Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need to find something out(for Dunnes people if there are any here!!)

• 27-09-2003 6:19pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭

Ok as with a lot of people going back to collage they also go work in a part time job. For the last two years i have been doing this in dunnes. Working for the collage year and then going off and doing other things in the summer

ill probably going back in the next week but i have a problem

See one summer i stayed with them and by doing that my wage went up to the second scale( dunnes have a five point wage scale)

Thats all good but when i left to go to the states I went back on the understanding that i would be on that rate i left in as has been the way for years (It makes sense as they have the experince and dont need any more training and stuff) but they said no that they brought in a rule (only 2 weeks before that) saying that this is no longer the case and it comes from head office and thats the end of it

however that i think is bull**** as someone that very week came back on the higher rate that she left and someone i know went to another dunnes (as he was really pissed off he was there 5 years and had a kid to support) and he got his rate restored to what it was

See the dunnes that I worked in spent loads of money refurbishing it and they went well over budget on that so this was a handy money saver for them

The union for dunnes is MANDATE and i might give them a ring to see if this new rule is true or not but not sure do they have anything to do with this or not??

Im not talking 10 cent here between the starting rate and my rate im talking 1.40 an hour of a difference (2.10 on sunday). A full week and your talking almost 60 euro of a difference so it is a lot for a student like me!!

so my questin to ye is that is it legal??
    and does this special rule only apply to my cheapskate dunnes or is it across the board

should I contact head office and ask them about this( i have a feeling they will tell me F off)

does anybody else have this experience??

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Borzoi

Doubt you have a leg to stand on, unless you had a formal (ie written) offer of the job back after you returned from the states.

Otherwise you have effectively ceased to be an employee, so when you returned you start at the lower rate.

I'd imagine though, with reasonably friendly manager, they might be abla to put you back up to the old rate fairly sharpish if they were so inclined.:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

I agree, from past experiences, you have not got a hope.... You ended your employment with them and you are effectively starting off fresh... the story they told you is obviously just to shut you up.

Big companies like Dunnes are not likely to cut someones hourly rate to recover money from an over budget refit....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

I don't know about dunnes but me and a couple of other people had a similar problem with Tesco.

With us it depended on how you left whether you got put back up. If you asked for a certain amount of time off first and they said no, you might have a chance of getting put back up.

I just left so I lost all my extras when I went back, but my friend asked for a 6 weeks off for college and when the said no he left. He came back after the six weeks and took it up with the union. They got him put back up to the higher rate of pay.

The union for tesco is MANDATE aswell. Hope it helps.

Advertisement