Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Starting a website

• 29-09-2003 5:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8

Maybe in wrong area- but where can I go to find info on starting a website, pref somewhere where that I can get help if required.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 95 ✭✭fractal

Um,

You're really being a bit general. Do you wanna learn how to write a basic static website with html and upload it to a server?

Or do you want to create your own webserver and all that.

Or do you want advice about starting a high-profile website, marketing, technology involved, content to offer.. etc..

Post back with specifics and we might be able to help you out..

-fractal-

• Closed Accounts Posts: 761 ✭✭✭PrecariousNuts

Well first of all you need to plan out the website.
    Decide what pages you will need.
    Draw out on a page how every link will link to each other.
    Once you have a fair idea what you want start making the pages.

I've taught myself html and css to a very resonable level in the period of a few months and recently started on php/mysql. I should be able to answer any questions you have.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 dreckerbie

Looking for the least painful and quickest solution to putting a web- page idea on air without having to learn code myself- preferably a hosted template in the beginning, with plans to upgrade to a small business website.

Still have to register site name, find web server, etc.
    Have the basic content idea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭BoB_BoT

use a WYSIWYG program such as Dreamweaver or even frontpage. you can get some free ones aswell. go to www.download.com and search for html/html program etc... then download, will more than likely be a trail version.
    gl

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭Kazu

good tutorials

www.www.w3schools.com

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 95 ✭✭fractal

OK if you dont want to learn code yourself you had best get a WYSIWYG.. Some of these include MS frontpage or Macromedia Dreamweaver..

I would however strongly suggest staying away from Frontpage. Dreamweaver is a _far_superior product. Generates much tidier HTML. Also has support for all manner of fancy wingdings and whotsits :)

To get the site online you will most likely need to ftp it there. Windows comes with the ftp command that will do just that, Frontpage and dreamweaver also come with built in ftp (publish to web) or you might like to try WS_FTP. Nice gui ftp program for windows.

While registering site names and getting web servers can be done cheaper I'd recommend checking out www.host.ie In my experience they have been great. Uptime (almost 100%), and great support.

Only other thing I'll say is that you would do much better to go off and learn html/css and the like. While the HTML editor will do most of the work its often handy to get down and tinker with html yourself..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 801 ✭✭✭dod

Avoid Frontpage like the plague.

You do not want to have to deal with the consequences of using Frontpage: girls will cross the road to avoid you, nightclubs will empty out upon your arrival, traffic wardens will spurn your company, the Jehovah Witnesses will refuse to call to your door.

For the sake of the children, use Dreamweaver. For the love of God, man.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 dreckerbie

Excellent and immediate responses appreciated. Will be posting again in the near future, first need to weigh up options supplied.
    As ever, thanks!

Advertisement