Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Warning re: Alba 14" tv/dvd combo in Argos

Options
  • 26-09-2003 12:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭

The missus arrived home with one of these today, on sale for €199. After dicking about for about 20 minutes trying to tune the tv stations I consulted the manual and phoned a mate who knows about this sort of thing.
    It turns out the channel range for these units is set for the UK and the only way to watch telly on it in Ireland is using the tuner on a seperate video or using an old decoder. The range is, if I remember correctly UHF 21-69.
    Our's is going back tomorrow.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

Not being smart or anything..... but I'm sure it would say in the catalogue that it'd only tune in UHF.... only TV3 in Ireland broadcasts on UHF... TG4 might too.... but *** I'd say you/your wife is at fault. If it doesnt say it in the catalogue, sue argos for false advertising.

John

• Registered Users Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭milltown

Lol!
    I'm not that bitter about it, I'll just return it for a refund and save the lawyers for another day.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭ShaneOC

This will not affect everyone here as most of the country is now covered by UHF transmission of all the Irish channels.

My Irish channels come through a Group C-D UHF arial from UHF53-63.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭milltown

So it's only us standard Cablelink customers that it won't work for then?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭oneweb

It's possible they got in the wrong batch in the delivery (UK items delivered to Irish stores - happens now and then. For example - 'Orange' prepaid mobiles etc.) Just let them know when you return it.

It is what it's.

• Advertisement
Advertisement