Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

OS percentages

• 27-09-2003 4:41am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 273 ✭✭

I'm involved in a 50 euro bet, basically the bet is who has the most users per OS, wether it be macOSX win2k winXP etc you get my drift. Can anyone direct me to a believable site with good approximates? or else have answers of their own? hardcore mac gfx designers at play here. I reckon about 8% is mac.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

First of all, we need a site that tracks that info. Secondly we need a site that everyone visits.

Thankfully such a thing exists, check out google zeitgeist

It stores ALL this info. as you can see, a mere 3% of users access google with MacOS.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Ahem, someone lost the bet :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭MrPinK

The browser stats are a little depressing.
    1. IE 6.0
    2. IE 5.5
    3. IE 5.0.

There looks like only about 5% that aren't using IE.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Originally posted by MrPinK
    The browser stats are a little depressing.
    1. IE 6.0
    2. IE 5.5
    3. IE 5.0.

There looks like only about 5% that aren't using IE.
    the poor fools, get some mozilla firebird in your life ffs.
    i wonder what percentage of mac users use ie...
    (unless i'm mistaken & there wasn't a mac port made...)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭sunbeam

I also wonder how many have set other browsers to identify themelves as IE.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 932 ✭✭✭lotas

yea. opera as standard, to my knowledge, says its IE 5 or 6 i think. mozilla is sweet. havent moved to firebird cause im using the mail client in mozilla too. handy that. there was a copy of IE for the mac and MS stoped making it a while back. same with windows. the next copy of IE will be in long horn, which is due Q1 of 2005!! i think its time to move to opera lads! i like the OSX, and Linux rocks too, but stuck with winxp.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 401 ✭✭zeris

I have my links masquerading as IE6. You would be surprised the number of sites that block entry based on your browser ident. This is despite the fact that a lot of the site works under links, although it my look like pants.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

heh heh heh, sorry to make ya lose the bet :-p

Anyway, i use Xp and firebird, w00t! I highly recommend it. Also, i was a bit surprised about the %'s using Netscape/mozilla, i always thought they had about 20%. I'll set my mac to constantly go to google pages, to bumb up those mac stats :-p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Originally posted by lotas
    yea. opera as standard, to my knowledge, says its IE 5 or 6 i think.
    It does. I changed mine to Opera to proudly display my "NOT IE DAMN YOU", er, credentials.

The last estimate I read had IE with about 96.1% of the market. The slightly lower figure on google might reflect the fact that some IE users are more likely to just use MSN when it appears, less likely with other users who don't just use whatever came pre-installed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

only 5% aren't running IE, agghhh

whats the story there, isn't there an IE available for mac ?

i mean i know we all hate m$ but shurely not enough to run the excrement known as netscape !

open an instace of ie and one of netscape, ctrl + alt + del and check the memory usage

ie = ~ 1- 2 meg
    the dog known as netscape = ~ 20 meg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭BoB_BoT

em... mozilla is a variation of netscape and it's a lot feckin better than ie, execpt for the screen it shows when it starts, that annoys me, but other than that, it's far better

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Originally posted by BoB_BoT
    em... mozilla is a variation of netscape and it's a lot feckin better than ie, execpt for the screen it shows when it starts, that annoys me, but other than that, it's far better

I disagree, M$ make the best browsers, in terms of support for new standards, stability, and not hogging tonnes of memory, I don't like this but I've tried them all, always found if a site doesn't work in mozilla, netscape, opera etc, open it in IE and it does, yes I know thats prolly cause most web designers prog for ie as it has the biggest user base, but thats life

and off topic but hit www.netscape.com and what do u get POPUPS FFS, and these guys are touting themselves as the alternative, no thanks netsape, take your popups and stick them up your arse

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭ozt9vdujny3srf

Ahh the old browser question, i have tried mozilla, opera, netscape and phoenix browsers, and on each occasion i have gone back to ie6 (on a side note i ****ing hate netscape). I would rather not be described as a "poor fool" for using ie, the fact is i am used to it and it never has problems displaying websites. Sure Opera may be quite feature rich, but it doesnt mean everybody should have to use it, so fuck off browser nerds ;)

I had huge problems with IE6 on Windows ME.

I usually got 3-4 blue screens per day while using it, plus annoying error boxes every second time I closed it that I couldn't get rid of without holding down the off button. I ran Adaware and Spybot frequently so I don't think that spyware/malware was the problem.

Switched to Firebird-or Phoenix as it then was-and the blue screens reduced to about one very six weeks (never while using it). I'm running XP now, and use IE only when absolutely necessary.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭ozt9vdujny3srf

Originally posted by sunbeam
    I had huge problems with IE6 on Windows ME.

I usually got 3-4 blue screens per day while using it, plus annoying error boxes every second time I closed it that I couldn't get rid of without holding down the off button. I ran Adaware and Spybot frequently so I don't think that spyware/malware was the problem.

Switched to Firebird-or Phoenix as it then was-and the blue screens reduced to about one very six weeks (never while using it). I'm running XP now, and use IE only when absolutely necessary.

Windows ME eh? theres your problem, anyways doesnt ie6 only work on windows 2000/XP?

Well it's supposed to work on 98 and ME according to Microsoft's website, though I know another user who tried upgrading to it and it screwed up her system so badly that she had to reinstall windows.

Anyhow, when I stopped using it the frequency of blue screens decreased dramatically.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭MrPinK

Originally posted by bananayoghurt
    i mean i know we all hate m$ but shurely not enough to run the excrement known as netscape !

open an instace of ie and one of netscape, ctrl + alt + del and check the memory usage

ie = ~ 1- 2 meg
    the dog known as netscape = ~ 20 meg
    Netscape is ****, no one is suggesting using it. But firebird, opera and mozilla are all vastly superior. IE 6.0 uses ~15Mb of mem. It's always going to use less because it's part of the operating system. This is also why you can, and do, need 'critical' updates to patch major security holes for something as simple as a browser.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Originally posted by Truckle
    I would rather not be described as a "poor fool" for using ie, the fact is i am used to it and it never has problems displaying websites. Sure Opera may be quite feature rich, but it doesnt mean everybody should have to use it, so fuck off browser nerds ;)
    *shakes head*
    poor fool...

nah, each to his own ***, if it works for you then more pouwah to you!
    i love mf to bits, and there's no way i'm going back to ie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,518 ✭✭✭Hecate

Yep Firebird all the way. It's neat, fast and squashes popups :)

I've also been using the mozilla email client Thunderbird; it has an excellent spam blocking feature that seems to be based on some kind of case-based reasoning or artificial intelligence; very nice.

Advertisement