Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Cost of Tattoos

• 28-09-2003 4:02pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,890 ✭✭✭

I want to get a tattoo, and plan on getting it done around my birthday when I have a little extra cash. The design of the tattoo is something very personal to me and it certainly isnt something that a tattoo artist would have in their portfolio. Thats not to say its a complicated one, cos it isnt.
    Someone in my work told me that a tattoo artist will charge you more for bringing in your own design. Like, if you pick something out of the book, its cheaper. This design that I have come up with is really simple.... it would probably take about 5-10 minutes to do. Its probably more simple than some of the designs they would have on their walls. So, is that true?

Im very skeptical about that.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,436 ✭✭✭bugler

Would depend on the artist I suppose, but I'd be very surprised if you were charged a signifcant amount more for a design that's simply done. Fair enough if an artist has to spend time out drawing a tricky and complex design, but not for something easy.

Just ask whatever artist you choose..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,890 ✭✭✭embee

Ya I didnt think that it would be extortionately expensive, like my workmate would have me believe.

Thanks for the info anyways.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭dragon_ninja82

Most tattoo artists charge by time, so there should be no extra cost associated with a custom design, especially true if its a simple design. Bear in mind, most places charge a minimum charge of around 60-65 euro's, but considering what you are getting is for life, 65 euros aint too much too ask! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,030 ✭✭✭smiaras

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 Malaise

My last tattoo was unbelievably teeny & the actual process only lasted about 20 minutes...but they do have a minimum charge & in that case it was 50euro...however, they nearly charged me 70 minimum & I think they only didn't as it was my third tat with same guy...so just ask what the minimum charge is before commiting to an artist!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

All you can do is ask really- it's not as though there's a regulatory body for such things (should be mind you, but that's another arguement).

My first one caost only £50 back in '00 and it took the guy 2 hours to do! It's very big, so that's probably the reason for it being so low. He got an extra tenner as a tip.

My second one cost €80. Only took 10 - 15 mins to do, but runs the length of my back (from the shoulder down). Different artist, different parlour and different town.

Go figure!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭Cake Fiend

I doubt it would cost any huge amount - mine is small (about the size of a €1 coin and took about half an hour including cleaning etc, it cost £25 a few years ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 fjd

A tattoo is for life, so while cost is a consideration, if I were you I'd be more worried about the quality of work your getting.
    The reason that a design you bring to a tattooist yourself can cost more than the designs on the shops walls is that good tattoo designs are designed to be suitable for applying with a tattoo machine. They have the correct line weight, shading, scale and so on. While your tattoo design may be small, it may be verry awkard for a tattooist to apply.
    If you want advise about tattoos, forget what the guy at work says, and get youself to a reputable, professional tattooist, and ask them.
    "Guys at work" have been known to advise people to pee on their tattoos to heal them.
    Can you post a link to a picture of your design?

Advertisement