Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sony Cyber-shot 3.2-Megapixel Digital Camera

• 28-09-2003 5:06pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭

I'm have been looking at this camera for some time and it looks very good. To those digital camera philes out there... what do you think of Sony Cyber shot camera? I'm looking at 200 dollars when I pick it up in the States and I'm getting a 128Mb stick (for about 70 dollars).

Has anyone seen any better or recommend a better camera with this similar price range? And I thought I'd have to spend 400 dollars for something this good. I'm sure a better model is replacing it as it's now cheaper but, hell this is a good camera.

Just want a 2nd opinion before I stumble for it. Thanks!

I'm looking at best buy's link for this: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?j=1&id=1051826109463&skuId=5364438&tab=2&type=product&productCategoryId=

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭hamster

Damnation... cookies. Ok, here a pic of it on the site. Details can be got there at bestbuy.com

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 1,851 Mod ✭✭✭✭Michael Collins

Looks good. For that price you can't go wrong with a Sony anyway. I have the Cyber-shotU DSC-U30 and love it. It's one of the ultra-compact ones and is just so slick. The picture qualitiy is excellent and it's only a 2 Megapixel. With a 3 Megapixel camera the possibilities are endless :p

If you take a lot of photos I'd definately recomend getting a seperate Memory Stick reader. It just makes transfering images so much easier and less hassle - no looking for leads / drivers etc. Those 6 or 7 in 1 readers are good value. Such as this one http://www.crucial.com/uk/store/partspecs.asp?imodule=CTR6ACPU2&cat=

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,649 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Lidl have one in the specials this week for €19.99
    I've seen them as well in the specials in Maplins - can't remember the price :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭Duffman

I have one, great camera with excellent picture quality... 128meg stick is loads of storage even at max res...

I dropped mine a few weeks ago... I don't know if it can be fixed :'(

Just looked at the photo... It's not the same camera... Mine is the P70 (or P90?!) it looks similar but has an optical zoom lens that sticks out at the front... If you want a zoom feature get this model instead... Digital zoom is completely useless..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭netman

personally, i'd stay away from the p32. it's got a fixed focal length lens, and as someone already mentioned digital zoom is crap.

for a little bit more you can get a p52 (with 2x optical zoom) or a p72 (with 3x optical zoom).

i'd shell out a tiny bit more to get a decent camera.

i bought a p72 a few months back in the states, and saved about 200 euro on the retail price here. (got a 128mb card aswell).

the 128 megs card is a real must, it can take about 80 pictures in the full 3.2mp resolution, or hundreds in 2 or 1.3mp resolutions.

the movie mode is handy for short shots, more of a toy really than something really useful, but it's still a nice to have. this camera also records sound, so you won't be stuck with a silent movie :)

i have a feeling p72 comes in a smaller, more compact case, but i could be wrong. have a look at the p52, too. it's a bit cheaper.

i couldn't be happier with my purchase, it's a great camera, with all the features i need, a fantastic resolution, and at a bargain price. i'm sure the price in ireland won't drop down to what i payed for it in the next year at least, which means if i want to sell to upgrade i wouldn't be losing too much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Bast*rds! The best deal I could get on the P72 this side of the water was £219.99 from Amazon...

It just got better...

Bloody Cheap Camera

Delivery was about another £8.

And its a great camera...try and get a Memory Stick Pro (smallest is 256MB, biggest 1 GB), fits loads of photos, or quite a bit of video if you want.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,994 ✭✭✭✭blorg

I'd be concerned about buying a camera that takes Memory Stick, as it is a single-vendor format basically only supported by Sony. I've even got a Sony laptop with a built-in MS slot, I just don’t like the idea of buying into a single-vendor format, and would personally be happier with SD cards, or CF in a bigger camera. However, this may not be a big deal for you.

If you are buying a Sony, make sure that it supports MS Pro, which are the next-generation memory sticks with >128mb capacity (the DSC-P72 does support this). Also, check out www.pixmania.co.uk - they have the Sony DSC-P72 for £186 against Amazon's £198; generally for any given camera they are cheaper than anywhere else, and deliver next day to Ireland for £9.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,204 ✭✭✭Tazz T

Lidl are doing a 4 megapixel from 2nd October for €279. I don't know the make though - Nytech!

Thanks for advices Guys... especially on the model no eg ..p32.. up to the P92 @ pixmania.co.uk. 5 Megapixels oh yummy! Makes my 1.5MP one looks really dated especially for anything taken at a distance.

• Advertisement

Originally posted by blorg
    I'd be concerned about buying a camera that takes Memory Stick, as it is a single-vendor format basically only supported by Sony.

You can buy 3rd party memory sticks that are much cheaper than Sony's... I have a Sandisk 128meg stick...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Originally posted by blorg

Also, check out www.pixmania.co.uk - they have the Sony DSC-P72 for £186 against Amazon's £198; generally for any given camera they are cheaper than anywhere else, and deliver next day to Ireland for £9.

And why is it that I only find out about these type of things AFTER I've bought mine from Amazon...:(

Oh well, on the bright side... the difference is only 6.4% and you still have a good camera! :)

Originally posted by Duffman
    You can buy 3rd party memory sticks that are much cheaper than Sony's... I have a Sandisk 128meg stick...

I know third parties make the sticks, I have a Lexar memory stick in my Sony Vaio at the moment. My issue is that you can only use them in Sony products, while other formats (such as SD card and Compact Flash) are supported by multiple vendors (and products) - the SD card association claims over 550 member companies supporting the format.

If you change digital camera in the future, you have a very wide range of brand choice with SD card, while with memory stick you only have one choice, Sony. Which is very good for Sony, but not so good for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭netman

well, that's all relative. i had an olympus camera before, and i found no use for the smart media card outside the camera. i sold them both and got the sony. i'm sure the next time i get a camera i'll be getting a new memory card, and selling my old camera and old card.

128 megs will be nothing for a 6-7-8 megapixel camera anyway, so what's the point of holding on to a memory standard. i'm sure i'll be getting a gig of memory with the next camera, at the rate things are going now. couldn't care less what standard it is, as long as the camera is good. :)

It depends how much of an investment you have in the memory, I guess. With almost a gigs worth of cards, I've spent almost as much on the cards as on the camera itself.

Also, I wanted to be able to view/edit the pictures on my PDA, and share the memory with it, which would have been impossible without SD or Compact Flash (I don't have/didn't want a Clie).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,319 ✭✭✭sci0x

I have a FinePix F410 and 128megs storage which does me perfectly. I was also looking at the Olympus C-5000 Zoom five megapixel camera. Not sure of the price but specs look good.

Advertisement