Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Download emails

Options
  • 28-09-2003 8:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭

How does one download all read and unread messages from hotmail to an email client? Also which is the best email client. Tired of using hotmail now...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Eurorunner

Mail Clients: Discussed quite recently
    here
    AND
    here
    How does one download all read and unread messages from hotmail to an email client?

If you use incredimail, this will be done automatically as part of the setup of your hotmail account in incredimail.

Decide on which email client you would be most interested in using and i'm sure someone will confirm how it can handle hotmail..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 483 ✭✭aclane

Well you need the pop3 server address which would be something like: pop3.hotmail.com to recieve your emails and you'd need their SMTP address which would be something like: mail.hotmail.com to send em..

They are not the correct addresses i've given but i'm sure you could find them on hotmail.com somewhere:)

As for best client, i use outlook which i've had no problems with..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Eurorunner

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭pdogs

You can setup Hotmail in OE or my own favourite Foxmail 4.1 English

• Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭CivilServant

I think I'll use Outlook Express cos it's free and is hotmail friendly (no surprise there). Its seperate from the internet too, so I don't have to log on to check my email.

But what do you do if you want to delete your messages from your hotmail account and save them to a local account/address book and take that address book wherever you go. I'm not asking for a lot ;)

• Advertisement

If you access Homail via OE then what happens is that the two accounts (on the web and on your pc) are mirrored by a synchronisation process. So if you delete on OE the mail will be moved to the trash and (as long as you are - or return to being - on line) vice versa on the web-server to mirror any changes that you make.

The Address Book on the Hotmail Website and the one on your PC can also be synchronised; though there was a bug associated with this for a while - but which should have been fixed by now. It's not something I have ever done however.

Yeah it does the sychronisation allright. But my hotmail account on the web is getting near it's limit. I want to keep my emails and clear out my web account. But synchronisation won't be handy in that case. Any ideas.

If I were to decide to change computer or move my emails how would you do that?

Create a new local (not Hotmail) folder in OE with a name to your liking - such as HotArchives - and move or drag the mails you want saved out from Hotmail's inbox (or other Hotmail folder) and into your new local folder. This will effectively delete them from Hotmail's folders but keep them saved on your HDD.

PS if you want them saved on two computers just copy and dont move them on the first computer before moving them on a second computer.

Thanks pdog, to think I've been using computers for years and I didn't think of that. :o Cheers :)

Advertisement