Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool v Arsenal

• 29-09-2003 6:11pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭

I suppose it's a bit early to discuss next weekends matches but with Sky reporting that Gerrard Houlier considers next weekends game as make or break for liverpools season does he mean he will leave if the pool lose.
    If this is the case should he start packing now or should he leave it until after the match?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Originally posted by The Muppet
    Gerrard Houlier considers next weekends game as make or break for liverpools season does he mean he will leave if the pool lose.

I'd reckon "Break" will be the result and O'Neill to be Pool manager before xmas.

(Purely my opinion not based on any facts)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

As someone who was huffing and puffing that Houllier must go earlier this year I must declare now I dont regard the Arsenal game as make or break, no more than Charlton was anyway.

As for next Sunday - well Liverpool may not get a better oppotunity to beat Wengers boys, comming on the back of an arduous journey to eastern Europe where I suspect a few injuries are likely to be picked up...

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

The Wenger Bus is coming lalallalala......

Anyways, I reckon a score draw. Probably one all.

Owen will get a penalty (for a change).

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

This sounds very similar to the situation United were in last year and we saw how that was turned around. Bit soon for giving him the push

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

The Wenger Bus is coming lalallalala......

That should be the Whinger bus is coming, whaaa whaaa whaaa ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 393 ✭✭JaneyMackers

Well if O'Neil doesn't take the Spurs job, its must mean something better is on the horizon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

apparently Its GH hImself that said this was a make or break match. Hows that for creating a stick to beat himself with, Was he not under enough pressure as it was?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 353 ✭✭IgnatiusJRiley

Originally posted by JaneyMackers
    Well if O'Neil doesn't take the Spurs job, its must mean something better is on the horizon.

There could hardly be something worse on the horizon than the spurs job :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Originally posted by sykeirl
    Owen will get a penalty (for a change).

Does this stem from someone elses inability to score penalties lately :D :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭p.pete

Not sure if I'm looking forward to this match. Both teams have injury problems at the moment and I guess Liverpool will be helped by the fact that Arsenal have to go to Russia and back before then.

Henchoz played 90mins in a reserve game last night and was apparently impressive. Not sure if that means if he will be back but he would be worth the risk after the Charlton match.

• Advertisement

As regards the GH leaving and Martin O Neill speculation, it's all a bit pointless at the moment. Liverpool had their worst start in decades followed by a run that enabled them to catch right up followed by a disaster of a match at the weekend. It's always going to be up and down at this stage so not really worth speculating yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭red-not-blue

I think this will be our year despite the bad start. Owen is a world class striker and will start putting them away when it comes to the crunch. Don't forget Manc had a woefull period last season and went on to win it.

I reckon the Arse will be totally demoralised after they get whooped tonight and that will f*** them up for a couple of weeks dropping points like elbows !!.

GH is experimenting with his new players at the moment and they will click soon, you wait and see. Henchoz played well last night and he is the key to our defence. Kewell will get the place and function in the squad that he had at Leeds and will become a force to be reckoned with over the next few games. The Charlton match was just a blip in the pond. Arsenal will get no respect at the weekend. I think 2-1 to the Pool with Hesky to score and Kewell.

ReD-NoT-BlUe

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 310 ✭✭rocco

"this will be our year" how many times have I heard that from Liverpool fans over the last few years . Not a hope mate

Danny Murphy will be out of the game as he's being ruled out for up to a Month!!

http://www.teamtalk.com/teamtalk/News/Story_Page/0,7760,690214,00.html

I admire your optimism ReD-NoT-BlUe, mine has long been "beaten" out of me but it's still nice to see. Ignore all the people that tell you your wrong, they're just messing with you head:D

I predict a 4 - 0 win for the pool, Heskey to get a hat trick, Diouf to score, 3 Arsenal players to get sent off and Henry to get injured.......... ahem ahem ahem :p :eek: :D

Also

"Salif Diao is set for a three-match ban for his sending off during the Reds second string's 1-0 win over Everton at Chester, boss Gerard Houllier's squad will be stretched even further. Houllier already has Chris Kirkland, Dietmar Hamann, Jamie Carragher, Milan Baros and Bruno Cheyrou on his long term injured list as well as Danny Murphy now who is to undergo a scan today"

Originally posted by irish1
    Also

"Salif Diao is set for a three-match ban for his sending off during the Reds second string's 1-0 win over Everton at Chester, boss Gerard Houllier's squad will be stretched even further. Houllier already has Chris Kirkland, Dietmar Hamann, Jamie Carragher, Milan Baros and Bruno Cheyrou on his long term injured list as well as Danny Murphy now who is to undergo a scan today"

Talk about being the bearer of bad news, there was me being optimistic like :ninja:

Originally posted by jesus_thats_gre
    Talk about being the bearer of bad news, there was me being optimistic like :ninja:

Ah well you reckoned they had GREAT dept in their squad, so now we'l see;)

Ah well you reckoned they had GREAT dept in their squad, so now we'l see;)

There was great depth in the squad before 3 of the midfield, 3rd choice striker and a flexbile defender all got fooked up...

Another point, whats with a United supporter starting this thread nearly a week before the game and most of the posts being from United supporters. If Liverpool are so bad, why are you so interested in them?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭red-not-blue

Qoute - Talk about being the bearer of bad news, there was me being optimistic like.

Them Manc fellers - much as I despise them - did well during a period when they had a lot of their squad out injured - the likes of Keane (should still be playing for the ROI IMO) - Beckham (spit) - Neville and several other. The rest of the team took up the slack, the Pool have done well in situations like this when most of the utd squad were just wet dreams.

Liverpool play with pride and determination no matter how down the results get.

You can never write us off, to do so would be foolish. Anyway with the 3 points against Arse this week we will get our season back on track. God help manc when they come to fortress Anfield. They can pay what they like for their players and dancers and divers - on that day we will teach you a lesson in spirit and football and show Ferdinand and the Nobble brothers for the useless twats they really are !!!

Liverpool supporters all come and support you side here and let Arse and manc prawn sandwich gobblers know what it's all about.

ReD-NoT-BlUe

There was great depth in the squad before 3 of the midfield, 3rd choice striker and a flexbile defender all got fooked up...

Another point, whats with a United supporter starting this thread nearly a week before the game and most of the posts being from United supporters. If Liverpool are so bad, why are you so interested in them?

I was only joking, and Just incase anyone would dare think I support MAN UTD I DON'T, Villa are my posion.

I was only joking, and Just incase anyone would dare think I support MAN UTD I DON'T, Villa are my posion.

I take it all back, big hungs all round...

now to the Villa bashing :p

now to the Villa bashing :p

LOL that wouldn't be hard, but as I always doug ellis should be in charge of our rail network because they stole his slogon

"We'r not there yet but we'r getting there"

Ya right!!

Sorry didn't mean to spam the thread but opening a thread a week before a game is leaving it wide open to spam.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭mr_angry

I predict a 4 - 0 win for the pool, Heskey to get a hat trick, Diouf to score, 3 Arsenal players to get sent off and Henry to get injured.......... ahem ahem ahem :p :eek: :D

You're just waitng for me to reply, aren't you? Well I'm not gonna bother! Haha!

Oops.

The words "cow's arse" and "banjo" spring to mind regarding that statement, by the way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,392 ✭✭✭jonno

I think Liverpool can get a result this weekend.

Also the speculation of Boumsoung signing for 5million during January has returned. What an aquisition he would be???

Speculation of Boumsongs entrance is being linked in with speculation of Hyypias exit. Apperently he will be coming in the summer either way (not gospel obviously) along with Cisse but SH's poor play of late has Houllier worried.

I thought the defence was doing fine until the weekend, sure we were letting in goals but we were scoring more - just like brazil and real(sarcasm, only a hint though):D

Posted by reb not blue
    God help manc when they come to fortress Anfield.

Laugh! i nearly swallowed me False teeth.

Just to clarify things Red Not Blue this is Liverpool FC who play at anfield in the prem you ar talking about?
    Liverpool play with pride and determination no matter how down the results get.

Well they have had more Practise than most.

• Advertisement

Posted By Jesus thats great

Maybe I was thinking of converting, Maybe i was tring to get another compliment from you,Or maybe I had no interest in talking about Rape allegations or Soccer am babes or maybei,m just odd and like to discuus football issues here but If you read my first post I made it clear why i started it.
    Is there any reason why i shouldn,t start a thread on Liverpool?

As soon as the united players see the "this is anfield" sign they will fall to pieces:D

As soon as the united players see the "this is anfield" sign they will fall to pieces

Maybe so, but the sign appears to be having the same effect on liverpool too.:D

Maybe I was thinking of converting, Maybe i was tring to get another compliment from you,Or maybe I had no interest in talking about Rape allegations or Soccer am babes or maybei,m just odd and like to discuus football issues here but If you read my first post I made it clear why i started it.
    Is there any reason why i shouldn,t start a thread on Liverpool?

Ok then.. hugs all around again.. ahem ahem.... Not that you can't, just wondered as to the reason/motive.... As I said before, you seem to remain relatively impartial so I will let it slide this time :p

Dont cross the big man again :D

Originally posted by p.pete
    As soon as the united players see the "this is anfield" sign they will fall to pieces:D

This is the same United as went to Anfield last season and won 2-1? I seem to remember Diego Forlan scoring two of the crappiest goals in living memory, Dudek's season going down the pan, and United perpetuating Liverpool's worst ever run of results?

Sure - "to pieces".

I'm an Arsenal fan, by the way. I hate United just as much as the next human being.

Well Mr angry, I was in fact being sarcastic. We've fared reasonably well against united over the last 3 or 4 seasons but yes that match last season was a catastrophe. Who knows, had we won that match Arsenal may have won the league...

• Advertisement

Originally posted by mr_angry4
    This is the same United as went to Anfield last season and won 2-1? I seem to remember Diego Forlan scoring two of the crappiest goals in living memory, Dudek's season going down the pan, and United perpetuating Liverpool's worst ever run of results?

Sure - "to pieces".

I'm an Arsenal fan, by the way. I hate United just as much as the next human being.

Oh please, do stop..... I will see you when I get home!!! There shall be a few insults, considering I cant call ya them here :p

We had our fate firmly in our own hands beofre we lost to Blackburn, drew at Villa, drew at Bolton, and lost at home to Leeds. The Liverpool-Utd result made very little difference compared to that.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to us getting a wooping in Moscow tonight, starting in about half an hour! Against my better judgement, I'm actually going to pretend to think we'll put in a good European performance tonight... :(

Originally posted by p.pete
    Who knows, had we won that match Arsenal may have won the league...

Was that a dig.. Oh please do say it is :D

As for Liverpool, last season is not allowed to be brought anymore on these threads as it provides non Liverpool fans with an argument... Can we get the Mods to agree on this, bannings for anymore who mentions last season on a Liverpool related thread?

Thought I might highlight some of what I said earlier with a comedy-thingy from football365. It's a couple of years old now, but still funny.

My personal favourite is No. 2...

FIFTEEN FOOTBALL HEADLINES YOU WON'T SEE IN 2002

1) Money No Object For Big-Spending Villa

2) Cow's Arse In Danger From Heskey Banjo

3) ‘Smith Must Be More Competitive’ Insists O’Leary

4) New Wembley Ahead Of Schedule & Under Budget

5) Neville The Hero As England Lift World Cup

6) Bowyer Converts To Islam

7) Another Akinbiyi Hat-Trick Saves Foxes From Drop

8) Another Heskey Hat-Trick Wins Title For Liverpool

9) Woodgate Named Sports Personality Of The Year

10) Wenger ‘Had Clear View Of Incident’

11) Bassett Unveiled As Fergie Successor

12) ‘Our Priority Is Defence’ Claims Keegan

13) Larsson Goal Drought Continues

14) Dyer: ‘I’m Gay’

15) Yorke: ‘I’m With Kieron’

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

As for Liverpool, last season is not allowed to be brought anymore on these threads as it provides non Liverpool fans with an argument... Can we get the Mods to agree on this, bannings for anymore who mentions last season on a Liverpool related thread?

also, bannings for anyone who digs up pool success from over 20years ago to ease the pain of their current state.

• Advertisement

Originally posted by smemon
    also, bannings for anyone who digs up pool success from over 20years ago to ease the pain of their current state.

Not to mention biased United supporters..

Posted by Mer Angry4
    I hate United just as much as the next human being.

That Can.t be true as statistacally speaking chances are the person standing next to you is likely to be an Man United Supporter.:D
    Posted by jesus
    As for Liverpool, last season is not allowed to be brought anymore on these threads as it provides non Liverpool fans with an argument

Great Idea. I propose the motion that as this is a soccer forum we should ban all mention of the current Liverpool team.:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,147 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

I propose the motion that for every offtopic post everyone is banned.

That Can.t be true as statistacally speaking chances are the person standing next to you is likely to be an Man United Supporter.

Yes it can. I don't class United supporters as normal human beings.:horned:

Originally posted by mr_angry4
    Yes it can. I don't class United supporters as normal human beings.:horned:

respectae that ****.. i think this thread should be moved to after hours haha

This is turning into the beginings of a hybrid soccer thread. The notion of not bringing up Liverpools last season is unrealistic and also not something I would like to see. Liverpool screwed up last season and they have to learn from that - if it is swept under the carpet we can't progress.

If we don't learn from the Charlton game Arsenal will hockey us - no matter what state they may currently be in.

If we don't learn from the Charlton game Arsenal will hockey us - no matter what state they may currently be in.

Yeah pete , if i was Gh i'd get that sign removed before the weekend. ;)

BTW i predict a liverpool win Saturday, Wishful thinking I know but I live in hope.

Thanks for the wishful prediction Muppet:D, quick question though, what has the quote you used from my post got to do with your post.

The sign was put there by Bob Paisly (afaik, but maybe Shankly???) and shall not be touched. Not really any lessons from the Charlton match that relate to the sign is there? if you can justify the link then I'm intrigued....

Sorry Pete did I confuse you? :D The sign comment is a refernence to comments made earlier in the thread about the sign and the effect it has on Visiting teams and liverpool FC . Its just a suggestion as you were suggesting Liverpool may be hockeyed at the weekend that removing it may improve their fortunes.

Ignore Spam Above :horned:

So whats everyones opinion on the result.... Arsenal certainly didnt deserve the win and Liverpool played very well considering the amount of injuries they had and now have.

• Advertisement
Advertisement