Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Soul Caliber 10/10 on Eurogamer

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,463 ✭✭✭shinzon

I got the x-box version of this game yesterday, well chuffed, im not much of a beat em fan to be honest, but i like this game a lot, im playing as sapwn now and hes belting everyone about the place lol

Shin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

I unlocked Cervantes yesterday :) made my day

• Registered Users Posts: 573 ✭✭✭Len_007

Came in to rant about the endings, but that's been done. I thought there might be a harder arcade that gets unlocked when you complete normal arcade with all the characters.
    Other than that it's class. Link Rocks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭Creature

Originally posted by Retr0gamer
    Really thinking about getting this. Don't know wether to get the GC version or PS2 version. I'd rather have the link character but I'm worried about how the GC pad handles in a beat'em up.

No, no, no the GC pad works perfectly! Ye see this isn't the standard fighing game with 3 punches, 3 kicks etc. In SC2 you just have Block, kick, Horizontal slash and Vertical slash and since there's only 4 actions the pad accomdates perfectly. It's easy to use and a synch to get used to.
    Get the GC version, Link is so much fun to play as.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,927 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

yea go for the gamecube version, link is in it (easily the best of the new characters) and the gamecube controller is surprisingly excellent setup for the game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

Prob pick it in the next few days. How much is it? My local shop is charging €66 for GC version and €60 for PS2 version. i don't live in a city so the option of travelling to Smyths or Game doesn't apply to me. Local Xtravision only have the PS2 copy.... don't want that one, heard its better on GC.

Try ordering it online. Play.com is a good site and they deliver free. It may take longer coming from England but
    you'll save cash.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

What a game :D

Havent finished any of the modes yet on hard anyways but everytime free minute i get is spent on it.

2 player is simply amazing.

Will play more before agreeing or disagreeing with 10.10

kdjac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭BLITZ_Molloy

Originally posted by Creature
    I know I probably wont want to hear this but........what did they do to Lizardman?:(

Nothing at all has been carried over from the original character - speed and priority have been reduced, fast combo attacks like A K > B K or 11AA have been slowed and the kicks, stun attacks and sword lunges specific to him have been removed. All his sneak attacks like hcfhcf8, 33B dont work, his 66B uppercut which was death in the DC version has reduced range.....and he's looks ****.

Link is a mess as well. He's all projectile attacks which don't gel with the main game at all. The only well rounded extra character is Spawn.

SC is fun for a couple of weeks but its things like this that just piss me off in the long term. VF4: Evo just gets everything right, even if it lacks the initial over the top appeal of Namco's output.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭Shinji

Lizardman shouldn't have been unlockable in SC2. He wasn't unlockable in the Japanese version, he only appeared in the Weapon Master mode - they threw him in as a bonus extra in the PAL version. He was NEVER designed as a fully rounded character and has a very limited moveset - anyone using him in Versus mode needs their head seeing to.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭Deadwing

Never liked lizardman anyway. I always thouyght he was just Sophitia with..umm..lizard..body. But yeah, i wanted to ask, is it much better on GC compared to PS2? I originally wanted to get the GC version for Link, but we only got PS2 copies in work, so deciding between a free ps2 copy, or 60 euro for a GC copy you can imagine what i chose. So what ARE the differences? The controller seems like it would suck for beat em ups.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

I using GC pad and its perfect, the 3 buttons are well thought out and all the rest are blocks so a Block+ Kick is easiest with L and X .

I dont know whether it was meant but i seem to use different block buttons for different attacks which req block.

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Eh get the fee one ya mad man.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 931 ✭✭✭moridin

Originally posted by Creature
    No, no, no the GC pad works perfectly! Ye see this isn't the standard fighing game with 3 punches, 3 kicks etc. In SC2 you just have Block, kick, Horizontal slash and Vertical slash and since there's only 4 actions the pad accomdates perfectly. It's easy to use and a synch to get used to.
    Get the GC version, Link is so much fun to play as.

I have the GC version, one person using a GC pad and another using a PS2 pad via an adapter. The PS2 pad is soooo much better for this game. The lack of a decent D-pad on the GC controller really hurts, making it very very easy to do the wrong move by mistake or just not managing to do the move at all. Played with the GC pad cos my brother won't go near it and when I switched to the Dual Shock controller it was so much easier to play properly :P

In an interesting bit of news, the GC version of SC2 is outselling both Xbox and Ps2 versions, and accounts for something like 31% of total sales, the sales of gamecube are up over 100% in some shops since its release :D

The lack of a decent D-pad on the GC controller really hurts

Some day, the 2D beat 'em up fanatics are going to realise that SC2 was designed to be played on the analogue stick, and you're crippling your ability at the game by using the d-pad. Some day...

(No, I'm not making that up - Namco has said so from the outset. There was an interview in Dengeki ages ago with one of the lead guys gushing about how great the GameCube controller is because its analogue stick is in an octagonal cutout, so it's really easy to do proper beat 'em up controls with it since it's just like a proper arcade stick, but with analogue movement for the eight-way run system...)

Originally posted by moridin
    I have the GC version, one person using a GC pad and another using a PS2 pad via an adapter. The PS2 pad is soooo much better for this game. The lack of a decent D-pad on the GC controller really hurts, making it very very easy to do the wrong move by mistake or just not managing to do the move at all. Played with the GC pad cos my brother won't go near it and when I switched to the Dual Shock controller it was so much easier to play properly :P

I don't agree, ifind it much easier to use the Stirk rather than the d-pad. I hate and always have hated using d-pad for fighting gams not only do they completely destroy your thumbs but it's twice as gard to pull off some move motions. Agree completely with Shinji.

Originally posted by Shinji
    Some day, the 2D beat 'em up fanatics are going to realise that SC2 was designed to be played on the analogue stick, and you're crippling your ability at the game by using the d-pad. Some day...

(No, I'm not making that up - Namco has said so from the outset. There was an interview in Dengeki ages ago with one of the lead guys gushing about how great the GameCube controller is because its analogue stick is in an octagonal cutout, so it's really easy to do proper beat 'em up controls with it since it's just like a proper arcade stick, but with analogue movement for the eight-way run system...)

My arse, it was originally designed to be played on an arcade machine with Sanwa J-sticks. Those have tiny travel. Absolute polar opposite to an analogue stick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Originally posted by Deadwing
    In an interesting bit of news, the GC version of SC2 is outselling both Xbox and Ps2 versions, and accounts for something like 31% of total sales, the sales of gamecube are up over 100% in some shops since its release :D
    the revolution is upon us:horned:
    (31% must be a wrong figure tho)

Originally posted by tman
    the revolution is upon us:horned:
    (31% must be a wrong figure tho)
    This is just the first step before the Gamecube becomes self aware, takes over the world, and attacks humans with little Italian plumber terminators. "I'll a' be a' back!"

• Advertisement

My arse, it was originally designed to be played on an arcade machine with Sanwa J-sticks. Those have tiny travel. Absolute polar opposite to an analogue stick.

The arcade version was originally designed for that. Oddly enough the console versions have been substantially rewritten to compensate for console controls. However I'm delighted to note that you apparently know more about this than THE GUY WHO DESIGNED THE GAME DOES!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭bugs

Whether it was designed for an analogue stick or not, i dunno. But the sticks on pads like the GC and ps2 bear no resemblence to an arcade stick. You haven't a fraction of the freedom of movement with a thumb-stick as you would have with a japanese style arcade stick. I could understand that they could modify it with the analogue option in mind, but its not got any of the advantages of a proper stick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Originally posted by Shinji
    However I'm delighted to note that you apparently know more about this than THE GUY WHO DESIGNED THE GAME DOES!
    roffle.
    finely played:D

I don't claim to know more about the game than the designer.

I'm just claiming that game designers talk alot of horse****. I could go digging in google for Dave Perry sound bytes at this point but you didn't bother to provide a proper quote and source so I don't think I'll bother.

Advertisement