Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gsm Modem

• 26-09-2003 9:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭

Any1 kno anything about these. I have a project to complete on controlling a domestic appliance via sms and i dont really kno where to start. Any pointers at all ??- im a good worker all i need is a start!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭joc_06

any1???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 541 ✭✭✭Vorrtexx

I've used one of these at work to create an SMS interface between a database and the modem.
    it would send the messages out from a Sent Table in the DB, and messages received on the phone would be stored into the DB too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 629 ✭✭✭str8_away

joc_06

What made is the modem?
    Are you writing your own program?

It is easy to write your own program
    GSM modem is just like normal modem with extra command for SMS.

AT+CMGL="ALL" to list all SMS on SIM card
    AT+CMGD=# to delet message # on SIM
    AT+CMGS= GSM number to send SMS

You can still use ATD to dail and ATH ...

You can connect GSM modem to your PC and then use hyperterminal to talk to it. Make sure you have "bits per second" set as the same as your GSM modem before you can talk to it.

Ok here's the full story.

My project deals with control of domestic appliances via sms.
    I dont have any equipment bought yet but thro researching the web i came up with the following plan of action.
    1 design or make or hack up a gsm modem.
    2 use a microcontroller to interface to the modem and interpret the at command set
    3 use a relay to turn appliance on and off thro the microcontroller.

Now i just today heard about a thing called x-10 automation and im thinkin that this may be the way to go but i still need to interface to the smsc somehow as it HAS to be controlled by sms.
    I dont really know where to start at all.

Oh ya the sms has to thro the landline ie no modems, hyperterminals, rs232 can be seen in the final product!!

Any more help. I have a few hundred euro budget and i know gsm modems are expensive ~gbp200. Is it possible to make your own?? Any links??
    Thanks to all again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 627 ✭✭✭eoinm1

Try here

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 629 ✭✭✭str8_away

joc_06

I don't know much about microcontroller so not sure if this is possible.

This is what I think might work. You could use a cheap mobile phone, say Nokia 3310, a Data cable, microcontroller and relay board.

Connect Nokia 3310 to your microcontroller using data cable. So microcontroller can send/receive SMS using Nokia 3310. on the other side of microcontroller you have your relay to control appliance.

If you do a little research on the net, you can get command set for most of mobile phone on the market and wire diagram for data cable.

Is this project for yourself, work or college?

I already have this project working(almost) using an old ericcson interfaced to a pic16f84 !! But part of the title of my project is sms via LANDLINE. it must be connected into the telephone system (i think). I'll get onto my supervisor about the full set of specs/ limitations

Its a work/ learning project with a nice budget.

I'm kinda thinkin now that i could use one of the pcmia vodafone email anywhere cards as my gsm modem. But again i need to get away from pc's cas they cant be in the final solution. Mayb i could use a microcontroller to interface to this card ?? It would need to be powerful tho - a lot faster than 20Mhz id say which rules out most pics.

Any1 kno what pcmia is like to interface to?

Also any1 know anything about x-10 automation?? A fella mentioned it to me and id say that it could be the way to go as regards controlling the domestic appliance

Thanks again lads - really gettin places now!!

Originally posted by str8_away
    joc_06

This is what I think might work. You could use a cheap mobile phone, say Nokia 3310, a Data cable, microcontroller and relay board.

Connect Nokia 3310 to your microcontroller using data cable. So microcontroller can send/receive SMS using Nokia 3310. on the other side of microcontroller you have your relay to control appliance.

If you do a little research on the net, you can get command set for most of mobile phone on the market and wire diagram for data cable.

Originally posted by str8_away
    joc_06

Hit the nail on the head here. Was talking to my supervisor and he's right flexible. He said mobile to mobile sms was fine- he'd even accept wap email to webserver control!!
    I'm in business - no gsm modem, no pcmia!!

In da words of rik flair - woooooooooo

Advertisement