Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Messenger Plus = SPYWARE CRAP

Options
  • 28-09-2003 2:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭

Hi

I couldnt find the thread where it suggested this as a useful add on for MSN Messenger. Ever since I installed this add on, I get random dialog box pop ups asking me do I want to play Poker online..

Tried uninstalling the add on but the problem still persists. I used the most recent version of Adaware but it didnt remove it either... Any suggestions..

The reason I was looking for the previous thread was that the person who suggested the add on was told by a poster that they installed the add on and experienced the problem with Poker pop ups... Damn whoever suggested it.. ban him for spreading spyware... assuming he done it on purpose :p ask questions later i say ;)

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,361 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

I've got messanger Plus installed and I'm not getting any pop-ups. No more than usual anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭Spunog UIE

i've recommended and will continue to recommend msger plus.

If people would pay attention when installing something they'd be a hell of a lot better off.

MSG Plus has a little tick box thats clearly shown and explained. And all you have to do is select that you don't want any ads as part of your install and BLAM you don't get them. Doesn't get any easier than that.

I get no ads what so ever, no pop ups, no nothing with msg plus.

The people that do are the people that do not click custom install or look at the options or read any of the information, and to those people i would say, put it back in the box and leave it the hell alone cos you too dumb to use it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭phaxx

^^

What he said. If you don't pay attention while you're installing something, you deserve everything you get.

If you uninstall msgplus, it'll take the adware with it. Then you can reinstall msgplus without it. Just don't do the drool and click "next" blindly thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Shame the spyware/ads have not been removed since I uninstalled it... Ah yeah, thanks for the "handy" hints :p

Get a copy of ad-aware then. www.lavasoft.de

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭moridin

Originally posted by Gideon
    i've recommended and will continue to recommend msger plus.

If people would pay attention when installing something they'd be a hell of a lot better off.

*snip*

The people that do are the people that do not click custom install or look at the options or read any of the information, and to those people i would say, put it back in the box and leave it the hell alone cos you too dumb to use it.

Damn straight. People I know installed Messenger Plus and had the *exact* same problems. When I did a quick office poll of the people in here it turns out that most just click on "standard install" the whole time... I couldn't believe it! Never, ever use standard install, ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Originally posted by phaxx
    Get a copy of ad-aware then. www.lavasoft.de

I know you are trying to help.. Did you actually read my initial post?
    . I used the most recent version of Adaware but it didnt remove it either... Any suggestions..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭Spunog UIE

try reinstall it then remove it once more. Then try spybot, gets a few things that adware misses.

Also when using either of the above make sure their definitions are updated, just cos you downloaded an .exe doesn't mean that they are, have to update them through the program etc'

Gid.]:)

Originally posted by jesus_thats_gre
    I know you are trying to help.. Did you actually read my initial post?

I did, just reread it too. What did I miss? You're looking for something to get rid of the popup stuff msnplus installed?

Hey Billy, you been stickin them thar forks in yer eyes again?

(jesus said he used ad-aware and it found nothing, and you told him to get ad-aware?)

• Advertisement

Huh, thats well hidden. Had to reread it a few times and then do a search in the page for "ad" before I found that sentence. Strange how the eyes just skip things...

Anyway, er, go and look on the msgplus forums, there are other people bitching about it there, I'm sure they've had the same problem as you.

Originally posted by phaxx
    Strange how the eyes just skip things...

It's the forks :D

Advertisement