Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A Perfect Circle - Thirteenth Step

• 25-09-2003 5:18pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭

Hi everyone.

I got the new Perfect Circle album today, and I was REALLY looking forward to it. For one, its A Perfect Circle, and also its number 2 in the US Billboard charts at the moment.

Unfortunately, I'm really disappointed with it. The opening track "The Package" is 7 minutes of boring, repetitive meandering, and its much the same story until Track 7. I was hopeful that the rest of the album would continue in this vein, but alas it drifted back into more slow, downbeat music.

What's gone wrong? Have I given it enough of a chance? Has anyone else formed an opinion yet?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

I also got it.
    Interesting enough.

Not a patch on the first album though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 767 ✭✭✭nesthead

its probly not as good due to a few line up changes. if im not mistaken the previous bassist was replaced with twiggy ramirez of marylin manson, there was another change aswell i do believe...

forgotten what the first album is like, havnt listened to it in soooo long (lent it to friend :rolleyes:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭mr_angry

Yeah, Twiggy Ramierez (now going by his real name, Jeordie White) replaced Paz Lenchantin, who joined Zwan. James Iha (of Smashing Pumpkins fame) also replaced Troy van Leeuwen, who joined Queens Of The Stone Age. And Maynard cut his hair (big mistake).

But none of it explains the lack of tempo in the album, since Billy writes all the music anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 467 ✭✭Cheez

And Maynard cut his hair (big mistake).

I thought that was a wig?

Maybe he cut it for touring wit Tool but its a masculine/femine side thing with him from Jungian psychology. the theory that every human has a masculine and femine side&may appear in your dreams as a male/female guiding you somewhere or somethin like that(can anyone elaborate on this?),Tool=expression of masc,APC=fem.
    Just a theory

Anyway i just got it there yesterday&i think its great,a bit different from the last one but maynards lyrics are as always very gud imho

The single (Weak & Powerless) is good, but I find most of the songs are boring.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,361 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

Originally posted by mr_angry4
    The single (Weak & Powerless) is good, but I find most of the songs are boring.

But the video is weird and kinda freaky but there is a naked bird. I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 495 ✭✭Sajan

Maynard is bald. The Wig that he uses in A Perfect Circle is IMO just to leave the TOOL part of him with TOOL if that makes any sense. I'm sure he just wants to be a little bit different in the whole set up. The album is slower but I thik it is as good as any other ****e that other bands are bringing out at the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

In all fairness, I think it is a pretty poor album. But I was thinking to myself of another band, who happened to release what is probably the best rock album of the year.

Green Carnation

Seriously blew everything else out of the water.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭honru

I got the album when it was released and I think its excellent. The whole record envelops you, and flows really well. It doesn't top Mer De Noms, but its nice to see the band moving foward. Their cover of Failure's "The Nurse Who Loved Me" is probably my favourite song on the album, I feel they really improved on it.

Also, anyone who uses .mp3 as a medium to listen to music may not want to buy it off play.com as the version they are selling has damn copy protection. The one sold in Ireland, for some reason unknown to myself, does not feature copy protection.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭Deadwing

Originally posted by f®eak_s©enery
    I got the album when it was released and I think its excellent. The whole record envelops you, and flows really well. It doesn't top Mer De Noms, but its nice to see the band moving foward. Their cover of Failure's "The Nurse Who Loved Me" is probably my favourite song on the album, I feel they really improved on it.

Also, anyone who uses .mp3 as a medium to listen to music may not want to buy it off play.com as the version they are selling has damn copy protection. The one sold in Ireland, for some reason unknown to myself, does not feature copy protection.
    Woo hoo!! someone else who knows failure! Possibly the best band of the 90's...shame about the break up :( But no way is it an improvement ont he original..its a classic!!

• Advertisement

After a couple of weeks of listening to it, its kinda growing on me now - some of the riffs are really bloody catchy.

I absolutely despise "The Nurse Who Loved Me" though. Maybe it holds some sentimental value for you guys, but I've never heard of Failure, and so I'm totally bemused!

Keep your sneaky comments out of my threads Feylya! You only sit 5 feet behind me!

Keep your sneaky comments out of my threads Feylya! You only sit 5 feet behind me!

Sneaky? Moi? Are you mad? There was nothing sneaky about that. I gave my opinion. And I know you're short, but that is not 5 feet. More like 20.

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭wild_eyed

i listen to a lot of good music, and i really enjoyd the first apc album, and ordered this straight away, the album is good and only dips on track 4 or 5 it has an awful effect on the vocal and just doesnt work, but other than that, i really like it. maynard is bald. tool are not so much better but different, i think apc are trying not to be so heavy and i think it works well for them.

Great - 2 people I know and talk to are now replying to my posts. Are us geeks meant to be in hibernation or something?

Great - 2 people I know and talk to are now replying to my posts.

At least someone is!!!
    Are us geeks meant to be in hibernation or something?

Yes we are.

Great - 2 people I know and talk to are now replying to my posts.

who do u know?

Feylya. And I'm stalking you.

Oops. Did I say that out loud?

Feylya. And I'm stalking you.

Oops. Did I say that out loud?

I pray you're talking about stalking wild_eyed there. Otherwise, I'm gonna have to sleep with that knife under my pillow again!

thats not a problem, but seriously.......

are you doing the degree in software?

Originally posted by feylya
    Otherwise, I'm gonna have to sleep with that knife under my pillow again!

All the other people are going to be stealing those crazy thoughts of yours now too...

Why would I bother stalking you when you never leave the house anyway?

• Advertisement

I do leave the house. I wasn't here on Friday now was I? And you leave my crazy thoughts out of this.

*sigh*

So,... A Perfect Circle! They're a great bunch of lads, aren't they?

include me in your banter!

angry? its a shared lab so lose the attitude when my bothers enter.

Originally posted by wild_eyed
    angry? its a shared lab so lose the attitude when my bothers enter.

Eh, what?

Advertisement