Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Absinthe in ireland

Options
  • 25-09-2003 10:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20

Can anybody at all at all, tell me the legal status of Absinthe in ireland. I know you can get it in a few places, but where can i get some for my self? :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,330 ✭✭✭✭Amz

The Irish stuff is shite, you need to get some in places like spain or Portugal or somewhere similar. It's not the proper stuff you get here it's not as strong and not half as nice. Get a mate to get you some if they're on their holliers.

You need to maybe post a similar thread in the Food/Drink forum you're more likely to get a decent reply there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭Eyeliner__Boy

Get your arse down to dominion.......we inject and snort the **** there........ask the bouncer to point out 'Conrad- Prince of Darkness'......He's the main man

• Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭polarbelly

if you've friends goin on hols to eastern europe (esp. prague) you can get the real 70%**** for bout a fiver

here the 55% which is th eonly legal one is about €60 a btl

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭Kurdt

i got black absinthe in spain, twas 80% n real good... less than 15europes for a litre...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 943 ✭✭✭Mewzel

im pretty sure you can get the 70% stuff from prague if you look hard enough. at least i have a friend who's been able to get it no probs several times. unless you count the price as a problem of course.... v.expensive

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 275 ✭✭butterfly

aaaaaaah God Bless my beautiful, if freaky, local- u can get fine sized shotsa absinthe while sitting beside the old man with an eyepatch&his sheepdog with him. yaay!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 169 ✭✭nonemoreblack

Actually there is no such thing as the "real stuff" now.Original Absinthe had the active ingredient wormwood(thats the stuff that made everyone go a bit mad)

The new stuff has between a seventh and a tenth the strength of
    wormwood as the original Absinth.

It's true that the best stuff comes from the Czech republic but if you want to get a buzz off it you'd probably need to drink half the bottle.As always there is always a certain amount of placebo effect so you might be folled into thinking its working.

Its blooody expensive too!!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

Careful with this stuff 'tis lethal, but legal here. S'Right they even sell it in McSorely's in Ranelagh - damn expensive - but I had to be coaxed down from trying to tightrope walk the banister the last time I drank it there!

Be careful is my advice - I used to be a bar tender in Prague so I've seen quite a few casualties, including one guy who was unconscious after three.

Drink slowly and wait for the effects, don't fer God's sake shoot it, it will make you sick, instead drink it the czech ritual way, described "here

It will make you horny - "Absinthe makes the heart grow fonder"
    It will make you forgetful - "Absinthe-minded"
    It WILL make you drunk. -"Absintthinthe, I wa' drinthek Abbeyinthe

Enjoy La Fee Vert - the green faerie - what could be better in Ireland? Better than that aftershock ****e.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭Kurdt

Originally posted by MadsL
    drink it the czech ritual way

yup thats how i was shown to drink it and thats how i'd drink some if i had some today... great stuff

• Closed Accounts Posts: 511 ✭✭✭Gar_ptc

ah, just go and buy a btl of hackler!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 726 ✭✭✭lamda

Originally posted by Kurdt
    yup thats how i was shown to drink it and thats how i'd drink some if i had some today... great stuff

Yes much better than drinking it straight from a lucozade bottle! Ooooh classy!!:D

Advertisement