Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New forum?

Options
  • 28-09-2003 1:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,946 ✭✭✭

I just aquired an xbox and i was patroling the games boards in search of a board suitable to post some questions when i noticed there was no boards suitable to post on...

So, i would think that i am not the only person to have an xbox, playstation, playstation2, gamecube or even atari jaguar!

hows about a 'console' board?

Cheers
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Ignoring the forum suggestion for the minute, there have been quite a few console questions/discussions in the Games forum so you could post your questions there.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,946 ✭✭✭red_ice

fair enough, there is a board for general games..but there seems to be no board for consoles and console games only! There are online games that have their own colums, but i think there is a lil console community out there that wouldnt mind their own board!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 221 ✭✭R_Tribesman

Yeh, i totally agree, i've got a ps2 and maybe an xbox on the way. Point takin about the games forum, but 'games forum' is pretty vague. Considering that some games are so big they need their own forum its probably not right to have just to have a 'games' forum for every platform.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭sionnach

i think a console board is a good idea, especially seein as they're makin their way into online play. Im not a console gamer myself, but they shud b treated just as well as pc gamers :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭Shinji

Er, the Games board doesn't say "PC Games", it says "Games". We've had PC and console discussions there living happily side by side ever since the board was started up - and given the huge number of cross-platform games these days, I don't see any good reason to split that up, as for the majority of people it'd just mean they have to visit two boards in order to find the same information as they could previously find on one.

• Advertisement
  • Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Games *is* getting kinda busy though. This could be a good way to split it and keep the thread-flow manageable.

I read games every week or so and theres about 30 threads to get through.

DeV.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Also with xbox live and online console gaming (which I'm kinda getting into) it might also explode that direction. I personally know a good 20 people who play halo on a lan on xboxen every month.

I cant think of another way to split games ***... and I think its getting to the splitting stage.

DeV.

Actually looking at the Games section its very long.

We might want to think about a higher level division too...

like 3-4 big definitions it ">>" beside them.
    Ala Sci/Tech....
    Thoughts anyone?

DeV

• Registered Users Posts: 2,519 ✭✭✭patch

Why don't you make a section for consoles Q+A then?
    I quite like games the way it is now, a nice broad area of info.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭Praetorian

Two sections would be ideal. Games (pc) and Console Games.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

*Shudders*

What about all the other types of games?

If it's getting crowded an entirely new structure might be ideal. Like what was done for Sci/Tech .

Also with xbox live and online console gaming (which I'm kinda getting into) it might also explode that direction

Well, if it does, then there's obviously grounds for creating a forum specifically for Xbox Live and/or PS2 Online discussion. Actually, that might not be a bad idea - lets people swap GamerTags and discuss network issues and so on without flooding the general games discussion board with it.

I'm strongly opposed to the idea of splitting up PC Games and Console Games into separate forums, however. You say 30 threads a week as though this was some kind of unmanageable size of a forum; that still represents less than six threads a day being created (assuming quieter weekends). Any smaller than that and you end up with two far smaller and less useful boards.

I guess there's a fairly major difference of opinion here over how well the whole board splitting thing works, though. Personally I think the new Sci/Tech tree is utterly shit and have completely stopped using any of the boards in it, which I would previously have casually browsed through once every couple of days - so obviously enough I'd prefer not to see the same happening to the Games section, as it would put me off using that area as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

As usual on these matters, I agree with Shinji's viewpoint. Games is busy, but easily managed. Most gamers tend to play both pc and at least one console. An increasing number of console games end up on the pc and visa versa. Also I think it'd ruin the "vibe" as it were on the Games forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

How about a Games forum and a seperate Fanboy forum? Nah? Didn't think so...

I personally think it would be best to leave it as it is for a while longer and see what happens.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,307 ✭✭✭richindub2

r_tribesman and red_ice for mods and it gets my vote!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,093 ✭✭✭woosaysdan

and maybe somewhere for game cheats or a game cheats forum???

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

Originally posted by woosaysdan
    and maybe somewhere for game cheats or a game cheats forum???
    I don't think there is enough traffic in the games forum to warrant a cheats forum. Splitting up the forum is a bad idea in my opinion even if it is consoles/pc divison. leave it as it is. the mods are doing a decent job with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,093 ✭✭✭woosaysdan

Originally posted by Rabies
    I don't think there is enough traffic in the games forum to warrant a cheats forum. Splitting up the forum is a bad idea in my opinion even if it is consoles/pc divison. leave it as it is. the mods are doing a decent job with it.
    you'd be surprised

• Registered Users Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

If you were to split the Games board as suggested then what would become of the various interesting discussions on boardgames? I realise you could create a Boardgames board but its unlikely to get the traffic that any interesting threads would ever take place.

Two of the best threads on the board in recent times were about Risk and Go if I'm not mistaken.

Also it's pretty obvious form the titles of threads which ones are of interest and which aren't so I don't think it's a big job for any user to get what they're looking for out of the board as it stands.

you'd be surprised

Wow, good point!

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Well i'm swayed...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

Personally, I'm shocked we didn't think of that before.

Advertisement