Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking to get a Laptop

• 27-09-2003 5:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭

Looking to get a laptop for general use + a bit of gaming..

Just wondering for a price of about €1,499

What manufacturer would be advisable to with and what kind of specs? Ive heard of the Nvidia Go range and the Radeon Mobility things? which is the best? Also whats this Pentium M thing with much lower ghz speeds? as apposed to the p4 2.6 etc? they seem to be priced the same :/?

Regards,
    -Coz.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭Duffman

Just got a Pentium M centrino with Radeon 9000 gfx and I'm happy... Although the M clock speeds are lower they seem to compare well to P4s in benchmarks... Power management with the M chip and Radeon gfx is great, I can get up to 4 hours of battery life while you're lucky to get 2 out of a P4...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 motorbass

Check out the Acer travelmate 803

Includes Mobility Radeon 9000, Pentium-M 1.6 GHz, 15" screen etc.

They are less well known than Tosh / Dell but they do have a great reputation, look great and offer more bang for the buck.

Beyond 2000 in Dublin sell them as do plenty of online shops.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭-ADREN-

i was looking for a laptop somewhere with a 9600 128ram card but I can only seem to find it on a german laptop make called Peacock and its hard with all the german stuff.. Where could i get a laptop english based with the m10 9600 128ram card... also do the p4 m's lower clock speeds mean they perform a good bit slower than that of the normal p4's, are they just for the extra battery life really?

Regards,
    -Coz.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 motorbass

Apparently a 1.6GHz Pentium M chip runs as fast as a 2.8 GHz
    Pentium 4. The difference is in the low heat, low noise and long battery life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

yea, P4M uses a lower VCore, so less heat and a more efficent chip. Some mobile chips have been used in desktops as great overclockers. K6 3+ (or whatever is was) comes to mind.

Nicer on juice and only runs itself at the clock neccacry for the job its doing. Same as sidestep really.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭Duffman

Originally posted by SouperComputer
    yea, P4M uses a lower VCore, so less heat and a more efficent chip

I was refering to the Pentium M, the Pentium 4 M is an entirely different chip..

The P4M is essentially a normal P4 with a few trimmings while the Pentium M was designed from scratch as a mobile cpu so it's more suited to this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

I C ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭-ADREN-

ok so no one knows really what laptop I should be going for, and know one knows where to get a laptop witha a Radeon M10 (9600) with 128ram from no :( ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 232 ✭✭red vex

www.pctorque.com
    tell us how u get on

Advertisement