Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Charlton vs Liverpool (contains scores etc)

• 28-09-2003 3:54pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,147 ✭✭✭

Well damn you Kevin Lisbey! Of all the time for him to score a topclass goal.

Liverpool defence were woeful for the first two goals that were conceeded as for the thirs not much anyone could have done. Kewell Hitting the post in the last seconds sums it all up really.

Taken a 1-0 lead after 15 minutes. Then go into suicide mode at the back. Having Dietmar back is vital, as our midfield just seems to go missing lately.

Oh well onto Arsenal :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Charlton3 liverpool 2

Good match ene to end stuff, Kevin Lisbie got a hatrick to put an end to the pools recent winning run.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,147 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

Oye mines better! :D

mods maybe merge the two threads please.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

Knew we'd lose this one, Charlton seem to be Liverpools new bogey team.

Oye mines better!

Scores the same in both so I,m well happy:D

Tried to delete mine actually but i dont seem to be able to.
    UM I wonder why?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

Liverpool played lots of possession football, but I really think Charlton had the best chances and Lisbie could have had more.

What agoal to win it though.

Liverpool need to sort defence and midfield out big time. I predict some spending in the January sales.

Did anyone else notice that most of Owens goals this season have been from the spot?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭Shred

Didn't see it but listened to it on LFC.TV. Did sound like a good game, Liverpool's defence was sh*te apparently according to Steve Hunter but each team seemed to have their share of chances.

Hatrick for Kevin Lisbie who couldn't hit a barn door prior to the game as stated by a Charlton fan.Charlton's first win at home in something like 9 games also:rolleyes:

Didn't see it but listened to it on LFC.TV.

ROFL.

The Pools defence were Poor to say the least, Lisbies 3rd goal in particular was top drawer. Heskey actually put the ball in the net
    but was unfortunatly a yard off side at the time. Kewell hit the post with a screamer in the extra time. Very Entertaining Game
    and not a lucky win for Charlton by any means. Liverpool just didnt get enough Pennos to turn things around:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

Quote:

Liverpool just didnt get enough Pennos to turn things around

Ouch !!!!:D

Tinky

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Twas a savage game if you supported neither team.. As for Liverpool, they defendly very poorly but were unlucky to loose the game. Hail the new attacking Liverpool I say... Charlton played really well and Lisbie's third goal was an excellent solo effort and topped of an excellent performace....

Kewell's effort at the end was deadly and was unlucky to not get something from it. There was a few suspect lack of decsions from the referee that effected both sides as well..

Shame we lost but its not as if we played well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Originally posted by PiE

Oh Look more bogey teams :D
      Arsenal Chelsea Man Utd Birmingham Southampton Man City Portsmouth Blackburn Fulham Aston Villa Middlesbrough Bolton Charlton Leicester City Everton Leeds United Tottenham Newcastle Wolves

:D

kdjac

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

dont forget ljubo or whatever nobodys there playing in the uefa cup, another bogey team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

GOOD CONTRIBUTION TO THE THREAD LADS!

:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I was kind of half-listening while doing other stuff and it sounded like Kewell was out of position ie free reign not left wing, they are going to have to keep him out wide (on the left!) let Smicer wander here and there....Need Henchoz back not to mention
    Hamman....

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

Merged.

Liverpool had chances and failed to take them, all told the result does not reflect the game, Liverpool were on top for a large portion of it but as Houllier said "let themselves down with silly mistakes". I have never seen the pool give away the ball so much in one game.

Still fair play to Charlton, perhaps Lisbie's hat-trick will quiet the boo boys who have been calling for him to leave the club..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Originally posted by PiE

Before this game, did Liverpool not beat Charlton in the previous 4 games or so?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭smuckers

saw the game Liverpool were all over Charlton for the first 20 mins lovely goal by Smicer great ball by Kewell then all of a sudden Charlton came to life a Hypia moment of madness allowed Parker to put the perfect ball through for lisbie to score then they picked up a notch from a corner Liverpool failed to clear and after his inital shot was parried Lisbie tapped into the net, Kewell was at times class for Pool some of his play was v good but other times not on the same wavelength at all with Diof.
    In the second half it was end to end but you felt Pool would open Charlton up they got a penno and Owen hit it home then for a while Liverpool picked it up a gear until a throw out from Kiely and Lisbie ran the length of the pitch I don't understand why the defence backed off he beat a few but then curled a beautiful shot past Dudek.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭p.pete

Originally posted by PiE
    What? we had won 7 of our last ten visits there:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭Space Coyote

Sami Hyypia had an absolute mare ! The defence in general is just all over the shop at times, they're no on the same wavelength at all. We passed the ball very well at times, Kewell and Diouf put in quite a few good crosses but there was nobody anticipating anything in the box. Heskey was like one of those 'tree-people' from The Two Towers ! Plodding around the place like a feckin eejit. Harry and El Hadji kept swapping sides, it's ok to try it but it makes them so easy to predict when they're on their 'wrong' sides of the pitch. Fair play to Lisbie, took his chances well. I think if Hamann and Henchoz were playing, Charlton would not have scored any of the goals they did. Terrible defending throughout the team.
    :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,392 ✭✭✭jonno

Well I didn't see any of the match at all. Was a bad result for Pool especially as they have seemed to attack more lately.

Anyway I think part of the problem is originating from all the attacking. As I mentioned some while ago what Liverpool need is two pacey 'quick' centre halves to allow them to attack more from the wingback positions. In order to allow wingbacks to attack you need the centre halves to push up more and be able to get back as well. As Skykeirl said there might be some spending in January - namely Boumsoug who is a pacey defender. As I said I didn't see the game (damn bus journeys) so I don't know where the defence was lacking but all I'm saying is they need 'pacier' centre halves. Hyypia and Boumsoung would be ideal IMHO.

Over and out for now.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Gwan the super Charlton. Wonder does big nose still think they can win the title! So much for turning the corner! :D:p
    Probably tired after playing the european super power during the week.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 393 ✭✭JaneyMackers

If Liverpool are going toplay that kind of football and I hope they do, with their defense playing the far up the pitch. They need a faster centre back.

Biscan and Hyppia will get cought out from time to time for pace. It showed yesterday.

If Henchoz was in against Charlton then Lisbie would noty have scored the third goal, Henchoz as he always does, would have slid right through him with arms waving rather than back off him so much.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

If Henchoz was in against Charlton then Lisbie would noty have scored the third goal, Henchoz as he always does, would have slid right through him with arms waving rather than back off him so much

That is for sure, Hypiaa just seemed to stand and wait for him instead of going for him

Hopefully Henchoz should be back soon, just in time for the Ireland match:D and if we can get Boumsong during the next transfer window it should give us more cover.

Biscan has done ok but if we can be destroyed like we were at the weekend then things aint so good. Boumsong would allow us pairings of Hyypia & Henchoz, Hyypia & Boumsong, Biscan & Boumsong and Henchoz and Biscan - all avoiding the pairing we had at the weekend.

Or perhaps Biscan could play in the postition that he is meant to in midfield and get out of defence altogether...

He was brought in as a utility player that could play most defensive and defensive midfield positions. It turns out that he can play hardly any positions but I don't think he has done that badly at CB. He is unlikely to ever be first choice in any position though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 393 ✭✭JaneyMackers

To fairness to Biscan he didn't do alot worng Sat. He can bring the ball out of defensive much better than H or H.

Ho could develop into a good CB.

Bounsong however would do the job nicely. Fast, strong and Solid.

Advertisement