Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Returning Badly Repaired Goods.

Options
  • 29-09-2003 12:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,517 ✭✭✭

I bought a home theatre system in Currys last november.
    It's had a minor fault with the picture since I got it. Seen as the gaurantee is up soon, I decided to send it in for repair.

They sent it back to Philips.
    I got it back, seemed fine, except that I reckon it's not the unit I gave them, there's a couple of marks on it that weren't there, also a few stickers that weren't there. Also, now the centre channel has stopped working. This suggests to me, that philips changed the stickers, and sent me back one they thought was working.

I dropped it back to them today, they checked the serial number( on a sticker) which said it actually was mine. I'm not convinced, but I guess I can't prove it.

So, can I demand a refund? Can I make them give me a new machine? Just to clarify, the machine is still faulty. With a problem that wasn't there when I gave it to them for repair.

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭De Rebel

Most warranty agreements include a "replace/repair at their sole discretion" clause, so they are entitled to replace the item you returned and they usually reserve the right to replace it with a remanufactured (i.e. not new) item.

So what they did is probably ok, subject to the terms of the warranty agreement.

However, they are liable to repair the newly identified defect. Given the imminent expiry of your warranty, get it back to them as soon as possible.

In view of the fact that this is the second problem with the item, it would be worth asking if extended warranty is available.

Advertisement