Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Remote Access using windows

Options
  • 28-09-2003 11:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭

A mate has asked me to set up his office machine so that he can access it from his laptop (he's a sole trader and has only one machine in his office. I've never done anything like this before, but my assumptions are that it is possible as long as I have the following...

1. XP Pro installed on both machines.
    2. Wake on Lan (?) for the both machines.
    3. Some type of software...
    4. His office machine to always be on/on standby...

MMmmm... my assumptions aren't getting me very far, but I imagine it's not too hard to set up...

Can anyone help me?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭moridin

He could get a copy of PC anywhere or something like that, which can be setup to call into his office machine, and when it detects the incoming call it hangs up and calls back the number that was calling in the first place, thereby connecting to his laptop? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Eurorunner

Could use RealVNC

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭moridin

I've used VNC before and while I like it it doesn't have the range of features that PC Anywhere has... I guess it depends on what you're using it for... if his business is permanently connected then VNC could be an option but as far as I know VNC doesn't support the whole making a connection thing, you need to know the IP address of the computer you're connecting to? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭Duffman

XP has a basic "Remote Desktop" feature, it won't work very well over 56k though because I think it's JPEG based... I use it on my LAN and it does the job...

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

Have a look for Laplink on the comp mags..

I saw one about 2 weeks ago with Laplink Gold.

I find this very handy and gives you all the functionality of PC Anywhere for free...

Tox

• Advertisement
Advertisement