Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DVD Software

Options
  • 28-09-2003 11:02am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 598 ✭✭✭

Hey
    I reformatted my computer, and have lost my PowerDVD software. When I went to play a DVD using Media Player, I was told I needed to get a software renderer plugin to play the DVD's. Where can I get these? And if they use Dolby sound, they will cost obviously?
    Any help appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭Ancient1

maybe you can find something on www.dvdrhelp.com , even though its more of a "how-to" site, but give it a try anyways, tons of good info.

oh and keep in mind that you wouldnt be able to watch copy-protected dvds anyways (check for small sign sayin cp)
    I tried tons of stuff and nothing worked until i realized its copy protected stuff that i cant watch. All other non-protected or older dvds work fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 598 ✭✭✭IronMan

So what you are saying is that if I was to buy a cable to hook TV to Laptop to play DVD's I wouldn't be able to do so, because of copyright protection.
    That fukin stinks.

That seems to be the case - sorry to disappoint you!

I bought (not rented) a couple of dvd's and i watch them on my pc no problem. But if i rent dvds there are certain ones that will not play, and i dont think that you'll find a codec to help you there. Copy protected, yup.
    Check the back of the case - there's a small triangle yoke with cp in it - you can forget about them. It's not even a matter of regions, i dont think.
    I certainly hope that someone can prove me wrong - but this is still the case :(

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭Jam

I think that CP stuff is called Macrovision, i'm sure you could remove it if you were to rip it to hdd first (have 6gb free?). Seeing how DVDs are readonly and all.

Edit: And get a real media player like VideoLAN.

• Advertisement

Maybe - that could be a possibility, havent tried that yet.
    But it so damn inconvenient when you just want to veg and watch something...

• Registered Users Posts: 26,579 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

you just need a dvd codec they can be found by using the trusty tool of a internet user here

i installed PowerDVD, RegionFree, new codecs, the whole lot...i still cant view some dvds - i gave up basically...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭joc_06

lads whats goin on here. Every dvd made under the sun can be watched on every dvd-rom made under the sun.

All you need to do is install a dvd codec or even player like win dvd or power dvd or - theres millions- well over 10 anyway

(Almost) All dvds are encrypted. Didnt ye ever hear of that 16 year old hacker in court a few years back for cracking the encryption code- css- usin keys he got from zing player

macrovision is the protection on vhs tapes etc.
    Css is the one on dvds.

The reason that certain dvds wont play is cas they r scratched or durty - plain and simple.
    I bet the problem is that the laser in your dvd rom is a bit weak and that even the slightest imperfection causes it not to play.

i dunno dude,
    like i said, i RENTED a few dvds to try it out (rented meaning imperfect...). I can play older dvds as well, but nothing that's been recently released unless it doesnt have the cp sign.

• Advertisement

Originally posted by Ancient1
    i dunno dude,
    like i said, i RENTED a few dvds to try it out (rented meaning imperfect...). I can play older dvds as well, but nothing that's been recently released unless it doesnt have the cp sign.

Rented doesnt mean imperfect- what do u mean by this?

I've never in my 4 odd years of backin up dvds, vcds, divx, xvid etc
    seen a cp sign- where is it? on what program??
    All dvds have css but i aint neva seen cp!!

no, no, we're talkin past each other.
    It's not on a programme - i meant to say i cannot watch any dvds that are copy-protected on my pc.
    There's a cp (copy protected) sign either on the dvd itself or on the cover, and those are the ones i avoid..

By rented = imperfect, never mind, i misunderstood (
    they r scratched or durty
    )

i have never heard of a dvd rom that wouldnt play dvds css or not. You must have done something wrong software wise. try another dvd codec. other than that i really dont know. sorry!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Originally posted by joc_06
    macrovision is the protection on vhs tapes etc.
    Css is the one on dvds.
    Macrovision also lives on most DVDs (in addition to region encoding). Notably not Harry Potter, though it's still CSS encoded.

Advertisement