest (a drunken driver was the cause of my girlfriends death 9 years ago), it does seem to me that what he's done is something that is totally out of character for him, and he seems to be very sorry for, and embarrassed by it.

No doubt the same argument will be presented by his solicitor at his trial. I hope the judge is not taken in by it, Wright should lead by example. If his party colleague (Brennan) is serious about cutting fatalities on the road, then his fellow travellers should be leading the way, not letting the side down. Of course, that is not something that should be considered in a trial, so hopefully the court will judge the actions of Wright (i.e. drunk driving causing bodily harm), and punish him accordingly.

I too am a constituent of G.V. Wright's. Unlike Bard, I have no experience of the guy being a hard working TD. However, I did witness the work my father put into to the local football club, and the "help" that was forthcoming from local politicians during that time. Every man and woman among them fell over themselves to show how hard they were "working" for the cause, letter followed letter, phone call followed phone call. Fact was, they all did the same thing. And for why? Because North Dublin is an incredibly competitive constituency (ask Nora Owen), and thats what has to be done to get elected.

So, when Bard says Wright is hard-working (and you may have some reason to believe this is truly the case Bard), I just assume that Wright is doing what he can to get re-elected, and that is hardly something to use as an example of the good character of any politician.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 sorrento

Originally posted by Cork

...Yes. He has accepted responsibility and he will face due process.

...will be subject to due process. ...he is entitled to due process.

blah blah blah due process. I heard some other fianna fail muppet on the radio this morning saying the same thing, blah blah .. due process ... blah.

That is fianna fails way of trying to wriggle out of responsibility.

They are saying that "Oh, well we can't do anything until all these other people have done their things" and then they try to deflect attention to some other issue, in an attempt to gain time until the general public has cooled down.

Typical FF management of crises in which they basically hide their head under a blanket and peep out when its all over and hope the electorate are dumb enough to vote them back in.

This method has worked for them up until now because once people have a few quid in their wallets they forgive pretty much anything. It will be a different kettle of fish next election time.

So Cork you might want to change parties and back a winner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Yep. it appears that its one rule for FF'ers where everything is brushed from the public eye.

'Ah sure the public will forget before next election'

Bet the victim won't.

Bertie says today that the full rigour of law should be applied yet it ain't a resigning matter, shame on you Bertie.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Yep. it appears that its one rule for FF'ers where everything is brushed from the public eye.

To avoid absurd claims like this as I said earlier he should be treated exactly the same as any other citizen.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,411 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Originally posted by gurramok
    Bertie's silence on this matter and the tax evader TD is dipping to a new low.
    Did I not hear him say on the news the other might "I knew nothing about this".
    Originally posted by Bard
    Just to clarify, I'm not defending what he did in any way, - nor would I EVER. I'm just saying that I don't think that losing his job over it should be a foregone conclusion.
    If Pat Kenny or David Beckham on Angus Dayton did this (drunk driving causing injury), what would the reaction be?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

Originally posted by gurramok
    Bertie says today that the full rigour of law should be applied yet it ain't a resigning matter, shame on you Bertie.

Why? Is there something in the law you can point to that would indicate it is a resigning matter?

jc

• Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

Originally posted by therecklessone

So, when Bard says Wright is hard-working (and you may have some reason to believe this is truly the case Bard), I just assume that Wright is doing what he can to get re-elected, and that is hardly something to use as an example of the good character of any politician.

No, actually - what I meant was that he was working hard and making a good and valid contribution (while in office) to my own local community. It's got nothing to do with trying to get re-elected - it's got to do with doing his job as a T.D. and working for his constituents - which it seemed to me, through personal experience locally, that he was. I don't think I need to go into specifics.

The debate about whether or not G.V. Wright should resign is farcical, to be honest. He should be held accountable and pay for the mistake he has made, but he should, at the same time, continue working in his position as a T.D. and continue contributing to his constituency - his resignation should not be an issue.

This unfortunate incident will most likely not affect my judgement when deciding at the next election whether to vote for him or not as it does not affect his abilities as a public representative quite as much as the loud mouthed people barking "off with his head" would lead you to believe...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 sorrento

What if we all acted like GV Wright and we'll all drink and drive.

That is a stupid sentence because, we all won't, obviously people have a sense of what is right and what is wrong.

People with a skewed sense of (W)right and wrong drink and drive.

He has shown that he has no respect for the law by drink driving*, for someone in his high position to show no respect for the law is obviously wrong.

The argument that he is hard working is a non-issue.

If he is hard working so *ucking what, because I am sure there are people out there who would be equally hard working who can respect the law.

Nobody has said "off with his head" but for the nurse he mowed down it could be "off with her leg".

(*by the way bertie admitted in a magazine interview some years ago that he felt confident driving after drinking 8 pints, I wonder was this before or after his license expired)

• Advertisement

Fair enough Bard, you have experience of the man's efforts, so I'll bow to your superior knowledge on that.

However, as a public representative and a member of a government which has made it a priority to deal with motoring offences, including drunk driving, his actions will do a lot to undermine the efforts of both the Minister and the Gardai to deal with the issue. His role as a local representative won't be affected, but his role as a legislator surely will be?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Originally posted by bonkey
    Why? Is there something in the law you can point to that would indicate it is a resigning matter?

He is a legislator who did a criminal act, is it not clear enough ?
    If he stays he will be voting on various bills that go through the Dail. He is not fit enough to sit in the Dail along with Collins.

The Dail is suppose to be a place full of people that do not break the law, am i wrong ?

In the eyes if the law what he did on that Thursday is a criminal offence.
    Are you suggesting that he did not break the law ?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

In the eyes if the law what he did on that Thursday is a criminal offence.

So will anyone That smokes in a Pub after January , will this be a resigning matter for TDs too?

Advertisement