Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Grindey Teeth- shut up shut up shut UP!

• 28-09-2003 12:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

I've been with my girlfriend 7 months now, and I love her and she me. Despite our crazy faults and shared insanities, despite it all- too loonies in love and it's perfect...well, almost perfect.

She has a well, lets say a rather boyant and bubbley personality.
    No let's not be subtle about it- she's a bit of a lunatic- which is fine more to the point it's sort of a requirement, but she never seems to shut down and her mind is even more actively erratic than my own. She's hyperactive and hypersensual and in need of constant attention. And that's ok too. Only, I'm working 7 days a week until quite late @ night, and well, I want to be able to sleep....no no no, before you go there no...just read.

See if I don't get to sleep I get rather grumpy.
    She's woken me up, or at least partially and 've ranted (as in she told me about it later but I don't remember as I was asleep but yes- it sounds like my internal dialogue sure enough) about killing her and such and smothering her with the pillow- which yes- were locked up in the vault of my mind at 4 in the morning while I listened to her grinding her teeth, whispering, babbling and making annoying baby-frog Gik! Gik! Gik! noises.

And yes what am I thinking? What am I thinking when night after night I'm lying there listing to grinding teeth and gik gik gik!?
    Do I think, oh well, nobody's perfect and I love her- gik!'s and all?
    No I bloody well do not. I think of removing her teeth with a pliers, I think of all manner of nasty **** because I can't sleep.

Now a friend of mine suggested getting her a gum shield- his girlfriend had the grindy-teeth thing and he gave her an ultimatum, "either you go to the dentist and get one or I'm gonna force you to wear one of those rugby jock yokes"
    So she complied. However I still ain't sure it's the best thing, she'll still be suseptible to headaches, and instead of a wince-worthy grindey teeth noise I'll be treated to a enraging symphony of rubber squeak squeak noises and a chorus of Gik! Gik!'s again. I mean- christ, I crash with my auld fella after he's hit the veno too much and he snores like a bastard. It's a sound like a Ferrari V10 changing up and down gear. It's not pleasant, but I can deal with it. This I can't.

Has anybody else ever had such a problem.
    More to the point has anybody got a solution that doesn't invole gumshields, pliers, wireing her jaw open or the lengthy exhaustive "of course I still love you's" when I sleep in another room?

Help me I'm in pain here!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 622 ✭✭✭ColinM

Ha ha, thanks for the good laugh there.
    Yeah - funny isn't it - girls are made of sugar and spice and all things nice, and yet they are capable of snoring like wild boars.

I think I remember hearing that drinking too much causes snoring, and I think also that having a pillow that is too high or too low can put the windpipe at an odd angle and restrict proper breathing too. Being overweight may be a factor too.

Well if any of these are the case, maybe you could try and find a remedy somewhere to counteract any of these. Ultimately though, I think you know that you are going to have to leave her.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,638 ✭✭✭bombidol

my old man grinded his teeth for years. he grinded em till they were ground down to tiny little stubs. now he has to wear a gumsheild in bed to save what little he has left

gar

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Osamity Sam

Colin:

It's nothing to do with snoring, everyone snores.
    Read it again- it's to do with grinding teeth and strange noises.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 622 ✭✭✭ColinM

Because you were woken at 4 in the morning by Gik! Gik! Gik! noises, I took this to mean that you were both asleep and that these were throat clearing noises made in between the cacophony of snorings and grinding of teeth that she does in her sleep.

If she's doing all this when awake, then surely it would be simpler to just tell her to stop doing this. I would have thought that it would be easier to get her to agree to just stop than convince her to wear a gumshield.

If she's doing this because she needs attention from you and telling her to cop on because it's 4am and she is not a child (unless she actually is) and that you are not her father (unless you actually are) does not work, then I know that if I was in your position either she or I would be gone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

I'm seriously considering moving a copy of this to the Creative Writing forum, what a great post!!

I'd go to a dentist and ask for the best solution. I can't remember - did you say that you have talked this through with her? If not then make a start on it.

I went out for a very short time with a grindy teeth girl but she did it when awake. It was quite off-putting. I'd be speaking with her and making jokes etc but she would be grinding her teeth so hard whales in the Atlantic could hear her callings. Or maybe she didn't like me...

Speak to her then go to the dentist?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭b3t4

There is a thread around here somewhere about this.

Your girlfriend probably doesnt realise that she is doing this while she is sleeping. So inform her. Also appeal to her vain side telling her that she is damaging her teeth and could possibly destroy her teeth. Leave a few pictures of old men and women that have no teeth around the place. That'll surely get her to get a gumsheild.

A.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

get a tape recorder.

failing that sleep elsewhere

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,986 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

How about something to help you sleep ?
    Or leave a radio off station at low volume - so the background noise level is higher, so the less chance of hearing the extra noise - if you can stand the hiss that is.

You could wake her, apologise, and try go get to sleep before she does.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Someone once said to me that grinding your teeth while you sleep can be A. Sign of insanity or B. Too much sugar(on the teeth causing such person to grind)

The insanity is what doctors say anyways...

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,555 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Hide her Es/speed/coke for a few weeks.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

Off the point but still:

What job do you have that demands you work 7 nights a week?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 719 ✭✭✭Fionn101

get drummers earplugs , then as your sleep pattern returns so will your ability to sleep,

Also send her to the dentist before she grinds her teeth away

hope it works out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,513 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

More likely it's the seven days a week your working that is the problem.

You could just pop a few aluminium cans in her mouth, or paper. With all this talk about recycling it seems rather a waste not to use her grinding gob for something.

Or you could use her teeth as a nail-clippers just don't put anything *else* in there while she's asleep. ouch.

Or smother her with a pillow. whatevers good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,738 ✭✭✭Barry Aldwell

Originally posted by b3t4
    Leave a few pictures of old men and women that have no teeth around the place.
    "The big book of British smiles"

Advertisement