Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircon catching the unwary BB customer

Options
  • 27-09-2003 2:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭

As predicted by some around here, the rat's special offer, and associated marketing splurge, is attracting customers unaware of competitive offerings, and right here on Boards.ie , too. In this case, although the original poster had already signed up, other Boards subscribers were quick to point out the better value options available.

A lot of people will be sucked in like this, simply because IOL & UTV do not have resources to match Eircon's message.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Ronan

Yes I was definitly swayed by this forum to reject Eircom. And I have decided to go with UTV. That is once I can get Eircom to tell me when my line will be enabled :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭elexes

i know a few ppl that have the nice job of ringing up the ppl and trying to sell the bb/phones etc.. they also tried to sway me but from what ive gathered from there conversations a lot of ppl simply dont know that with a eircom line you can get other companies to install dsl and have a better service allround + almost all of them have never heard of boards.ie or ioffl / via netsource or ibb /utv. its lack of advertising by others that is giving eircom all the customers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Eurorunner

If you spend a lot of time on boards, its very easy to assume that everyone knows at least that their are other options available in terms of dsl service providers. However, this is far from reality.

In particular, very few people seem to be aware of UTVs existance in terms of internet service provision. I'd imagine due to the current setup and margins as resellers, its not feasible to do the mass advertising that €ircon are doing.

Furthermore, its amazing the amount of people that are put off by the inclusion of the telephony with the dialup/broadband subscription...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Urban Weigl

Originally posted by Eurorunner
    Furthermore, its amazing the amount of people that are put off by the inclusion of the telephony with the dialup/broadband subscription...

I do not want to save 25% on my phone calls. I do not want to save 25% on my phone calls. I feel the urge to hand over more cash to Eircom. Sorry, couldn't resist. :)

The reason UTV have users switch over their CPS is so that if all the FRIACO lines are engaged, their dialler will automatically "fall over" to a secondary phone number, which is not FRIACO based, and they can only afford to offer it with CPS.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭Da Man

I've seen quite a few ads for UTVip so they're trying. I don't think the brand "UTV" was the smartest to use for an internet service, but each to their own.

I think the problem with UTV is that they only offer one ADSL service level and the last time I talked to them they wouldn't sell Clicksilver to companies, even though Eircom happily sells i-stream starter to anyone.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 387 ✭✭css

I haven't seen one advert for UTV on the Tv.. I have sky digital.. I don't watch RTE much either..

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,786 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Originally posted by css
    I haven't seen one advert for UTV on the Tv.. I have sky digital.. I don't watch RTE much either..

Shockingly the ads are usually on UTV, which I believe isn't on Sky Digital.

They also had billboards on some petrol stations.

Advertisement