Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

bizarre ADSL Modem and router conflict.

Options
  • 28-09-2003 11:46am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭

I'm tryign to connect my linsys 8 port router/switch (BEFSR81) to my newly acquired Netgear Single port adsl modem router (DM602) Right i connect them all up, the router see the modem, connects to the internet, gets an ip address and all that, yet i can't actually browse the net. It say website found and then nothing. I tried every type of cable i had, in case i wasn't connecting it right (cat 5 cross over between router an modem) nothing helped) the really bizarre thing though is that for some reason i can access MSN and Google but no other sites. Both of them have nat firewall protecting and i was wonderign if this might be the cause.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

dubble nat is the problem , NAT/fw on the router only and let it straight thru the modem. the return ports are probably fecked up royally in your config.

M

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

hmm nat forward, you mean like port forward? thing is i can set the modem/ router as jsut a modem, i would have thought this would fix things but it didn.t

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

Originally posted by Muck
    dubble nat is the problem , NAT/fw on the router only and let it straight thru the modem. the return ports are probably fecked up royally in your config.

M

Double NATing is fine there is a guy here on a wireless lan who is being routed once and NAT'd 3 times. NATing and routing are essentially the sdame thing with a bit of messin here and thwere with headers. It only casuses a problem if u want to come back the other way.

Your right though in the situation abouve there is no reason for double NATing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

maybe set internal address of modem to 192,168.0.1 and the router to 192.168.0.2 , tell machines behind router that the router is the gateway and tell the router to route via 192.168.0.1 to all destinations.

but its late

g'night!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭MadKevo

To clarify, are you already doing the following:

1. Netgear Single port adsl modem router (DM602) configured in bridging mode only (bridged ethernet or RFC1483 or whatever the newer RFC is); vpi8/vci35/llc-snap, with no routing, NA(P)T or anything turned on. Perhaps an IP address to manage it though... *

2. linsys 8 port router/switch (BEFSR81) configured as router (!) with PPPoE credentials entered here, DHCP set up for required range (different to network used in *) and an IP address on the linksys for management

That should be it, but I think you've done all that already...
    Ensure latest firmware installed on both devices, see manufacturers' websites for more.

HTH,
    /MK.

• Advertisement
Advertisement