Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Does Conz have a point

Options
  • 28-09-2003 7:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭

this thread

Conz out lines his views on boards. As i dont know why he was banned from the irc chat room i wont comment on that at all.

Basically he thinks the commercial interaction boards and the advertising on boards.ie has made it go down hill. Personally i think the commercial interaction boards are of excellent use and are visited more frequently then the education boards. As for adds they are part of the paln towards this place not costing anybody money, which can only be a good thing.

As for the atmosphere around here, ever since the invent of boards beers people have been much nicer to each other, for what ever reason. less mindless abuse, and less bitching.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

The commercial interaction boards WERE NOT the replacement for the education board. Music was.

One member in three cites music as the reason they joined or specifically in their hobbies/interests. On the other hand the education forums were very underused. Hence the switch.

I think conZ is being "fairly gay" and I agree with Boston regarding Boards Beers. (You should have come over and said "hello" on saturday Boston, I may argue but I dont bite.)

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭conZ

So, Devore, you havent noticed a change in boards.ie in the last siz months/year?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

Originally posted by DeVore
    The commercial interaction boards WERE NOT the replacement for the education board. Music was.

One member in three cites music as the reason they joined or specifically in their hobbies/interests. On the other hand the education forums were very underused. Hence the switch.

I think conZ is being "fairly gay" and I agree with Boston regarding Boards Beers. (You should have come over and said "hello" on saturday Boston, I may argue but I dont bite.)

DeV.

even if they weren't the replacement i still think they add allot to the boards and saved moi afew yo-yos.

I did come over DeVore but you where gone, kinda had to sit where i was sitting because i was with friends and you lot would have scared them senseless, Don't worry i've every intention of being at the next one, which shall be up stairs if i remember correctly.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 10,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭ecksor

DeVore listed the basic things that you should always expect from boards.ie somewhere before (sign up, post, not get nuisance pop-ups, not have your personal details abused/shared), and if any of those are ever jeapordised, then you have serious cause for concern, but all of the admins are committed to those in the general spirit of what boards is.

We've been very lucky up to now with some very generous sponsors so our costs are kept low, but we still have costs, so we have things like advertisements, the commercial interaction forums, supporters pack, etc. This does not include the large amount of time it sucks from the admins, so it would be nice in theory to generate enough cash to pay a part-time wage so that someone could concentrate a more consistent body of time to handling support issues, maintenance, etc. However, that's not practical now, and anyway, the current setup seems to work reasonably well. (I especially love the abuse we get for our trouble, it really makes my ****ing day).

The way I see it, boards.ie is what people make of it themselves, and the admins are here to facilitate that and hopefully provide new facilities as time goes on. If users don't like something we do, then they should politely complain/discuss it, such as on threads like here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭Puck

Of course Boards has changed, it bloody well should have! That's called progress.

Boards is more whatever you want it to be now. You get out of Boards what you put into it. When I came here you could easily read all the boards, and I'm only new compared to a lot of people here. Now there's just too many. A person can come here and subscribe to only a few boards and not ever have to think of the other boards. There used to be just one litle community here, then it got big, now there's a whole bunch of little communities all on the one big site. If you ask me that's a good thing.

Like I said you get out of Boards what you put into it, if you think it's gotten worse then maybe you're looking for the problems in the wrong place.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,980 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

It's interesting, the boards beer phenomenon(SP) has created little friendly groups, but to an outsider, it's very intimidating to go onto boards.ie. It's like a gang more than a gathering.

People seem to melt into one omni-being that will crush anyone that seems to stray from their idea of what is acceptable, but will happily talk about anything they feel like whether it be sexual orientated, or abusive to other members, or otherwise, and not seem to care about whats said as long as they're a member of the "clique", whereas if the same or similar topics were discuss by someone who is not regular, it's the end for them!

Basically it seems there are standards for this group, and a completely different set for anyone outside it.

You'd get exactly what I mean if you're a regular to the IRC channel.

Now I have commented on certain issues about boards (which were related to how boards was run) only to be set upon by a number or people, joining together for one cause, to disparage everything I said. The scary thing was that half of them didn't seem to care about what was being discussed, rather they just wanted to back up their friends in the "clique" oblivious to the issue at hand. This happens in a lot of channels I'm sure, but not one which can directly influence how you're treated on www.boards.ie, and yes, it does have a bearing, no matter what you believe.

Oh and what I was talking about on IRC concerning boards.ie was a Mod Charter (I was unhappy about how certain mods took drastic measures without first checking if they were in the right, or if what they were doing was could of been resolved a different way, I forget now what post or thread started it)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

/makes mental note: I must consult any gay people I know on Monday to find out if they find the /new/ usage of the phrase "fairly gay" to mean "crap" or "sh1te"...

a Insulting and a step back for tolerance
    b Not a problem at all
    c Black

Originally posted by Giblet
    Oh and what I was talking about on IRC concerning boards.ie was a Mod Charter (I was unhappy about how certain mods took drastic measures without first checking if they were in the right, or if what they were doing was could of been resolved a different way, I forget now what post or thread started it)

I don't recall any grief of this nature when you brought up the idea on the Mod forum. Was this just on IRC?

(I'll go look for the thread).

• Registered Users Posts: 12,169 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

I dont have much time to post now but I will say that I myself also find the clique present in #boards.ie, to unhelpful, insulting and down right petty sometimes.

I believe the ops in the channel should act the same way as the mods would on boards, each being held responsible for their actions in a court of admin....(umm yeah)

Anyway, the ops, imo, should stop flaming, insulting and abuse that is anyway spiteful or hurtful. We do all love the funny kind of abuse :/

End communication.

Giblet, i've come to the conclusion many of these people knew each otehr before mettign on boards. Know exactly what you mean about the whole clique things especialy in reference to users like amp and wwm who if you don't confirm to there narrow prepective on things then your a sub human. But i say fuk people like that giblet, come to the boards beers and keep moi company i take people as i find them. I'm personally allways happy to disagree with someone for the shake of it and honestly i seriously couldn't give a fuk what any member of boards.ie thought of moi, i've my own little group of friends in the real world and i dont need to care what people who are to full of their own bull, think. That said there are some very sound and nice people flowing around here, if their wasn't i'd be long gone. I heard what you say, but personaly i prefer to be outside the box looking in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,980 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

I have a 2 hour log of it which i'll track down :)

It was about 2 months before I finally suggested the Mod Charter.

I have a 2 hour log of it which i'll track down :)

Urgh, don't bother, I don't care. I can imagine.
    It was about 2 months before I finally suggested the Mod Charter.

Well, I'm glad you did. It sparked off some good ideas, and no bad blood that I could see. Remember, most boards people don't use that channel, and lots of the people who do don't pay attention to it.

How that i'm thinkign of it wasn't there a topic in the boards.ie chat room for several weeks along the lines of boston is an asshole. Posted up by some pretty prominent moderators around here at the time. Ecksor, i was reading your concerns about image content in another thread and how it reflects on boards, yet the IRC hcat rooms seem otu of bounch

I don't remember the topic, but it sounds plausible.

I'm not exactly sure what relationship the channel has or should have to boards itself. I've tried to not link to the two any more than casually or coincidentally. (I.e, turn a blind eye to stuff that would be definitely out of order on boards, repeated crap on IRC hasn't prompted me to ban anyone on boards, etc etc).

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

To be fair now Boston you've admitted yourself that you can be an asshole :p (j/king)

Look, human nature is human nature. I dont like cliques either, I like big happy families. Or lots of small happy families.

I also cant *make* every mod be a cuddle-bunny. I'm not sure I'd like to either.

I know Boards is changing, its going somewhere and like a rollercoaster, I may be one of the people up front but I have limited control over where that is! (isnt it kinda fun to explore tho? we must be the only people in Ireland ever to have to face this specific instance of the problem, in a unique environment).

Ironically I cant think of two people less likely to back each other up at the moment then WWM and Amp.

I *would* like to hold Mods to a higher standard of posting and avoid trolling, baiting and the lower forms of flaming. One thing that might work is something like a Hypocratic Oath for Mods.

"I swear never to use my Moderatorship for my own ends, to avoid trolling and flaming when I can, to assist n00bs and .... etc etc". (You get the idea).

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

People will naturally gravitate to like-minded people and that cannot be avoided, hence we have 'cliques' or as Dev called them small happy families. I knew one boards member before I joined here and now I know lots more. I suppose I'm in a clique with some but so what? I'm not adverse to meeting new people.

An oath for us Mods is a good idea and gets my vote.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

It's interesting, the boards beer phenomenon(SP) has created little friendly groups, but to an outsider, it's very intimidating to go onto boards.ie. It's like a gang more than a gathering

This is totally natural human behaviour, some of us met at the first boards beer which will be two years ago in April, you could say we have gotten to knew each other and so it’s only natural to head for the person you know in a room full of strangers. However, I do not agree that someone’s first time can alienate them, if I meet someone for the first time and know them by their nickname, I am going to speak to them. I’m sure it can feel a little strange when it’s your first time to come to a boards party, but it was everyone’s first time once and it’s only an obstacle if you let it be one.
    Boards parties are always good fun, I've never been to a bad one yet!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 babyjesus

Theres always been cliques on boards, its a part of it and unavoidable. I don't like it but what you gonna do, as people said, people gravitate towards similar minded people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 825 ✭✭✭MarcusGarvey

Does it make you cry BabyJesus ?

(Oh come on, I had to ask !! )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 babyjesus

WAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHH

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

baby jesus is looking a bit rough

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭logic1

Down with the Cliques I say.

.logic.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

Originally posted by Boston
    Know exactly what you mean about the whole clique things especialy in reference to users like amp and wwm who if you don't confirm to there narrow prepective on things then your a sub human.

i think if you actually bothered to look beyond your own nose youd see a lot of differnt things boston.
    the fact that i think youre a príck does not mean my 'prepective' on things is narrow, it actually means im on the same wavelength as most of the people on boards.
    now, what we do in our personal lives is our own business, if we want to go to the pub and not talk to you, then good on us.
    if amp thinks youre a wánker then fair play to him, we agree on that. and if anyone is in a clique, then what fúcking business of yours is it?

if youa re talking about moderating, then i think everyone has their own style, and everyone does their own thing, but again, what business is it of yours?
    if i agree a lot with what someone like logic1 says, then it means we agree on a lot of things. just because no one ever agrees with you, doesnt mean we are all in a secret club, it means we have a different opinion than you.
    and the only one who ever complains about it, is you.

why dont you try looking at the common theme here, its you.

god, what a fúcking whiney namby pamby you are.

hmm wwm i'd there say that the majority of boards have absolutely no opinion on moi what so ever, so i doubt you @i'm a prick attitude is shared with allot of people here. If you seriously think i'm a prick then you a very very messed up individual, cause at the end of the day i've done nothing to you, i've said nothing to you, its not like i stole your car or insulted your mother. I don't need you to talk to me in a pub, i can get on just fine with almost anybody.

As for Amp, i doubt he really thinks i'm a wanker, though i can't speak for him, seems a nice enough bloke and not the type of person to be hung up with petty hates, made much more of an effort ot get along with me and talk to me at boards beers in the past then you, who i just foudn extremely offensive and abusive. i just don't think we're (moi and amp)ever going to be best buds but i do think at this stage we have learnt to tolerate each other to some degree, even if its jsut for the shake of the administration.

You may really think i'm a prick, thats your right, its your right to say it offer the internet, its your right not to like, but on all the occasions we have met you have never once said it to me, which makes me think your not as committed to this line of thinking. Trojan on the other hand has never dont what you do (bitching about me on the net) first time we met he said to me, that he thought i was a prick when i first signed up, and jesus i've got allot of respect for that type of person.

Devore: i know i can be an asshole, everyone can, but i can also be allot of other things, do you really think i have got this far through life by being a complete arsehole.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,404 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I think it is time to form www.society.ie and deport all those with positive IQs. After all www.afterhours.ie already exists (a fiver will do for the ad Gambler ;)). http://www.arts.ie/ and http://www.games.ie/ and http://www.music.ie/ and http://www.radio.ie/ and http://www.sci.ie/ and http://www.tech.ie/ and http://www.sports.ie/ all exist.

Now to get our hands on www.admin.ie and control the world ... well Ireland .. well www.admin.ie ... maybe

• Registered Users Posts: 12,169 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

What the hell is with this 'moi' crap Boston, next you'll be referring to yourself in the third person.
    Is this what they teach the youth in Trinity nowdays?
    Selfish, pretentious, egotistical wánkers the lot of ye....

Down with Trinity!

Careful now.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭TomTom

I did come over DeVore but you where gone
    Sorry for quoting out of contxt but these really gave me the wrong mental image and it still has me laughing.

I like boards the way it is, its broad and that good. There may be a certain clique with some people but wat the hell let them off. The comercial interaction is very helpfull and is progress after all.

Originally posted by Sangre
    What the hell is with this 'moi' crap Boston, next you'll be referring to yourself in the third person.
    Is this what they teach the youth in Trinity nowdays?
    Selfish, pretentious, egotistical wánkers the lot of ye....

Down with Trinity!

Careful now.
    the moi is the same moi in my sig, and theres a story behind it, not a really interesting or funny story so i won't go into it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

Paddy20 could have sorted ye all out in the one fell swoop , what a pity :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

As for Amp, i doubt he really thinks i'm a wanker, though i can't speak for him, seems a nice enough bloke and not the type of person to be hung up with petty hates, made much more of an effort ot get along with me and talk to me at boards beers in the past then you, who i just foudn extremely offensive and abusive. i just don't think we're (moi and amp)ever going to be best buds but i do think at this stage we have learnt to tolerate each other to some degree, even if its jsut for the shake of the administration.

I've talked to you? Was I drunk at the time? As regards tolerating you, I find ignoring your petulant drivel suits me most of the time.

But flame on moron, flame on.

bostonbaby.jpg

Advertisement