Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wireless Networking and Win98

• 28-09-2003 11:11am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭

I'm having problems with my wireless network. I'm using a linksys ADSL router, with a wireless NIC installed. I've got 2 pcs connecting to it, one with Windows XP and the other with Windows 98. On the windows XP PC everything runs fine. On the windows 98 PC, there were some problems, but I was still able to get a decent connection, most of the time. However, about a week ago, the Windows 98 PC lost the ability to connect to the internet through the router, and I have absolutely no idea what's causing this. I noticed a few other odd things as well, for example when I connect to the wireless network, the router is supposed to assign an IP address to each machine. The router is 192.168.1.1, and the machines start at 192.168.1.100, then go up by one each time, so the second pc should be 192.168.1.101, etc. However, when the connection stopped working, I noticed that the address the Windows 98 PC was being assigned was 169.254.x.x, and the subnet mask being assigned was 255.255.0.0 instead of 255.255.255.0. I tried using the network properties to force an IP address of 192.168.1.101 (since the Windows XP PC is 192.168.1.100) and a subnet mask of 255.255.255.0 but it didn't work. Also, the Windows 98 PC now establishes a wireless connnection at 1mbps, even though the card and router are wireless-B, which should be getting 11mbps. It looks like there's a communications problem between the router and the card, but I've tried moving the router around the place and fiddling the antenna on the card and nothing has worked. Any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭liamo

The reason you can't connect to the Internet from the W98 PC is because of its IP address. Here's a link that should help with that....

http://www.artyjains.com/tips/BadAddresses.html

Try swapping the WiFi cards on the two Windows machines to establish whether or not the card in the Win98 PC is ok. Or moving the router closer to the Win98 PC temporarily to see if having line-of-sight makes a difference.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭Underscore

Yup, that registry fix plus shuffling the router around for an hour got it to work. Thanks.

Advertisement