Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who Should be the new Dr Who?

Options
  • 26-09-2003 10:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭

Well its comming back in 2005 a six part series will see the Doctor
    back where he should be - on the Beeb scaring small children!

But who will play the Time Lord? Many Names have already
    been mentioned and they're in the poll.

Vote Now!

Who Should play the Good Doctor 25 votes

Alan Davies Young and Cute Time Lord
    0% 0 votes
    Richard E Grant - Witty and Urbane Time Lord
    8% 2 votes
    James Nesbitt - Regional Smart Arse Time Lord
    20% 5 votes
    Paul McGann - Dark Gravitas Time Lord
    8% 2 votes
    Sean Pertwee - Nepotistic Time Lord
    40% 10 votes
    Lenny Henry - Equal Oppounities Time Lord
    0% 0 votes
    Patrick Stewart - Foreign Sales Time Lord
    0% 0 votes
    Other - Your Ideal Time Lord
    24% 6 votes

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Paul McGann! He never got a fair chance! And having read the large large majority of the BBC Eight Doctor novels, I've built him up in my head and now want that guy on screen. It must be so.

Or Johnny Depp. Y'know. Whichever.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Gavin W

Got to be Paul McGann for me, he was the best thing about the '96 TV Movie and I'd love to see him given a proper chance to develop the role on TV.

Though I realise that's probably just wishful thinking from the fan in me, and realistically it's doubtful he's being considered. Richard E. Grant would be wonderful too, and Alan Davies, while not my first choice (he seems too much like the obvious casting choice due to Jonathan Creek) would still be pretty good I reckon.

Hell, I don't care who it is, I'm just ecstatic it's coming back! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭Terminator

Rachel Griffiths.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

I'll have to go with McGann also, he was brilliant in the movie, and wasn't really given a chance. Although, I would equally like to see Richard E. Grant, and Sean Pertwee in the role.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭Shinji

Lawrence Llywellen-Bowen. I'm not kidding. He'd be absolutely perfect for the role. Flouncing around like a total fop comes naturally to him :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭MarVeL

How about a time looped Doctor. That way we could could see both Paul McGann (who does deserve a proper run) and Richard E Grant (who could be very, very good). Dr Who and I?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭David Stewart

A bunch of us were sitting in the bar at Phoenix Con last week discussing this very subject. The consensus was that Joannah Lumley - remember her in the Comic Relief special? - would be ideal.

I still would like to see John Cleese as the Dr and Andrew Sachs as the companion.

The Doctor: Manuel. Go outside and look for Daleks.
    Manuel (for it is he): Que?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Originally posted by David Stewart
    A bunch of us were sitting in the bar at Phoenix Con last week discussing this very subject. The consensus was that Joannah Lumley - remember her in the Comic Relief special? - would be ideal.

Miss Lumley? A woman as The Doctor? Surely not! I understand Bill Nighy (pic below) who is an exellent character actor in his "middle years" has become the new favourite.

I_capture_the_castle_4small.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭jd

Maybe someone like kevin shields (MBV) should do the new theme music..:)

Originally posted by jd
    Maybe someone like kevin shields (MBV) should do the new theme music..:)

I want Orbital's "Doctor Who" mix! It's quite decent and funky....
    Also K-9 Mark IV should be the new Doctor...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭David Stewart

And what's wrong with having a woman as the Doctor?

Originally posted by David Stewart
    And what's wrong with having a woman as the Doctor?

On paper nothing (part from breaking with tradition of course) but
    in reality (!) everything 'cos everytime The Doctor encountered
    a sqirmy alien enemy she's just scream and hitch up her skirt! :D

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭Lawdie

Why don't we make it simple and bring back Tom Baker

• Registered Users Posts: 5,462 ✭✭✭shinzon

have to say i think Patrick Stewart would make an excellent time lord, hed bring gravitas to the role that hasnt been there since Tom Baker

Of course it would all depend on Stewart actually wanting to do another SCI-FI series, but you never know, also didnt i read somewhere that Eddie Izzard is in the running

Shin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭superfly

Tom Baker made a suggestion the other week and i think i would have to agree with him, we need someone that was as zany and brilliant as Baker was and i think the perfect candidate would be Eddie Izzard
    you can just imagine him in some tran sexualistic type outfit which he has created for himself and talking about how the Daleks should be pitied because they cant tie their shoelaces or something

I don't want the new series to be too farcical. Izzard would make it so. I'd like to see it take the approach of the Baker/Davison years where you could get darkness (i.e. "The Talons of Weing-Chang") or the light humour. Don't make the Doctor too sarcastic (O'Neill has that covered in Stargate:SG-1!) but more retain the flippant disregard for authority that he's always had. Hence Johnny Depp.

Originally posted by ixoy
    Hence Johnny Depp.

NO Americans!

Mike

ps I'd like to Tom Baker back as well.....he's still got that slightly mad aspect to his persona.

Well I backing Tom Baker, I dont think hes unobtainable. They could easily write him back in. So if theres any producers/casting people out there don't bother with a chancer get Tom.

On Patrick Stewart I say we would all be looking at the screen waiting on him to say "Engage". Then really annoy us by calling all his assistants number one.

Now we got Tom back in the saddle.

Whos going to be his number one. For that I say...K9 (part III)

Originally posted by Lawdie
    Now we got Tom back in the saddle.

Whos going to be his number one. For that I say...K9 (part III)

Whaddya mean K9 Part III? :confused: You mean K-9 Mark III?

Dead right MKIII

So how old is Tom Baker now anyway, Earth years..not timelord, covering base from all smarty pants

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

Eddie Izzard.

Oh yes.

This is Izzard who was in the avengers, forget it. The only reasaon he would be good is his inability to get work elsewhere means he would stay a timelord until I'm old.

I know its the new century but nobodies ready for a make up wearing jessy in the tardis yet are they?

What about a female timelord or timelady.... eddie could do both

Advertisement