Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[Article]Our air defence weaponry catches up with the times

Options
  • 26-09-2003 2:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭

from todays irish independent
    Our air defence weaponry catches up with the times

IRELAND's latest air defence weaponry to defend EU summits and other VIP events went on display yesterday in the Glen of Imaal in Co Wicklow in an impressive demonstration of fire power.

The recently acquired Flycatcher air defence system, bought from the Royal Netherlands Air Force in the wake of the September 11 terrorist attacks, was on display but did not take part in the live fire exercises.

This system, using 24 radar-controlled anti-aircraft guns, brings Ireland into line with modern trends in air defence and is likely to be used to defend the main EU summit in Dublin next May.

The Glen reverberated with the sounds of gunfire as most other weapons used by the Defence Forces including Milan anti-tank missiles, 90mm and 20mm cannon on Panhard armoured cars and 105mm light artillery guns were fired at targets.

A new Ardvark mine clearance machine purchased from Croatia in use with the Army's bomb disposal squads also went on show for the first time, along with Sophie night vision and thermal imaging equipment.

The Army Ranger Wing mounted an assault on two cars using helicopters and MAG machineguns as part of the live fire exercise.

Yesterday's display was aimed at interested members of the public, but also the different Army corps who would not have seen some of the newly acquired systems and weaponry.

Clodagh Sheehy and Don Lavery

nice to see they bought a dedicated fire control system but having it hooked up to bofors aa guns? i'd hardly call that catching up with the times.
    If the were going to spend the money to "catch up with the times" at all why didn't they at least buy 1 battery of mid range aa missles. Rapiers or something.
    20mm cannon on Panhard armoured cars
    when did the panhards get equiped with those?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 465 ✭✭bloggs

Did they buy this stuff, or was it hired for the day ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 78,411 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Originally posted by Scruff
    [Article]Our air defence weaponry catches up with the times
    Yes, the 1970s.
    Originally posted by Scruff
    when did the panhards get equiped with those?
    Over the last 3-4 years. They are South African (SA uses similar vehicles) and actually can't be fired on an Irish range as they don't have a safety fuse (larger ammunition has two fuses in case one doesn't work). All the turrets on the AML60s were replaced with all-new 20mm turrets.

And I doubt that the anti-aircraft artillery (AAA) weapons will be of much use to protect Dublin Castle. Where are they going to put the guns - the roof of the ILAC? And reaction times - we are talking about 2-3 minutes .... hmmmm dubious. All you have to do is fly over 3000 metres and drop bombs from your plane or alternatively just dive steeply at the target (radars have difficulty looking "straight up").

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

I'd love to see exactly what this exceptional threat we're dealing with happens to be...
    :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭sharkman

hey , I think I'vefound where they buy their second hand weapons from ...

[URL=http://]http://www.impactguns.com/store/machineguns.html[/URL]

Originally posted by Sparks
    I'd love to see exactly what this exceptional threat we're dealing with happens to be... :rolleyes:
    A September 11th style attack on say Farmleigh? Or Dublin Castle? or random small hotel in marginal constituencies in the back end of nowhere where important meeting is being held?

Or sod it, just do a truck bomb.

• Advertisement

A September 11th style attack on say Farmleigh? Or Dublin Castle?
    A suicide bomber that would target the Irish Government?
    Good grief, he'd need to have some serious ego issues to say that he'd think they were worth his life! :D

Originally posted by Sparks
    A suicide bomber that would target the Irish Government?
    Good grief, he'd need to have some serious ego issues to say that he'd think they were worth his life! :D
    How about 25 EU heads of state - would the Americans go for it? ;)

I doubt it Victor, Berlusconi's their best friend in the EU.
    The germans might though - but I can see that being hard to prevent, seeing as how they're meant to be at the conference :D

Advertisement