Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stupid cat

• 27-09-2003 7:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭

My cat keeps on scratching the carpet, she knows she is not supposed to, but when she is caught in the act she justs runs off. We are looking after a dog at the moment and the cat does`nt like the dog but the dog is going to be here for a while so nothing can be done about that.
    I`ve heard that if a cat is scratching it means its well, but its f*cking irratating. So I was wondering if any one would know any thing that can be done to stop the cat scratching. Declawing is not an option because certain members of the family would bitch. And giving her a sharp slap when caught in the act does`nt work.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

spray some lemon juice on the carpet is teh winnar iirc...
    never bothered to try it myself tho (my ****ing stupid cat scratches the arm of the sofa every day)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

You can buy these scratching posts for cats. They're basically a piece of wood with carpet strapped onto it.

Our cats loved em. Stopped them mangling the couch aswell in our house anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭doctor evil

Thank you for your suggestions. probaly try the lemon juice. I have a feeling she would probaly turn her nose up at a scratching post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 474 ✭✭Berger

The scratching post did work for my cat. it used to take lumps out of my couch. But it still does it the odd time. I would try spraying the lemon juice but that might not be the best option for a couch :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,890 ✭✭✭embee

Our cat nearly got her marching orders when she tried to sink her talons into the new leather couch.

NO, Boosh, no.

My mam sat down and tried to reason with the cat.

The cat looked back at her as if to say...... "Cop yourself on, woman".

Now its like a battle of wills to keep the cat out of the living room.

Dad rumbled her once pulling out of the couch and started shouting at her and chasing her around the house.

So.... she dashed upstairs as quick as lightning and did what any self-respecting cat would do after such a scare - she took her revenge. She pooed in his runner.

Shes the boss of the house. Its a bit ridiculous.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,537 ✭✭✭joseph brand

my cat 'Tracy', is a 'TALONted' animal, able to scratch wallpaper off walls and skin off arms.

Had to nail piece of carpet to wall to save bit of paper that was left. She turned her nose up and headed for new carpet in the landin, what a B**ch!

embee
    She pooed in his runner.

Very cunning like that, one of my other cats,(marmalade Tom) Jasper, did a vile runny pooh on my Dads pillow after my Da kicked him and told him to 'GIT OOOUUUT'!!".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Water gun filled with lemon juice.

Or water, if you like cats.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

We dont even have a cat.

All the neigbours cats seem to poo just outside our front door.

They also climb in the back and sit on top of Guinea Pig run fantisizing about "Lunch". And eat the sparrows sitting on the 7ft wall waiting for a turn at the bird table.

Not many sparrows left now.

I have considered a cattle fence along the top of the walls but wife worried some young vandal, goth or hun might get a heart attack (or fall of wall and break neck).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,219 ✭✭✭Falkorre

The best option truly is a scratching post, spray it with catnip spray (Tescos sell it) and she will definitely use it. And hopefully not ur carpet.
    Its unlikely shes doing it out of spite btw, it is a natural behaviour for a cat, they do it to shed or sharpen their claws. And yes, declawing is a cruel process that is not fair on the cat!

B

• Closed Accounts Posts: 495 ✭✭Beëlzebooze

I don't think spraying lemon juice on the carpet is a great idea, as the sugars in the juice will make it sticky, and it will attract more dirt. Pepper is a great cat deterrant though. Just sprinkle a little on the scrathing area, and the cat will avoid it.

on the other hand, as mentioned, the cat scratches to get rid of it's old nail husks, revealing new sharp nails underneath (kinda like a snake shedding it's skin) , but they also leave scents behind, that is why a cat will return to the same place over and over.

The only remedy is to discourage the cat to use one place, and to encourage it to use a place designated by you. (i.e. the catnip suggested by DT)

and I must agree with everyone, de-clawing a cat should NEVER be considered, you will maim the cat, and severely traumatise it. Rehoming the cat or even having it put down should be preffered above declawing, (yes even by the cat!!!!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 273 ✭✭electrofelix

Orange peel is another good deterent. My cat used to for better words like to take a dump in some of the flower pots indoors. After showing we were cross with her the first once or twice, we started holding onto peelings from satsuma's and manderines and spread those about in the flower pots. She quickly decided to make full use of the litter tray and the flower beds outside :)

definitely less sticky than juice and it won't make you sneeze either.

Advertisement