Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pocket Pc Help

• 28-09-2003 2:02am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 669 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I just got a Viewsonic V35 pocket pc runing ppc 2002 premium,

Im wondering how I can get on the net with it? I have a nokia 6310i phone and I was wondering if I could use the phone to
    connect to GPRS and then use my pocket pc to connect to the fone via Infrared and browse the net using the pocket Explorer on the V35?

Any advice would be sound,

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭flywheel

hi - it's possible (bar ReadyToGo currently) - can you say which operator you are on and if you are pre-pay or post-pay (billed monthly)?

BrianG

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 932 ✭✭✭lotas

*99# is the number. check out this link (http://blog.lotas-smartman.net/archives/000620.php). i have links there about it. used it on my Sony Clie and my nokia 7650. should be fairly simular. if you are on ready to go, GPRS wont work as DubWireless said, but you can use your normal ISP (eircom, etc) and it should work. hope this helps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 919 ✭✭✭timeout

If its got built in bluetooth you can do it alot more easily. Bluetooth will be alot easier then infrared. no need for a direct line of sight.

yea bluetooth is quite handy. im getting one of those dell axim X5's with the bluetooth addon and i have a nokia 7650! wahoo! mobile office here i come!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 669 ✭✭✭A+-Guru

Thanks for your replys,

Im on vodafone and im a bill paying customer,

I dont have bluetooth,

and one more question what essential software shud I get?

Thanks in advance,

Ronan,

• Advertisement

vodafone have a peice of software called connect me. its available for the wince, palm and windows 98+. i think it should work with pocket pc2002. the links is here (http://www.vodafone.ie/workonthemove/connectme/index.jsp?site=business). hope this helps. PS. its not just for business. i got it working on my standard bill phone. also works with IR, bluetooth or cable.

Originally posted by A+-Guru

Im on vodafone and im a bill paying customer,

personally i didn't like Voda's customisation of that software (by Alice Systems) - particularly auto loading the full blown vodafone.ie website (eating GPRS packets) - it also takes up some space on the PDA (something you need as much as possible on some Pocket PC Devices) - and it runs in it's update checking in the background on the PC once installed

as you say, unfortunatley the V35 can't do bluetooth (not internal, no CF expansion and the SD slot isn't SDIO) - so infrared is your only option - but it will work grand when pointed at each other

if you want to take a couple of minutes you can set it up pretty quick on the Pocket PC entering a couple of settings - if you want the manual steps post back and i'll throw them up - it's about as simple as setting up a dial-up networking connection on windows - one for GPRS the other for HSCSD - otherwise go with the Voda software

as for must have aps:

when using GPRS a data counter can be a good investment to keep tack of your usage (and an costings for connections with the PDA)
    SPB Software make a good one, or just use the GPRS Data counter on the phone (remembering to reset it at each billing cycle though)

there is a great (free) IRC client from SmartSoft called PocketChat (you want the ARM version)

Using this website for PDA friendly sites - much better web experience than on full websites (lighter in data and better designed for PDAs)
    http://pdaportal.us

also set your email to download only headers or the first X KB of each mail (important on a GPRS connection)

if you are planning to use more than a few (1 or 2) megabytes of GPRS data look at how Vodafone's GPRS 3 [link] package might provide you with better costings

hth,
    BrianG

thanks for that informative reply Dubwirelesss,

If you could post up manual instructions on how to setup the GPRS for vodafone please, I tried looking up on the vodafone site but I cant find anything about it,Im not going to install the connect me software,as you said space is everything and I only have 64 MB at the moment,

As for the software hints, cheers,

64mb?! thats loads! anyway, im not 100% sure about the 6310i, but the 7650 has an option to say what you want your GPRS connection to be. you should have your standard connections (vodafone isp, vodafone live, mms, etc) and then this should be empty. mine says grps connection. connect anytime and then the access point is empty. i had it working before by entering isp.vodafone.ie, username vodafone, password vodafone and then thats it. when the phone was told to connect to *99# it automaticly knew to go to the vodafone ISP. this should work for you.

Thanks for your reply lotas,

ill try this combo when I get home,

Cheers,

• Advertisement

had to wait to get to the PC to pull out these steps - so here you go

first please make sure you are set-up at Vodafone's side with both High Speed Data (HSCSD) and their ISP GPRS service (isp.vodafone.ie access point) - these may need to be "switched" on for you account by Vodafone if not already done so

as lotas said you can configure a default GPRS connection on the handset itself, although it's done differently between some of their handsets (particulalry the Series 60 Symbian based handsets)

you can just send a special command to the phone to initialise the modem before you start the connection (it's called an init string)

GPRS and HSCSD connections outlined in the next posts...

ok so for a GPRS connection from the Pocket PC:

Start, Settings
    Connections Tab (at bottom)
    Connections Icon

Set up a mobile (locationless) dial config, to make sure the dial number is clean when sent to the mobile:
    Tap: Dialing Locations Tab (at bottom)
    Tap: New...
    Type in: Mobile
    Clear Area code box
    Clear Country code box
    Tap: Dialing Patterns...
    Leave only a G in each text box
    Tap: OK (at top)

Now create the GPRS configuration:
    Tap: Connections Tab (At bottom)
    Tap: Modify... (under Internet Settings)
    Type: Voda ISP GPRS (or any unique label for connection)
    Select Modem: Generic IrDA modem
    Baud rate: 57600
    Advanced settings defaults are OK
    Tap: Next
    Country code: Leave Blank
    Area code: Leave Blank
    Phone Number: *99#

Keep defaults:
    Check: Cancel if not connected with 120 sec
    UnCheck: Wait for dial tone before dialing
    Leave: Wait for credit card tone 0 seconds

Now you need to enter into the Extra dial-string modem commands:
    +CGDCONT=1,"IP","isp.vodafone.ie"

Tap: Finish

You are brought back to the connection list. Try the connection by:

Tap and Hold: the Voda ISP GPRS (or label you used for connection)
    Tap: Connect

Enter the username and password
    User name: vodafone
    Password: vodafone
    Check the Save Password box if you wish.

Activate InfraRed on the 6310i
    Point the top towards the IR port on the V35

Tap OK on the Pocket PC Screen

You should see the display of the 6310i show it is creatign a GPRS connection, once connected a G symbol should appear in the top left of the screen.

Try connecting to a website such as http://pda.ananova.com

To disconnect you tap the connection icon (to the left of the clock) at the top of the Pocket, and choose disconnect.

You can easily set this as the default way to connect, by tapping the Connection name in the Connections listing and selecting Always Dial, at the bottom of the screen the default connection will be shown. Saying When dialing: Use default connection name

to create the HSCSD configuration:

Start, Settings
    Connections Tab (at bottom)
    Connections Icon

In the connections screen:
    Tap: Connections Tab (At bottom)
    Tap: Modify... (under Internet Settings)
    Type: Voda ISP HSCSD (or any unique label for connection)
    Select Modem: Generic IrDA modem
    Baud rate: 57600
    Advanced settings defaults are OK
    Country code: Leave Blank
    Area code: Leave Blank
    Phone Number: +353876202222

Keep defaults:
    Check: Cancel if not connected with 120 sec
    UnCheck: Wait for dial tone before dialing
    Leave: Wait for credit card tone 0 seconds

Now you need to enter into the Extra dial-string modem commands:
    +CBST=81,0,1;+CHSN=6,3,0,8

Tap: Finish

You are brought back to the connection list. Try the connection by:

Tap and Hold: the Voda ISP HSCSD (or label you used for connection)
    Tap: Connect

Enter the username and password
    User name: vodafone
    Password: vodafone
    Check the Save Password box if you wish.

Activate InfraRed on the 6310i
    Point the top towards the IR port on the V35

Tap OK on the Pocket PC Screen

You should see the display of the 6310i show it dialing the number +353876202222, you should then see the text D Call on the display to signify a data call in place.

Try connecting to a website such as http://pda.ananova.com

To disconnect you tap the connection icon (to the left of the clock) at the top of the Pocket, and choose disconnect.

You can easily set this as the default way to connect, by tapping the Connection name in the Connections listing and selecting Always Dial, at the bottom of the screen the default connection will be shown. Saying When dialing: Use default connection name

thanks DubWireless! im getting my axim X5 soon with the bluetooth so hopefully it wont be too hard to get these settings working with the X5 and bleutooth! Thanks again!

no worries :)

there will be a different connection manager on your Axim X5 as Dell are now shipping it with the Windows Mobile for Pocket PC 2003 (rather than the Pocket PC 2002 used on the Viewsonic V35)

setting up the connection has been improved in the new OS also with a more Wizard style approach, it's easy enough with Bluetooth just a few steps more steps to prepare the Bluetooth Connection: pairing the PDA and Phone, ensuring the Phone is set as the default for any Bluetooth DUN connections and setting to connection to work over the Bluetooth Modem

hth,
    BrianG

i likes easy i does! :P thanks.

Wow...thats a very helpful reply dubwireless :p

I got it working :D its pretty cool,

would you mind explaining the HSCSD? is that more expensive than GPRS?

Cheers,

hscsd can be more expencive, but also cheaper. depends on how you use it. GPRS is charged per KB. HSCSD is chared per minute. its charged at the same charge as Voda-Voda call. its only on Vodafone now, O2 dont support it. anyway, your connecting at 43.2kbits/s, and charged, on my tarrif anyway, something like 13c a min. now. for me its handy. if i want to post a picture to my mob blog (http://lsmartman.textamerica.com shamless self promo!) i send it though HSCSD cause it will cost me 13c, but would cost 15 - 25c though GPRS. i keep my 3mb GPRS tarif for surfing the web on my phone as its cheaper. depends on what you want it for. if your downloading large files or email or something, HSCSD may be better then if you reading news and dont know how long you will be on for, and then GPRS works cool for that.

that's a great explanation - i use a variation of these paragraphs (taken from a previous post) to try and highlight the differences for anyone beginning to using data services on Voda

Each type of connection has it's ups and downs ;)

Packet Based GPRS connections are perfect for light email (particulalry with header selection/filtering), WAP, PDA (friendly) web surfing (text low graphics), instant messaging and the like - anything you can do on the web that isn't heavy bandwidth - and any application that a long connection would be required. The thing to keep in your mind is everything i do over the connection (amount of data used e.g. web pages viewed; emails sent/received etc.) is costing me money (outside any inclusive data package) - it is also kinder to the phones battery and can be better for session interruption for sms / incoming calls than with a CSD connection (depending on the handset).

Circuit Switched HSCSD/CSD conections are better for full email including downloads, full web browsing, some streaming, anything you need to do that may require a heavier bandwidth -and situations where extended connections aren't required. The thing to keep in you mind is every second is costing me money (outside any inclusive minutes) - it is also harder on the battery and you will have it drain much faster as it has to maintain a constant dedicated circuit while the conneciton is going

hth,
    BrianG

Advertisement