Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Zimbabwe, Eritrea... Ireland?"

Options
  • 29-09-2003 7:02pm
    Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭

"Zimbabwe, Eritrea... Ireland?
    Patrick Weever blows the whistle on the Irish minister plotting state-regulated journalism"
    -The Observer - September 28, 2003

"RING OUT THE ALARM BELLS AGAINST STATE REGULATED JOURNALISM IN EUROPE
    Has Michael McDowell gone mad? Has power, a notoriously corrosive drug, undone his thought processes and rendered him a gibbering idiot? Or is there more sinister method to his madness?"
    - By Alan Ruddock anti-spin.com

Has McDowell lost all sense of reality?

(edited: fixed quote)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Originally posted by monument

Has McDowell lost all sense of reality?

I think a more appropiate question is

"Did McDowell every have any sense of reality"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 252 ✭✭Floater

Originally posted by irish1
    I think a more appropiate question is

"Did McDowell every have any sense of reality"

What crap. Neither posting has an IPAN (Internet Posting Authorization Number).

While IPANs won't be required until 1.1.2004 anybody in their right mind is getting clearance in advance of posting anything at this stage. IPANs are free for the first year!

Floater

Posting IPAN: IE3894-2324-3201-4492-8711-3284-2992

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Originally posted by Floater
    What crap. Neither posting has an IPAN (Internet Posting Authorization Number).

While IPANs won't be required until 1.1.2004 anybody in their right mind is getting clearance in advance of posting anything at this stage. IPANs are free for the first year!

Floater

Posting IPAN: IE3894-2324-3201-4492-8711-3284-2992

Can someone explain what he means??

The next iteration in the McDowell agenda to force you to get pre-clearance for everything you post on the internet.

Floater

Well I'd prefer if you didn't quote my postings and refer to them like:
    :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Please don't take it seriously and I'm sure a zillion others were wondering about IPANs like u too.

While one assumes that Minister McDowell has good intentions one has to wonder where is it all going?

While one rightly or wrongly associates the PDs with libertarianism, their current dynamic seems to me to be 180 degrees in the opposite direction.

Floater

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Maybe its called FUD or just the poster is trying to display techie superiority :D

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

While one rightly or wrongly associates the PDs with libertarianism, their current dynamic seems to me to be 180 degrees in the opposite direction.

Maybe I don’t know everything there is to know about them, however putting the PDs and libertarianism in the same line more then slightly confuses me.

Are you really trying to link libertarianism to the PDs in the current Irish government?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Economic libertarianism (<cough> Chicago school</cough>). Nothing else.

In other words, libertarianism like Pinochet's Chile.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Originally posted by sceptre
    In other words, libertarianism like Pinochet's Chile.

Ah yes Goodbye Augusto Pinochet - Hello Mary Harney! :rolleyes:

Mike.

Originally posted by mike65
    Ah yes Goodbye Augusto Pinochet - Hello Mary Harney! :rolleyes:
    Er quite. I'm obviously simply talking about economics (I did specify above see?), not anything else Pinochet managed to get up to. And yes, I'm exaggerating (and mentioning Chile(though not exaggarating there - it was run as an economic libertarianism & monetarism lab by the Chicago school of economics) to demonstrate that you can have laboratory-style economic libertarianism regardless of the regime.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

4am is apparently the best time to send the sekrit police around. Little tip for Mikey there.

adam

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 1,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭star gazer

Being in government seemed to change the PDs. They left their ideals behind them once they were able to reduce taxes, nothing alse seemed to matter. They would espouse to being progressive but really since McDowell took office there is a more conservative tinge to what he says and does than anything else. It is amazing to see a Fianna Fáil cabinet bring so dominated by one man.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,932 ✭✭✭The Saint

info@michaelmcdowell.ie

Heres his e-mail address if anyone would like to let their concerns be noted.

As the Official McDowell-Appointed Feedback Review Agent, please send all comments and feedback to me first. Dahamsta Industries Cares About What You Have To Say, As Long As The Boss Agrees With It.

adam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Originally posted by dahamsta
    4am is apparently the best time to send the sekrit police around. Little tip for Mikey there.

adam

They don't know where I am - Hell I don't know where I am!
    :ninja:

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,411 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Originally posted by dahamsta
    4am is apparently the best time to send the sekrit police around.
    Thats why they brought early pub closing time back on Thursday ... make sure you are home in bed before the ERU / ARW come through the dormer window. Of course you are safe at the weekends because the lads only do Mon-Fri.

Why come through the window? The knock on the door is all important to sekrit poleecmen.

adam

The last sekrit polis to visit me came down the chimney. Ooh er missus

Advertisement