Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Soul Caliber 10/10 on Eurogamer

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Yeah noticed that review alright, always a bit suspect about a game getting a perfect score but it certainly looks like its deserving of it..

Played it for about an hour yesterday and its excellent. The characters look slightly different than the first one as the review states but thats not important. Its as good as and better than the first one. All I have to do now is unlock Cervantes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭mr_angry

Myself and McKey were playing it for about 3 hours last night. The b*stard has got Spawn off to a T!

Even gave me a wooping when I was Kilik. I was pretty annoyed.

Angry, ya do realise no one knows who the **** McKey is......... Thats bordering on insanity MARTIN.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭mr_angry

Originally posted by jesus_thats_gre
    Angry, ya do realise no one knows who the **** McKey is......... Thats bordering on insanity MARTIN.....

What? That's not the point. If I said "Third Echelon", do you think anyone would know who it was? Doesn't matter...

Originally posted by mr_angry4
    What? That's not the point. If I said "Third Echelon", do you think anyone would know who it was? Doesn't matter...

It would actually make some difference.... No one here knows who McKey is.. While everyone knows who Third_Ech is cause he pisses everyone off....

Anyway, gotta spend a few hours at the game so I can start remember some moves.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

definitely on my shopping list along with metroid prime for when i pick up a cheapo cube...
    g'wan link!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭Creature

I think thats way too high a score myself but I'll still be picking up a copy, for the Gamecube of course :).

Anybody here played the 'Cube version yet? I'm eager to know how Link has turned out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 833 ✭✭✭Stormfox1020

Jus got the game today, fighting is sweet, love the dubbed over english voices tho. Spawn is awesome, espically that big fireball move. Sigh i can sense another 100hours wasted playing games,
    ahwell who needs sleep anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭Swifty

Waaaaah.. no monies :(

Think I'll get the cube version. Probably for ****ing christmas though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭BLITZ_Molloy

It's a dissapointing sequel. VF4: Evo just does the same thing so much better. Much like the FIFA/Pro Evo the games appeal to different audiences but giving SC2 10/10 is laudable.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭Deadwing

I was lucky enough to get a pre-release copy of it on wednesday, its bloody sweet. (Tho i wanted a cube copy but had to settle for a Ps2 copy..pah, Heiachi my arse).
    I hate the english dubbing tho, but its fun in the theatre mode making Ivy grunt and groan then say "Are you satisfied yet?" hehe..giggity giggity giggity!
    Love it love it love it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,020 ✭✭✭Ry

I bought it on friday played it for hours well into saturday morning. Slept and then brought it back as I'd have no one to play it with all the way out here in the styx! I was pleased to avail of Game's 10% off and pricematch scheme +13 yoyos to get me Generals Expansion Zero Hour AND homeworld 2 which I've yet to play. I'm much happier with my 2 games rather than 1 :P But I played Calibur 2 to bits to really really get a feel for it and it REALLY REALLY is good! The combat is every bit as fast paced and fun to watch as all it's predecessors. Fantastic game and well worth the buy if you have the people to get around to play it :)

Ry

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,502 ✭✭✭Shred

Got the Cube version meself on Friday in Gamesworld in Santry (got to Smyth's in Jervis St at 17:54 to find they were closed having parked and walked accross town from Drury St. :mad: )

Anyway played it for about three hours so far, it's really good but it's gonna take me a while to get to grips with it as I didn't play the first one. One of me mates rented the PS2 version and was dissapointed with it having played the first one, he reckons it's not much different from the first one and prefers the look of the original.

Link is the business and has some really cool special moves, playin through Weapons Master Mode with him at the moment.

Well worth picking up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 867 ✭✭✭l3rian

I loved that game on my dreamcast, I had Kilik down to a tee. Is this version much different to the dc version?

Originally posted by l3rian
    I loved that game on my dreamcast, I had Kilik down to a tee. Is this version much different to the dc version?

Nope, pretty much th exact same..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭Shinji

Yeah it's exactly the same except for the new characters, different moves, irregular arenas, better graphics, improved weapon master mode, weapon selection features, reworked AI in singleplayer.... Aside from that it's basically the same game :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Still havent played it :(

This sucks have the damn game 3 days and yet to get home to play it:(

kdjac

Originally posted by Shinji
    Yeah it's exactly the same except for the new characters, different moves, irregular arenas, better graphics, improved weapon master mode, weapon selection features, reworked AI in singleplayer.... Aside from that it's basically the same game :rolleyes:

So yeah its pretty much the same game.. that is the style of the game is the exact same and its plays the exact same.... Thats the best things about it...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭Pugsley

new characters, different moves, irregular arenas, better graphics, improved weapon master mode, weapon selection features, reworked AI in singleplayer
    If its not broken, dont fix it :)

Superb game, Weapon Master mode is a bit of a git at times. My only minor gripe of the game is Lizardman, I knew him inside out in SC1, and now hes an absolute bugger to get up :( Ill get him yet..... almost there......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭Shinji

So yeah its pretty much the same game..

Well no. It's got people in it hitting each other with pointy, sharp objects, and it certainly retains most of the balancing and good bits of the original, but accusing it of being almost identical to the DC version is deeply unfair - Namco have put a lot of work into adding new stuff so that this is a good purchase even for someone who played the original Soul Calibur to death.

• Advertisement

Well no. It's got people in it hitting each other with pointy, sharp objects, and it certainly retains most of the balancing and good bits of the original, but accusing it of being almost identical to the DC version is deeply unfair - Namco have put a lot of work into adding new stuff so that this is a good purchase even for someone who played the original Soul Calibur to death.

There has been alot of extra features added to the game but its still essentially the same game.. Which is good, as the first game was deadly..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭BLITZ_Molloy

The problem is the bits they added are ****e. The AI is a cheap ****er and the extra characters don't even have proper movelists.

What they did to Lizardman is a ****ing travesty.

Originally posted by BLITZ_Molloy
    What they did to Lizardman is a ****ing travesty.

I know I probably wont want to hear this but........what did they do to Lizardman?:(

I agree with BLITZ and jesus_thats_gre, it may have new things like characters and backgrounds but it essentially remains to be the same game. And from what I've heard it suffers from a few flaws aswell, I would've thought that a game getting the full 10/10 would be absolutly perfect as in no flaws and perfect gameplay.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭Lex_Diamonds

So, this or VF4 Evo. ? I'm in two minds I have to say.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,927 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

bought Soul Calibur 2 for my gamecube and adore it, Link is fantastic BUT there are some aspects of Soul Calibur 2 which are dissapointing, the main fault imo is the ending sequence or lack of one, after seeing the amazing intro but then to be greeted by a still image and two lines of text for the end of each characters victory is gutting to say the least, this was fine with Street Fighter on the SNES back in early 1990s but not now... they cuda at least used in-game engine to have some sort of a nice short movie for each character's victory..... im also dissapointed with the boss, he seems very similar to some of the boss's ive seen in previous Namco Tekkan games and mimicking the other fighters moves.. not very original.. i expected sommet unique and interesting to give Soul Calibur 2 a great ending and finally in the gamecube version altho the graphics are excellent im dissapointed that the 'jiggie lines' or lack of antialising? very very strong in places thus slightly spoiling the beautifull sheen to those wonderfull graphics... i had the dreamcast original Soul Calibur 1 and cant remember seeing loads of jiggie lines...despite by dissapointments outlined above SC 2 is one of the most enjoyable games ive played on my cube in a long time... it plays excellent, im surprised how gud the cube's controller is for the game, I was expecting it to be difficult giving the controllers layout, weapon master mode is excellent with so much to unlock, I think the soundtrack is great too. I would give SC2 about 85%

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,083 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

Originally posted by Creature
    I think thats way too high a score myself but I'll still be picking up a copy, for the Gamecube of course :).

Yes you think it is two high of a score when you have not played it. That sounds like something someone I know said about Enter The Matrix before he played it - something like "it's going to be brilliant".

I just love people who judge things before they experience them. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭Deadwing

Originally posted by jesus_thats_gre
    There has been alot of extra features added to the game but its still essentially the same game.. Which is good, as the first game was deadly..
    Thats a bit like saying "Well itrs basically the same as Tekken 1, cause its got 2 people hitting each other in it". But im sure Namco were in a damned if you do, damned if you dont situation, as alot of Soul Calibur freaks would have bemoaned them if theyd changed the format too drastically. Personally i think it rocks...mmmmm..Ivy :D

Originally posted by monument
    Yes you think it is two high of a score when you have not played it. That sounds like something someone I know said about Enter The Matrix before he played it - something like "it's going to be brilliant".

I just love people who judge things before they experience them. :rolleyes:

I'm happy that you love me but I don't think that I really need to have played a game to death to see weather or not it deserves top marks. Every article I read about the game stated at least two faults about it which means that clearly it's not a perfect game and doesnt deserve a perfect 10 score. I guess all the articles could be lying though....

Getting past that though I did manage to pick up a Gamecube copy of SC2 today. It rocks :). I was soooooo happy to once again play as my favourite axe wielding seven year old :). Its definatly one of the best games I've ever played possibly the best fighting game of all. However the endings are indeed atrocious and there is the occaisional graphical glitch. With that in mind its still a blast and I'd give it a 9.5 or 9.

So, this or VF4 Evo. ? I'm in two minds I have to say.
    Get both. Though bear in mind VF4evo leans much more toward the strategic side of fighting, if you prefer all out action get SC2. Also you'll need a few years of your life to devote to mastering VF4evo :(.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,083 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

Originally posted by Creature
    I'm happy that you love me but I don't think that I really need to have played a game to death to see weather or not it deserves top marks.

Sorry, I read your first post as if you had not played it at all.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,614 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Really thinking about getting this. Don't know wether to get the GC version or PS2 version. I'd rather have the link character but I'm worried about how the GC pad handles in a beat'em up.

Advertisement