Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ryanair Telecom - a new dawn for CPS?

Options
  • 29-09-2003 6:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭

I heard an interesting ad on the radio this morning. Ryanair is now offering CPS services in Ireland.

When I checked their website this morning, there seemed to be a mix of BT prices and sterling references, but it looks like they've tidied it up a bit since then (not exactly the most confidence inspirising start, but what can you do?).

I'm not a huge fan of RyanAir, but if anyone has the market recognition, and potential muscle to do serious damage to eircoms dominant position, it's RyanAir. It's clear that the vast majority of consumers are extremely leery of taking CPS from companies that they've never heard of, in part because we all know that there's no such thing as a free lunch, and Irish consumers are immediately suspicious of someone who offers them a good deal (!!!), but I think RyanAir can overcome that.

I've posted this in the Market/Policy issues forum, but I think it probably deserves a "heads up" over in the Consumer forum, so if a moderator wants to move it over there, and then move it back (so that there's a "moved" link in the other forum), go ahead.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

Is this just a voice product or is there any relevance to internet access?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

Ryanair Launched in the spring as a sort of MVNO . Now they have added landlines over CPS .

As a virtual operator there is no reason why they cannot market a FRIACO product from their Host carrier.Who is hosting them does anyone know?

M

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Ripwave

Originally posted by SkepticOne
    Is this just a voice product or is there any relevance to internet access?

It's a voice only product, as far as I'm aware, and as far as I can see, it has exactly the same relevance to Internet access as yesterdays thread about Comregs new CPS regulations.

At first glance, RyanAir Telecom has the potential to have a significant impact in the consumer telecommunications marketplace. If this happens, it's hard to see how it could fail to have some impact on internet access (over half of all national landline call minutes are "internet" calls). CPS hasn't worked particularly well in this market, and this is the first CPS provider that I've seen that might possibly change that. (Becase the problems are "social" rather than technical). Wider understanding and acceptance of CPS is likely to lead to increased competition in the internet arena too.

Judging by comments in the other IOFFL board (the one with all the traffic :-) UTVs requirement that people sign up for CPS has probably stopped some people from switching to UTV's broadband and FRIACO products because some people are just uncomfortable with CPS. RyanAir might manage to change that. Someone whose been with RyanAir for 3 months will be a lot more comfortable switching to UTV than someone who's wondering what the catch is with CPS.

RyanAir CPS offerings include "pre-paid" bundles of voice minutes so I would be surprised if they didn't offer some sort of FRIACO-type bundle at some point too.

O'Leary would do his Mullingar knack routine on the winback fellas as well, without a thought :D

Imagine if Eircom had the cheek to say they were cheaper than Ryanair.

M

• Registered Users Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

Originally posted by Muck
    Who is hosting them does anyone know?
    Well their T & C (Section 8.8) mentions EsatBT restoring service after suspension.

I can't see any min call charge / call setup charge though.

.cg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,398 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

do you think that we will get ryanairs legendary customer service as well if anyone signs up i hope nothing ever goes wrongbecause you'll have to go to court to sort it out. new dawn i don't think so

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Originally posted by ednwireland
    do you think that we will get ryanairs legendary customer service as well if anyone signs up i hope nothing ever goes wrongbecause you'll have to go to court to sort it out. new dawn i don't think so
    Make sure you take any "special" or "free" offers with a pinch of salt too. FREE TELEPHONY FOR LIFE UNTIL THE BOSS CHANGES HIS MIND!

adam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Eurorunner

Enough of the ryanair bashing. What you see is what you get with them. If they're one thing, its transparent - they dont hide anything - yet you will always get people who still fly with them and will still whinge and moan about stuff they were already aware of before purchasing.

If ryanair actually put some resources into this venture (which i doubt very much they will do), it would be priceless from the publicity value alone - Mick O'Leary lambasting €ircon .full page ads in the National Press exposing €ircon as the Rat that it is...

Unfortunately, i doubt that they would get this involved as this is just spin off business just like the credit card/hotels/car hire deals...

Originally posted by Eurorunner
    If ryanair actually put some resources into this venture (which i doubt very much they will do), it would be priceless from the publicity value alone - Mick O'Leary lambasting €ircon .full page ads in the National Press exposing €ircon as the Rat that it is...

Someone should tell Mick to ring 1901 and ask them when the Delvin exchange is due to be upgraded for DSL . It may encourage him a bit in his new venture :D

M

ryanair-low-standards.png

• Advertisement

Adam,

You dont want to use ryanair, thats fine. Then dont, and theres nothing to moan about.

The last Ryanair flight I was on had a hole in the leading edge of the tail about the size of my fist.

M

You dont want to use ryanair, thats fine. Then dont, and theres nothing to moan about.

I don't use Ryanair, and I wasn't moaning. I'm just telling other people, in a roundabout manner, that they shouldn't fly Ryanair either.

You're very protective Eurorunner, should I be running my ConspiracyTheoryGenerator MK1? :)

Muck, it's only a matter of time before one drops out of the sky like a stone.

adam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 825 ✭✭✭MarcusGarvey

You do have to weight up the pros and cons and risks with Ryanair. I think its accepted that they shook up the Airline Industry right across Europe.

I think they are part to thank/blame for the new Aer Lingus. Aer lingus turned themselves around from a ripoff loss making airline to a cheaper profit making airline.

I wish Ryanair could push Eircom and EsatBT into doing the same.

oooooh new smiley: ]:)

Nice one cloud the new smiley ain't working. I think its meant to be: horned.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Must be a slow day in work or something........

*click*

{edit}
    Oh, look at that, wrong forum. My powers are useless! :D

ha ha

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭Da Man

Ryanair's ADSL would presumably be advertised as €10 a month, but that's just for the upstream and it actually costs €15 a month to get the downstream as well plus the €20 service charges making it a total of €45 a month. And if you spelt your name wrong on the application form they will keep billing you €45 but you won't get any ADSL. Extra bandwidth is charged in Sterling because "we're a European telecoms company".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 825 ✭✭✭MarcusGarvey

Merrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrge

Think the word you're looking for is "split" MarcusGarvey. ;)

Da Man, a masterful summary. Don't forget about the domain na... oh, hang on, that's probably proprietry to Netsource...

adam

Originally posted by Da Man
    Ryanair's ADSL would presumably be advertised as €10 a month, but that's just for the upstream ".

Ryanairs ADSL would only work as far as Dublin because they are a 'point to point' operation. You would have to pay €10 to access international web sites.

You would have a strict cap and would have to deal with the 'Excess Meggage Desk' if you exceeded your CAP, that you can be sure of with Ryanair. €36.30 a Gig would smell sweet to them :D

The plane with the hole is EI-COX normally based in Shannon, a right banger too.

M

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭jd

if you look at their web site it says

"© Ryanair Telecom – operating under licence from Ryanair.com"

also -Bumblebee Communications, P.O. Box 8977, Glenageary, Co Dublin operates under licence from Ryanair.com as Ryanair Telecom

someone is just borrowing the ryanair brand, probably paying a few quid for it too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

I doubt very much that Ryanair will get involved with broadband. There are loads of CPS operators out there and most of them will never do DSL. Even if Ryanair did get involved, they would just be another bitstream reseller and be subject to Eircom's high wholesale rates and whatever coverage Eircom currently provide.

More bitstream resellers will do nothing to get Eircom to improve their line quality. The same people that currently fail will continue to fail. Eircom will still have a wholesale monopoly. This is what needs to be broken.

should I be running my ConspiracyTheoryGenerator MK1?

Not till they work out all the bugs in it, Adam:D
    The plane with the hole is EI-COX normally based in Shannon, a right banger too.

Muck, maybe thats the bird thats getting me to Brussels next month - i'll bring along a tub of Polyfilla for the hole then.

Geez...this thread was *always* destined to go this way wasnt it:p

Originally posted by Muck
    It's amazing what you can find with Google!

There's lots of photos of EI-COX on the web, but I don't see any holes!

(Now this definitely doesn't have any relevance to internet access!)

There was a hole in the plane ! I trust that Ryanair reported that to the IAA . If they didn't I WOULD worry.

M

• Registered Users Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭thegills

What would happen if you dialled a wrong number...Because it was Ryanair you wouldn't be able to change numbers so you'd have to speak with the person you dialled.

'Hi, you are connected to your caller 15 minutes ahead of schedule!'

Originally posted by thegills
    What would happen if you dialled a wrong number...Because it was Ryanair you wouldn't be able to change numbers so you'd have to speak with the person you dialled.

'Hi, you are connected to your caller 15 minutes ahead of schedule!'
    It doesn't stop people flying with them, I'm not sure it'll stop people making their phone calls with them.

I think that more widespread adoption of CPS would be good for the market in general. I think that, with a bit of advertising, some people might be prepared to give RyanAir a go - heck it's not as if you're risking your life or anything :)

Damn yee all n yer anti-ryanair rhetoric, i say]:)
    Your right, ryanairs not good enough for you lot...this is the airline for you lot here :D

con-eir.png

I agree that there's a side-benefit to this if it proves to be backed by Ryanair and marketed in the same manner as the airline. I'm just saying I, personally, wouldn't touch it with a barge pole. I'm sure lots of other people will, and I'm sure a large proportion of them will be happy with what they get.

Gullible fools. Heh.

adam

• Advertisement

Originally posted by dahamsta
    con-eir.png

I agree that there's a side-benefit to this if it proves to be backed by Ryanair and marketed in the same manner as the airline.adam

Ryanairs customer service ethos is a legend !

M

Advertisement