Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Regarding Qamex. (please read)

Options
  • 14-06-1999 8:42pm
    Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Some of you may be aware that Qamex is expanding.

That isnt quite the correct term.

A lot of very interesting things have been going on in the last 6 months and this is the post to clue you all in on this side of things.

http://www.qamex.com is now live.

This is a large and official venture between a number of interested parties.
    This site will grow and evolve not only for FPS games but RTS, RPG and Console games too.
    Think Planet*.com for Ireland.

We have incorporated Qamex LTD with 6 directors (listed below) and have an official agreement with IOL for bandwidth and servers.
    These are paid for by the advertsing on the site (which explains the ads and where the money goes). It's important that we start to pay for server maintenance and connectivity not because the current servers are poor in anyway, but without such legal agreements in place servers can be retracted without notice or not maintained for days (ask Slosh and Cloud about getting help from ISPs).

We will be testing servers over the next few days and hope to release them to the public soon.

The team behind this is (in no order)
    Vexorg
    DeVore
    Ronin
    Suds
    Greenbean
    Regi

F.A.Q.:

Q: So this is in competition to Quake.ie and the IGN?

A: I dont see it that way. It's an unfortunate trait of the irish that they see business in the manner of "For me to win the other guy must lose".

We hope to cover different areas with different stresses. For example, since quake is well served now with servers, there is no need for more quake1 servers, and we wont be supplying them. Quake3 (since its a hog on the server) will be a different story, but we will (I hope) agree between us who covers which mods.

Q: Why didnt you throw your lot in with the IGN and help them.

A: When this started (a good few months ago) the IGN looked all but dead. Its back and I am genuinely glad that they are more active but I dont think you can operate without a limited company and a legal agreement. Eddie has his own ideas and is a resourceful guy. If anything I would see the future being rosy for the IGN when Indigo and Tinet feel the heat around the corner. If Eddie has any sense he'll be using Qamex for leverage.

Q: Whats new, its just another portal/news site.

A: We will be covering a larger area then anything previously seen in Ireland. There are communities out there playing lots of various games that just need somewhere to link up.

We have servers totally under our control and formal agreements with distribution houses to get games before release for reviewing (yes we will be reviewing new games of all descriptions)

Q: So whats the future hold?

A: We are going to be releasing ladder systems to support RTS games (and duels etc).
    Servers for the latest games (AVP, HL-TFC, EverQuest, TA etc).
    Servers come online within the next week, Ladder systems soon after that.

Ask questions below and I'll try to answer them.

Thats it from me as offical spokesperson etc.

On a personal note, this is why I cant continue as Team.ie Manager for much longer without a vote where everyone knows my allegiance. Team.ie will remain with Tinet and IGN for as long as they are willing to support my plans. I promised that to myself before starting into this. However, should Tinet refuse to support us, (and I mean financially here rather then servers or connections) then I would have to look elsewhere and I would be suggesting to the other Qamex directors to give it serious consideration. That was always the understanding I was working on and I dont think a whole lot has changed.

Lastly, wish us luck guys!
    Roughly it breaks down like this:

DeVore, Regi: ASP coding and PC games.
    VExorg: Consoles
    Suds: Admin and Marketing
    Ronin ,GB: News

DeVore.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Ronin

just to bring it up wink.gif..again..

re clouds post, someone said I shoulda had a colour too smile.gif..hehe, you could be white cloud wink.gif

Ro
    ronin@qamex.com
    www.qamex.com

[This message has been edited by Ronin (edited 14-06-99).]

• Registered Users Posts: 5,049 ✭✭✭Cloud

Best of luck with QameX lads, good to see it getting it's own domain, and perhaps a general announcement on Redwood/Blue/Scary would be good too.

So Greenbean joins the color news men. I think I'll change my name to Yellow Magic Orchestrator wink.gif

John.
    --

• Closed Accounts Posts: 344 ✭✭shank

Nice one lads, looks really good.

bstep@tinet.ie
    news.quake.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 Eddie Rocket

Best of luck lads :-) Great Site!!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Nice. smile.gif Cloud boards as "Hardware"?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 745 ✭✭✭SeP

wan

looks kewliez
    if u need any help...i doubt ud ask me but hey im always around smile.gif (well ill be back)

ughh exams...

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 2,518 ✭✭✭Hecate

mad site lads...great job. We need this sort of thing smile.gif

I was expecting so much from this site after i saw an early version several months ago that just blew me away in terms of content, and boy has it delivered.

f3ckit i wanna work there smile.gif

need and old newshound?...experience; ran Warmachine q2 news site during summer 98, and worked (sort of) on q2n from jan 99 to the present. Mabye for the tribes stuff?

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭Carnate

nice boyz.....

bout time we had some more official irish sites...

free advertising i hope smile.gif

Anon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 422 ✭✭adra

ya lads very very nicely done smile.gif
    congrats and all the best with it

um Carn one question........
    why do u sign ure posts "Anon"?...coz ure names there <

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

played ladz,

Dev, you could not be clearer.....
    IMHO fuk anyone who has a problem, it is clear 99.9% of the irish quake(and indeed all irish games communitys) are behind you.

viva la revolution,

Now with IGN getting up and running properly again we'll all have a nice little battle smile.gif

The Vaggabond of the Western World
    Electric Mayhem
    www.planet-tribes.com/em
    www.tribesplayers.co.uk

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Jaden

Groovy. The man has my vote. smile.gif

Well done lads. smile.gif

PS - Will you be able to afford a spell-checker for Ro? smile.gif

Hail To The King, Baby.

Jaden.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

There really isnt the much to compete about.
    You'll notice we dont have messageboard because we link to Clouds, we have quake.ie links all over the place and we report new IGN servers as they come online.

Ireland pays more per capita on board and computer games then just about any other country believe it or not.

DeV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭Vorosha

Please, please, please, let me re-design some of that site!

http://www.iol.ie/~mountain/cv/

Please?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

The site looks really hot guys! Glad to see the other areas getting a look-in aswell!

/me raises his glass

To Qamex *slurp* tongue.gif

All the best,

Dav
    @B^)
    homepage.tinet.ie/~davitt

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭Slosh

Congrats guys, best of luck !

Alan Dev knows what it means, so I`ll let him answer wink.gif..

Jaden, the spell checker was why we where delayed smile.gif. Couldn`t get a good enough one for me like wink.gif

Ro.
    http://www.qamex.com

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Alan

Looks sweet. Nice one.

But (again) WTF does QameX actually mean ? smile.gif

Alan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 411 ✭✭Jay

impressive

• Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭Suds

So you know, we may need some more game server testing over next week if anyones interested...

• Advertisement

Sure, ah I'm off to the UK/US - doh!

What kind of servers are QameX bringing us then?

J.
    --

thinking about chess, go and tetrinet for starts...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Jaden

lol Ro, Does it have an in-context grammer checker too?

smile.gif

Hail To The King, Baby.

Jaden

• Registered Users Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

suds

We tribers will try to knock the **** outa the servers this weekend.

16 players 2 hour EM action smile.gif (sounds like a sun headline cheeky.gif)

do you have a list of the servers u do anywhere?

The Vaggabond of the Western World
    Electric Mayhem
    www.planet-tribes.com/em
    www.tribesplayers.co.uk

Jaden,

they found that that was too hard to do, so they make me spell check everythihng b4 I go near the database smile.gif..hhehe

a well..

Ro
    ronin@qamex.com

Did suds use invisible ink there or something? Tribes server?

J.
    --

He is kinda forget-full John smile.gif..

he forgets to tell us what servers we`ll have..

Ro.

Ro
    ronin@qamex.com

I meant in addition to the tribes servers

Seee ?

Not really... A full list would be helpful so we can see if there's any overlaps with existing IGN services!

Ta.

• Advertisement

What was tested (to check loading ping lag - none of which have any effect when we have a 10 mb pipe)

Games tested Sin, Shogo, Hl, hltfc, q3a, Unreal (2 mods tested), daikatana, tribes,

Then IGN put up sin, unreal, shogo and daikatana servers so thats canned.

Looking at chess, bridge, go, backgammon and poker.

Advertisement