Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Replace piezo speaker w/ real speaker

• 28-09-2003 12:14pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,147 ✭✭✭

Anyone know how to do this? Can I just replace the speaker part for part or do I need extra components?

It is what it's.

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,243 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

In what ?
    And why ?

If it is a PC then the onboard speaker is drives by on/off ie. not analog - also Piezo has a very high impedence - most speakers will be 8ohm which will appear to be a short circuit to the chip driving the speaker - so unless you are sure the output includes short circuit protection (eg speaker is in series with a capicatior - like in the older 486's that had speaker connnectors) Wouldn't recomend it.

So in short - if you have a 4 pin connector on the M/B for a speaker happy days - if you don't then you'd most likely need a buffer to protect the speaker driver line from Short circuit (and perhaps a freewheeling diode in there somewhere)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,147 ✭✭✭oneweb

In a PDA. The software can play music, but 'cos it's only a piezo speaker the sound isn't brilliant. Sounds like it'll do anyway. Thx ;)

It is what it's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,486 ✭✭✭Redshift

Does your PDA have an auxillary output like for headphones if so you might be able to do something with that, but as for changing out the piezzo for a speaker deffo not recomended, but maybe you might be able to to locate a better quality piezzo which might do the trick just make sure it compares to your existing one for impedance, voltage ect. Before you do anything ask yourself if it's woth the risk of ruining your PDA because those things aint cheap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,147 ✭✭✭oneweb

Originally posted by Redshift
    Does your PDA have an auxillary output like for headphones
    If it did, I wouldn't have asked ;)

I'll be leaving it alone :)

It is what it's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,486 ✭✭✭Redshift

Originally posted by oneweb
    If it did, I wouldn't have asked ;)

I was going to suggest installing a small speaker in the pda but soldering it onto the output for the earphone jack if one was available.

• Advertisement
Advertisement