Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Networking between XP and 98? :0

• 28-09-2003 10:02pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 605 ✭✭✭

Hey,
    first off, let me say I've not done a thing with networking in the past so don't be too impatient with me ;)
    I have 2 pcs here, side by side. One with Win XP and one with Win 98.
    I've just put in two 10/100 network cards thinking I just need to lash in a cable and I get to share files between the two :P
    I was wrong, seems more complex than I thought.

Can someone give me a hand here getting on my feet.
    Basically I want to be able to share files between the hard disks on the two pcs and later on share a printer.
    I have no hub or router or anything fancy like that :P

Cheers
    - Tim

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Eurorunner

Heres a good starting point:

Link

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 629 ✭✭✭str8_away

I have done this between two WinXP but am sure it will work between WinXP and Win98.
    All you need is have both computer on the same workgroup.

1) you need a crossover cable.
    2) setup workgroup in WinXP. WinXP has wizard for doing this.
    Just name the workgroup anything you like. At the end of setup WinXP will ask if you want to create a floppy disk to setup workgroup on other OS.
    3) setup the workgroup on Win98 with the disk create by WinXP and use the same workgroup name.
    4) Share the folder you want other computer to see by right click and choose "sharing ..."

It takes less than 5 minutes on two WinXP machines
    Hope this helps

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

You may also need to disable the builtin firewall on the XP machine.
    But try str8_away's suggestions first as they might reconfigure the firewall to allow the two to connect anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

also,make sure to create a user account on the XP machine for the 98 user too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 605 ✭✭✭exiztone

Thanks for the info guys.
    I actually feel a bit stupid now.
    When I bought a batch of stuff from komplett. I picked cat5 cable and not crossover because I wasn't aware you couldn't use the normal one for pc to pc networking :000
    Waste of cash, but I'll go into Peats on the weekend and buy a nice crossover cable :)
    I'll see how it goes from there.

• Advertisement
Advertisement