Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clone Disk + Change Drive assignation

Options
  • 27-09-2003 5:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 48

Hi,

I will appreciate tips on the following:

Current Situation
    PC PII/266, 128Mb, 2 x HDD 4Gb, 2 CD Drives, OS is W2K Professional
    C: is the boot drive, FAT32. Scratch disk
    D: is CD-R
    E: is CD-RW
    F: is the W2K disk. FAT32 Everything is installed here.

Problem

Need to remove 1 hard disk (the scratch one, which is the boot disk), hence moving all my installation from F: to C:

Moving my second disk to be the primary and making it bootable is the easiest, but I need suggestions for the following:
    1. Registry mass search-and-replace "F:" to "C:"
    2. Shortcuts massive search-and-replace "F:" to "C:"
    Any good idea? Which program(s) would do that - ideally freeware or shareware.

Thanks,
    Butch

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,780 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

M$ OS's are not designed to be moved around - you are supposed to reinstall - it's copy protection or poor boot flexability - take your pick.

You can reassign drive letters - move C: to H: or somesuch first.
    Administrative Tools - Computer Management - Storage - Disk Management..
    (No idea how your apps or OS will react to this. )
    =====================================

You can use utils like Ghost (not free) / partimage (Linux) to clone partitions - but 2K / XP will blue screen unless you use sysprep first (sysprep means you have to enter the serial no again.)
    NT can only be cloned to PC's with the same IDE controller -

for 95/98/ME you could use seagates utils (but it looks for a seagate HDD so won't work unless at least one of the drives is this brand - but it can go through the reg)

You will need to make the partition active and make the system files bootable - for 2k it might mean runnign repair or doing a dummy reinstall to a temporary folder - when it reboots - you cancel the install...

Advertisement