Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Starter Program

Options
  • 28-09-2003 5:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,941 ✭✭✭

Whats the best program for me to get to build a website? Have Frontpage 2002 but Im sure you all think thats ****e and I hate it anyway. Want to create a nice, proffesional looking site for my company, bit about us, show products and maybe develop a bit of an online store as well. Have no programming knowladge whatsoever (HTML or otherwise), so want a good WYSIWUG program along the lines of frontpage.

Any recommendations on where to start? If you could recommend the best program for my needs i'd buy a book and learn it myself but want to definatly build and manage the website myself.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Eurorunner

Dreamweaver MX. Similar thread recently - do a boards search on dreamweaver.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

Dreamweaver is definitely the most popular editor at the moment. Adobe GoLive offers fairly similar functionality.
    There were a few shareware ones around, but most of them seem to have fallen by the wayside, which is a pity.

You might want to look here:
    http://www.tucows.com/htmlbeginner95_default.html

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,950 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Get a trial copy of Dreamweaver MX and see what you think. Many of the internet magazines come with the trail if you can't download it.
    Try textpad or notepad if you want your skills to develop fully.
    Stay clear of Frontpage!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,941 ✭✭✭pclancy

dreamweaver looks the business allright. Cheers lads, can anyone recommend a good book to learn it with?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

Try the Dreamweaver MX Bible by Joseph Lowery.
    There are a lot of other books out there, but Lowery's bibles are usually the most comprehensive guides.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭p

If you want to have a professional nice looking website for your company then you should hire a professional. It's that simple.

Would you, for example, decide to design and plan your companies offices, or would you get an architect to do it?

Building a website may technically be basic, but doing it right is a different story.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 motorbass

I must agree with p. There is much more to building a website than knowing how to use Dreamweaver. Hire a professional to design and build it.

Advertisement