Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ronin p807 budget DVD player

Options
  • 29-09-2003 9:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,398 ✭✭✭

I'm in the market for a DVD player. I don't need any "advanced" features such as progressive scan. What I'm after is a basic, multi-region, NTSC/PAL player which will be reliable and give reasonable picture and sound quality. My budget is around 200 euros. I've noticed a Ronin P807 player in Peat's for 99 quid. Seems to fit the bill and is well below my budget. Does anyone have any opinions on this player? The specs are Here

I'm a newbie to this so go easy on me :)

Also, I have a more general question - what are the disadvantages of cheap DVD players such as this. Poor picture quality? Frequent lockups? Poor reliability?

cheers
    BrianD3

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭raphaelS

Hi!

I just got my 3rd "Cheap" DVD player, the first one was a Tokay, then a CyberHome and the last one is a Scott (only 69€ in Power City...!)
    I made progress with these 3 models with sound and image quality and even if I never compared these with branded models (Sony, Toshiba,...) I think the Scott is a very good value for money.

The DTS (you will need 5+1 speakers) is very good, there's also an improvement with the image quality from the CyberHome (richer colours and the black is "blacker").

Now I've heard good things about the Ronin DVD Players...

One comments about the cheap DVD players, generaly they can be zone free by a simple sequence of keys on the remote, and you might find update for the firmware to be made by CD... For the Tokay, I had a hacked firmware with nice features! :D

Raphael

Advertisement