Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

shutting down win2k using winlirc & remote

Options
  • 28-09-2003 4:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 681 ✭✭✭

Anyone know the easiest and smallest program to use to interpret a remote control code from winlirc as an instruction to shut down windows? I haven't had much luck googling for this :/

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,780 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Might get more interest if you said a bit About WinLIRC
    WinLIRC allows you to transmit and receive standard infrared remote control signals. This allows you to control your computer using almost any standard infrared remote control. It also allows your computer to control other equipment which uses these signals (stereo equipment).

You could use the shutdown.exe program in windows 2k or on the NT4 resource kit or the one for terminal server (all from M$ - all have completely different switches...)

http://www.ramscan.com/irex/
    "swoff - I added the following command to my irexe.cfg to get windows2000 to shutdown

packardbell aux3 exe "c:\program files\ir\swoff.exe" /shutdown"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 681 ✭✭✭Kopf

any ideas where to get this swoff.exe (or a similar switch-off program)? I've googled but to no avail.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,780 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

My Guess is that SWOFF is a Packard Bell util - hence the reference to shutdown.exe in prev. post

Here is the syntax for some of the different versions of Microsoft Shutdown.exe - a 5 second delay and close all apps.

Shutdown /L /Y /C /T:5
    Shutdown -s -f -t 5
    Shutdown /POWERDOWN /DELAY:5 /V

For cleaner shutdowns
    Start all services then into dos prompt
    Net Start > netstop.bat
    then replace the 4 blank spaces with NET STOP " and put another " at the end of the line. then change the order of the lines depending on dependiencies..

Also use the Sync util in pstools in sysinternals website to flush the HDD cache before issuing shutdown command

Advertisement