Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

college cabling question

Options
  • 25-09-2003 10:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭

Just wondering if it's possible to do the following in college.

college%20connection.jpg

it might be hard to see, but the idea is to use the laptop to daisy chain the network connection.

I want to do this so that I can download on the laptop during class, while working away on the other pc, as there are no spare sockets to plug into.

Of course if you can suggest something else that I might do, I'd appreciate it

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

usb memory stick

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,361 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

It wouldn't be all that easy. The college is using a DHCP server to organise ip addresses. You'd have to link into the DHCP server to know what ip addresses are free. Unless you can set the laptop to a high ip address and hope that it's free, you'd get problems. Then you'd have to let the laptop be transparent so the desktop can see the DHCP server. You could just grab a wee switch, two patch cables and set that up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭The_Bullman

Originally posted by Muck
    usb memory stick

I'd be looking to do a little more downloading than that Muck... :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 1,850 Mod ✭✭✭✭Michael Collins

If the laptop is running XP couldn't you bridge the connections? Depends on how it's set up in your college tho. You may even have a wireless network?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭The_Bullman

yes the laptop is running XP

what do you mean by bridge the connections?

And I don't think there is a wireless network

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

Originally posted by The_Bullman
    I'd be looking to do a little more downloading than that Muck... :)

http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.asp?action=info&sku=116566&p=&t=1744&l=2&AvdID=1&CatID=17&GrpID=15&cks=PRL €75 or so.

If both PC's have USB 2 at 480Mbps then simply rar the files into 256Mb chunks on the PC and transfer to the pen. Download at any college PC then.

M

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,361 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

USB2? Obvisously you haven't seen the state of the college computers. Even brand new p4 2.4 Dell's don't have usb2!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,308 ✭✭✭quozl

a small switch would probably be the easiest thing to try. You can get 5 port ones for about 50e, and they're dead handy to have anyway.

They're also only about the size of a scientific calculator so they'll fit easily in your bag.

Greg

• Registered Users Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Originally posted by feylya
    It wouldn't be all that easy. The college is using a DHCP server to organise ip addresses. You'd have to link into the DHCP server to know what ip addresses are free.

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : dell99
    Primary DNS Suffix . . . . . . . : computer
    Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid
    IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
    WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
    DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . : computer
    dkit.ie

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : dkit.ie
    Description . . . . . . . . . . . : 3Com 3C920 Integrated Fast Ethernet
    Controller (3C905C-TX Compatible)
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-B0-D0-65-3E-5B
    DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
    IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 172.16.7.99
    Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
    Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 172.16.7.1
    DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 172.16.7.17
    Primary WINS Server . . . . . . . : 172.16.22.23
    Secondary WINS Server . . . . . . : 172.16.22.24

HMMMM, crazy bullman and his quest for speedy iso`s, and of course the http proxy as well.

Why not just use your laptop, ask the IT girls for a spare ip :)

I`m planning something along the same line, but i`m a degree student with my own lab

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

Originally posted by quozl
    a small switch would probably be the easiest thing to try. You can get 5 port ones for about 50e, and they're dead handy to have anyway.

They're also only about the size of a scientific calculator so they'll fit easily in your bag.

Greg

You can pink a 8 port switch for 35 or so...

http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.asp?action=info&sku=116897&p=&t=1788&l=3&AvdID=1&CatID=19&GrpID=6&cks=PRL

5 ports are 30 or so...

Switch is the best option its just messin trying to do it the way u are talking about abouve...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭MrPinK

Are you able to change the IP settings on your college computer? You shouldn't be able to if they have a decent security setup. And if you can't, then there's not a lot you can do. You should just disconnect one pc and use it's connection for the laptop, then use the PC beside it for you to work on. Pull the connections for the keyboard and mouse out just a little on the PC you disconnected, so ppl just think it's broken.

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭crowbar

if switch security has been set up properly then you shouldn't even be able to that. cisco switches, for example, allow you to restrict a switch port to a single network card and can disable the port and generate an alarm when a different nic is plugged in. (it's all done with mac addresses.)

if you do try plugging your laptop in and it doesn't work at all, then run, run away, before the local network police arrive!!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

Originally posted by crowbar
    if switch security has been set up properly then you shouldn't even be able to that. cisco switches, for example, allow you to restrict a switch port to a single network card and can disable the port and generate an alarm when a different nic is plugged in. (it's all done with mac addresses.)

Very easy to detect defeat though, only stops the average non techie...

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

It very simple to set the laptop up to access the college network. Just a matter of enabling DHCP in your OS and connecting to the network. You will then have to configure the proxy in the college, well u did last year anyway!!

The only restrictions you may experience is when accessing any of your network drives, you might have to set a static IP for this. It also depends which part of the college you are accessing from, the newer labs use NAT while the older labs do not....

Just buy a simple hub and run two cables of it... Or........... Install whatever software ya need onto the laptop and not use the college computer at all.

Advertisement