Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Insurance for a 19yr old on a 125cc vespa?

Options
  • 26-09-2003 3:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 743 ✭✭✭

How in Gods name can anyone pay about 4,500(quote on hibernian direct) for fully comp insurance in all fairness?

Im 19 and wanted to get a 125cc vespa et4. The insurance is an absolute joke. Even thought im earning good money whilst at college, that is way out of my reach.

How do i get this price down?

PS: In the options on the hibernian site, i said i had a full a1 license and it was still that high.

Is that for real? :eek: :eek: :eek:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 607 ✭✭✭malico

Welcome to the world of under 25 drivers. Unfortunatly you have to pay hibernian the first year. After that, you can go to Carole Nash.
    Example.

1 years NCB 22, honda SUper 4

Hibernian: 6000
    Carolenash: 1400 (plus free AA membership)

Get a 50 and get your NCB. then move up. I paid, when i ws 21, 1500 for a 125 Pulsar!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 743 ✭✭✭UbahOne

I have an address outside Dublin i can use which brings it down to about 1,800 fully comp.

Can i get away with doing this?

*Cant get a 50cc cos the heads are just too much of a disgrace!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭a_ominous

[This is a bit like instant messaging at the mo ;) ]

Yup, the insurance is fupping expensive. The prices were increased in May / June. Hibernian are the only people who insure under 25s and they're having too many accidents. Well CArole Nash will insure some under 25s on motorbikes, but not many.

If it's any consolation, the price drops dramatically after 21 and there is a 35% loading for provisonal riders. Getting the full licence will be difficult without getting experience.

hehe ye. Didnt think it would be so ridiculously high. I had this whole fascination of a vespa for a 50cc when i was 16 but the insurance was ridiculously high so i didnt bother. Then three years later, its the same situation! Such a pity really...:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Cromwelly

A little OT I know but what size (cc) of bike does a full bike licence allow you to ride immediately after passing the test ?

I've seen figures quoted (bhp?) but I can't relate them to average bike engines.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭deecom

Your restricted to a bike under 33hp, which in theory can be anything (within reason!) Talk to a few bike shops they'll give you a run down.

Is there an equivalent to the UK's Direct Access licence ?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/motoring/twowheels/features_whichlicence.shtml

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭Silent Bob

Nope, in direct contravention of European law.

Don't you just love our government?

It's great being a politician.

You can avoid paying tax, drive home drunk and break some poor womans leg and lie to tribunals about crooked land deals.

Perish the thought that adults should be able to choose a perfectly legal mode of transport. Much better to keep them in saloon cars where they can add to traffic conjestion.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭ando

Originally posted by UbahOne
    How in Gods name can anyone pay about 4,500(quote on hibernian direct) for fully comp insurance in all fairness?

try paying €4609 for third party, like me :mad:

being young, male and from Dublin aint the best combination when looking for insurance

• Advertisement

It's great being a politician.You can avoid paying tax, drive home drunk and break some poor womans leg and lie to tribunals about crooked land deals.

He wasn't drunk. He was slightly over the limit. Also, he admitted it was entirely his fault immediately after the accident. This is something you never do, because that makes you completely liable for everything. The woman who was hit and had her leg shattered in 4 different positions, said "Only because of who he is, im going to take him to court". She can get any amount of money basically because of him admitting it was his fault and for her intentions to take him for everything he has got just for who he is. The poor woman all the same but it takes courage to admit to being entirely responsible i suppose. Anyway back on topic...
    try paying €4609 for third party, like me

What do you drive and how the hell do you afford it? Im earning 200 a week working part time with college and i still cant afford insurance...how do you afford it??? Do you say goodbye to social life altogeather? Man thats a lot of cash....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭Captain Trips

Originally posted by UbahOne
    The poor woman all the same but it takes courage to admit to being entirely responsible i suppose. Anyway back on topic...

If it was you, she'd also sue. Ireland has very high litigation rates. Sure he's a public figure, but she'd just as soon sue you or me. Heck if you, him or me were SOBER, she'd sue. Sorry about off topic.

"Only because of who he is, im going to take him to court". She can get any amount of money basically because of him admitting it was his fault and for her intentions to take him for everything he has got just for who he is.

Thats what she said there and with him admitting it is something your not meant to do as it leaves you totally open. Also, the fact that there was a zebra crossing a few metres away and the fact she jadewalked(sp?)...could leave it open for a very interesting case...however he totally admitted the fault so fair play to him and then she went out and said that.

• Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭a_ominous

A little OT I know but what size (cc) of bike does a full bike licence allow you to ride immediately after passing the test ?

I've seen figures quoted (bhp?) but I can't relate them to average bike engines.

take a look at
    MAG Ireland

This lists bikes that come meet the 33BHP power limit. Although the A licence allows with more powerful bikes providing they produce <=0.16kw/kg, some people have not been allowed by driving testers to do the test. Because it's a grey area.

Which leads on to your later question regarding Direct Access. There isn't one here in Ireland. I've read that some people have been doing tests in North and then change their licence here under EU laws.

My bike isn't on the MAG list; it's not a new bike, but is a grey import from Germany and I've been told meets power requirements. I don't have any documentary evidence for that though.

Advertisement