Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

JSP/Servlets and Web Design

Options
  • 28-09-2003 7:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭

I dont know how to pose this question..

Is it safe to say that JSP is used primarily for retrieving informations from a data source to create\display dynamic content on a web site..

Also, is it safe to that JSP or servlets are not used for web site design, specifically for layout purposes..

An example, if I was to create a website, I would use both HTML and CSS for the layout and design of the web site while JSP will be used primarily to display dynamic content from a data source, say a database... And servlets would be used to increase the functionality of a web based application, and again, not for layout or design purposes.

So basically what I am trying to ask is this, is JSP and Servlets used primarily for the retrievel of dynamic content and to add to the functionality of a web application/site and are not used for web design purposes such as layout/design/presentations....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

JSP/Servlets are server-side technologies. They are used primarily in dynamic sites which may (or may not) run from a database backend.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,147 ✭✭✭oneweb

JSP is whatever you want it to be :)

Yes, you can use it to retrieve data from databases (although you could delegate that to Servlets), however one of the main points of JSP is that you can code up a html document, rename it from .htm to .jsp and use it exactly as is, or include dynamic content by using tags within the .jsp page. It's pretty much a whole-hog affair when it comes to the Model View Control design.

Can I ask why you're askin (particularly the way you asked)?

It is what it's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

Server side technologies, such as JSP, PHP, ASP and the like, have been used for a number of reasons. The most obvious is with regard to databases. Obviously it would be impractical for reasons of bandwidth and security to download a database, thus keeping this data on the server and only sending the user a requested subset of the data would make sense.

Another reason for the use of Server side technologies, which is no longer as important nowadays, was as a workaround for the differences between browsers (anyone remember DHTML versus dHTML?).

Finally, there are a number of things that one’s client, or browser, just cannot do; such as send SMS or act as a chat relay or proxy. In these cases this functionality is catered to on the server, using these technologies.

As an addendum, it should be noted that Server side technologies are not part of Web design. It’s more correctly Web development – programming, albeit often vary sloppy programming, and should not be approached with the mindset or WYSIWYG of a designer, regardless of what Macromedia are trying to peddle.

I suspect that this thread was ultimately better suited to the Webmaster / Flash board, so I’ll move it there.

Advertisement