Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

C&C Generals - Multiplayer

• 26-09-2003 2:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 38

Anyone played any decent maps on Generals yet ??

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,020 ✭✭✭Ry

Myself and 3 others had our best game of Generals EVER on a map called Fine Art of War. Definitley better on lan but still a great map. Our game lasted 5 hours and it was pure action all the way through. The replay I'm happy to say survives still to this day :D It really is one to watch even tho it's so long! :) It never gets dull. I suggest trying it out. It's on generalsfiles I'm sure.

Ry

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 J K Partridge

Cheers for that - I will scour the web for that map.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭[CALIBUR]

Is there any irish servers?

Basically the way it works is you create an online 'profile'
    on this you state your 'locale'

Then you must either create an online game or join someone elses.
    Generals Online doesnt actually host the game - the games are hosted by the players
    Generals online - creates the connection as it were - I suppose like napster never held any music - it just gave people the means to connect.

Anyway its not a great service - I experience frequent problems - and the only solution is to completely shut generals and restart.
    Last night there were only 235 players using Generals online.

But on a more positive note once you get the game started and its all going it rarely fails and the speed is brill if all the users are BBand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Tis a great game in multiplayer. I tend to be the sorta player that sits back and builds quite a large army, strong defences and pick off the opposition with a few air strikes.. Then send the boys in to wipe them out. While this tends to work, it takes fookin hours.

• Advertisement

Originally posted by Ry
    Myself and 3 others had our best game of Generals EVER on a map called Fine Art of War. Definitley better on lan but still a great map. Our game lasted 5 hours .....
    Ry

I played this map Sunday night - 2 players !
    Its a eight player map - huge !! - pretty awesome - tonnes of money - but you need at least 4 - probably 6 to get it working right

Anyone got the no-CD working for generals - it really hacks me off that I have to have the disc in the drive the whole time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Yeah the crack is easy enough to get working out of memory. I hate having to use CD's everytime I wanna run a game. Would nearly drive me to piracy, NEARLY

Is it just an exe ??
    I know you have to own your own copy of Generals to play online anyway - so piracy is not an issue
    (the key must be unique online)

Anybody tried Zero Hour yet ??
    I heard some good reports

Zero Hour - surely someone has paly it - whats the score - worth the hard earned 29.99 Euros ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭CombatCow

O hell yeah zero hour is frikken sweet,the ammount of new units and the like is amazing,there are 9 generals -3 for the gla,usa,china - there is a usa superweapon general,china tank general,gla stealth general... to name but a few.it's hard to pick one when playing a game cause there all so good.it really adds a lot more tatics to the game,but the game is still all about carnage.well worth E30

O gotta mention the excellent carpetbombing,M.O.A.B - mother of all bombs ( fuel air bomb upgrade ) and AC-130 spectre gunship fooking mental all at once on a base :D

CombatCow

• Closed Accounts Posts: 484 ✭✭ssh

Play.com have it for €23. It's well worth it.

I really like the U.S. Air force general, he gets some really cool stuff like stealth commanches. There is also a combat chinook, from which infantry can fire. It's cool tearing up 10 GLA workers using one of those filled with snipers.

There Chinese tank general is pretty good as well. He gets this new emporer tank, which is like an upgraded overlord. He doesn't get any artillery unites which kind of sucks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Played it first time online last night. Good Laugh. Gameplay is surprisingly smooth too, even over 56K.

Just a pity there aren't more players. There seem to be only two types of player - No lifers and Newbies.

Have to look for that map

I played Zero hour online for the first time last night - those damn stealth commanaches made mince meat of my base- it will take me a few days of practice me thinks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭Gangsta

Did any1 get an error message when starting Generals?

"generals.exe has ecountered a problem and needs to shut down, sorry for the inconvienience"

Any1 got a solution as i badly want to play online.
    Btw, when i installed the no-cd crack while i was playing 1player the game worked fine and i reinstalled and put in the cd and ran the exe and the error came.

ANY SOLUTIONS?

THANX

You are not going to like this ...

I attempted to install a no cd crack and I had to completely reinstall generals- I think the problem is at the patch revision level - make sure the no cd is suited to the patch level you have.

That said - I had reverted back to inserting the CD each time - how tidous:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

Obviously you've never had the pleasure of Monkey Island 2 on a hddless Amiga.

I get a pain in my arm when it's cold, from that game.

Originally posted by Gangsta
    Did any1 get an error message when starting Generals?
    ANY SOLUTIONS?

THANX

Here's a tip -
    Copy your maps /saved games to a safe place
    Uninstall Generals -
    Reboot
    Install Generals -
    Make sure it works (don't go near no-cd)
    install generals 1.6 patch
    make sure it works
    copy your Custom maps/saved games into the dir
    Install Zero Hour (if you have it)
    Make sure it works

Then - attampt your NO-Cds -
    (Logic being any update will probably over write some of the nocd files)
    If you make a note of all the files replaced in the update you hopefully have somesort of regression path should the update fail

Good luck - btw - if you get the nocd workking would you let me know where you got it
    I am sick of lugging around CD's all the time.

I did the procedure above last night and got it working fine - happy days - I can email you the no cd if you like
    I got it from gamecopyworld

Great - !:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,064 ✭✭✭BKtje

There are no-cd cracks on gamescopyworld for each patch. However there is one which works for all patches.

ZeroHour is great fun, so many new ways to attack/be attacked. Tis great fun :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement